Page: 1

Bin Laden groundwork being laid.

Bin Laden groundwork being laid.#0
Posted: 9/6/04 at 9:07am
It seems as if certain things might be inevitable.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20040904/D84T2OUO0.html
papalovesmambo Profile Photopapalovesmambo Profile Photo
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: bin laden groundwork being laid.#1
Posted: 9/6/04 at 9:20am
i'm curious. how many people see this as a bad thing? or as something that's not so good as it might help, bush?
r.i.p. marco, my guardian angel.

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective
WindyCityActor Profile PhotoWindyCityActor Profile Photo
WindyCityActor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: bin laden groundwork being laid.#2
Posted: 9/6/04 at 9:30am
I just think it will further polarize the election.

Those for Bush will bask in the success.

Those aginast Bush will believe is a shameless election ploy, and be affended at it's blantant attempt at manipulation.

The undecided will remain undecided until the polls finally close.

Hmmm....close that chapter on Afganistan, and start focusing on Iran.
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: bin laden groundwork being laid.#3
Posted: 9/6/04 at 9:33am
papa - We should all pat him on the head and say, "Good job! Your work here is done."
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: bin laden groundwork being laid.#4
Posted: 9/6/04 at 9:38am
who, d? obl? re: bin laden groundwork being laid.

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: bin laden groundwork being laid.#5
Posted: 9/6/04 at 9:42am
papa - didn't you think I'd know you'ld go there? re: bin laden groundwork being laid. It will be interesting to me, if this happens, to see how they play off his not-so-long-ago remarks about not really caring about him anymore (in a nutshell.)
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: bin laden groundwork being laid.#6
Posted: 9/6/04 at 9:46am
oh that? that was probably dowd lowering expectations like he did during the convention when he said, "we'd be happy to come out of this leading by one point." even so, watch for bush himself (should this actually happen) to take the cautious route. he's in campaign mode and leaving the outrageous stuff to his and rove's minions, unlike kerry who feels the need to do his own cumming (someone really needs to explain to him that there's a difference between looking strong, looking presidential and looking like an unhinged crybaby).

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: bin laden groundwork being laid.#7
Posted: 9/6/04 at 9:48am
There were some pretty funny headlines this morning about his phone meeting with Clinton.
Mamie Profile PhotoMamie Profile Photo
Mamie
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: bin laden groundwork being laid.#8
Posted: 9/6/04 at 9:48am
I'm afraid I'm still skeptical. Right now it's just a news story that benefits Bush. If it's at all true, they should fire Black for talking too much. Nothing like letting the prey know you're close by!
www.thebreastcancersite.com
A click for life.
mamie4 5/14/03
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: bin laden groundwork being laid.#9
Posted: 9/6/04 at 9:53am
actually from a tactical point of view, black's message could be purely intentional. making a specific threat could be calculated to make obl move and thus reveal his position. it might be a bluff, but what it sounds like is that they have a specific area staked out and are trying to spook him into revealing his position. whether or not he's actually where they think is a matter of contention and will determine the effectivevess of the tactic. standard stuff, really.

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

Updated On: 9/6/04 at 09:53 AM
Auggie27 Profile PhotoAuggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: bin laden groundwork being laid.#10
Posted: 9/6/04 at 10:20am
Even political illiterates have long speculated that the capture of Osama is the definitive October surprise. Of course that would be a positive. But isn't the context of his capture critical to the world-wide "war on terror?" If the number of Al Q.n disciplines increases on a daily basis, as is widely reported, independent of his hands-on leadership (and clearly, he's not orchestrating all daily activities of sub-strata of Al Q operatives) ... doesn't his later-rather-than-sooner capture (closer to 9/11, or at least the early successes in Afghanastan) run the risk of making him more of a martyr to the cause? His elusiveness has made him almost mythic in the Arab world--the uber-terrorist with Houdini-like escape skills.

Another way of looking at it, even more critically perhaps: The world already seems far more complicated than it did in late 01/early 02, and our inability to find this man -- and the Bush Administration's reluctance to even mention him by name anymore -- has diminished his particular "stature." If you're a Bushie, it's a downside of the almost singular focus on Iraq and Saddam in the last year. Osama's villainous profile has been diminished as the ultimate target; now, his capture might change the landscape of the American election--but ironically do little to change things on the ground in any part of the mid-east where his followers have if anything more of an independent mission of their own.
"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling
Updated On: 9/6/04 at 10:20 AM
CurtainUp2 Profile PhotoCurtainUp2 Profile Photo
CurtainUp2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: bin laden groundwork being laid.#11
Posted: 9/6/04 at 1:03pm
Thanks for the link DGrant. Ahhhhh... the much anticipated, much written about, "October Surprise"! Won't come as much of a surprise at this point, at least not to me. Rather than congratulate him, my question to him would be "What's taken so long?!?" Oh that's right... a little country by the name of Iraq got in the way. Or rather, President Select Bush chose to put it in the way.
There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have altered. - Nelson Mandela
Updated On: 9/6/04 at 01:03 PM
sabrelady Profile Photosabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: bin laden groundwork being laid.#12
Posted: 9/6/04 at 2:42pm
Y'all are presuming that they are still HUNTING for him as opposed to merely laying the ground work for a "TA DA!" in the nick of political time slamdunk for the election.
Heck, Osama's hold up w a Thorazine drip somewhere in a bunker in the Ozarks.
Words that confuse censors:Fecund,penal,taint, titmouse, cockatoo,coccyx, ballcock, cockeye, prickly,kumquat, titter,cunning linguist, insertion, gobble, guzzle, swallow, manhole, rimshot,ramrod,come, fallacious, lugubrious,rectify,Uranus, angina, paradiddle,spotted dick,dictum, frock,cunctation, engorge,turgid,stiff, bush, uvula, crapulence, masticate, Dick Butkus, gherkin and of course the always bewildering lickety split. As you can see, context is every thing. Chuck Lorre Addendum: 555 382 5968 "Sexarama, Hexarama, Queeriosis, Feariosis!" Alec Baldwin Im going to have to science the shit outta this. The Martian