Republican Views

voidiflostorstolen
Stand-by
Stand-by
Republican Views#0
Posted: 8/30/04 at 7:03pm
The Republicans want to make gay marriage and abortion illegal! What right do they have to make personal life choices, and tell Americans who to marry? The nation is going to turn into a dictatorship if this keeps up. Republican Views
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Republican Views#1
Posted: 8/30/04 at 7:04pm
Well, gay marriage is only legal in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. And apparently angry about this, god recently caused an earthquake to happen in Southern New Hampshire.
Chat with the groan-ups: https://twitter.com/NamoInExile
LadyGuenevere
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Republican Views#2
Posted: 8/30/04 at 7:04pm
Oh oh.

Well, not all Republicans agree with that. And I already explained myself out, so if anyone has to ask me why I'm a Log Cabin Republican, I'll be glad to direct you to that thread.

But void, you can't throw a label like that on all Republicans. But I guess that it doesn't stop anyone from doing that.
Zola Q. LaPlaya Profile PhotoZola Q. LaPlaya Profile Photo
Zola Q. LaPlaya
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Republican Views#3
Posted: 8/30/04 at 7:07pm
This is the Republicans' week. Might I suggest to my fellow travelers, that we sit through the convention and see what they roll out?

Then, go crazy next Monday.
Stop worrying about what I'm doing -- focus instead on what you're eating.
voidiflostorstolen
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Republican Views#4
Posted: 8/30/04 at 7:08pm
I am speaking from information accessed through CNN. I guess no one else is allowed to throw labels on Republican's now except Michael Moore.
LadyGuenevere
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Republican Views#5
Posted: 8/30/04 at 7:08pm
I'm wondering what's going to happen with this convention...I believe that many of the speakers are very moderate Republicans and do not agree with that part of the platform. It'll be interesting.

Updated On: 8/30/04 at 07:08 PM
Zola Q. LaPlaya
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Republican Views#6
Posted: 8/30/04 at 7:09pm
Is it on all night tonight?
LadyGuenevere
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Republican Views#7
Posted: 8/30/04 at 7:09pm
Alls I know is that McCain and Giuliani are speaking tonight...if I'm not mistaken.
Updated On: 8/30/04 at 07:09 PM
Zola Q. LaPlaya
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Republican Views#8
Posted: 8/30/04 at 7:11pm
It'll be fun if they speak at the same time.

Hey, am I the only one who still thinks Rudy is a big thug?
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Republican Views#9
Posted: 8/30/04 at 7:21pm
Guenevere - I would never lump individual humans together and refer to their common characteristics. In this case, however, I myself am referring to an organization. And that particular organization publishes its theories and goals in a platform. I will not hold individuals resposible for views that may differ from their own, but the group dogma can and needs to be addressed independently.

One has to wonder, though, if the group's stated positions are such that members find themselves in disagreement, why are they still in the group?
Updated On: 8/30/04 at 07:21 PM
bmeonbway2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Republican Views#10
Posted: 8/30/04 at 7:27pm
DGrant- eloquently expressed- my thoughts exactly.
voidiflostorstolen
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Republican Views#11
Posted: 8/30/04 at 7:31pm
Thank you DGrant. You said it baby :)
I would especially like a response to this:

One has to wonder, though, if the groups stated positions are such that members find themselves in disagreement, why are they still in the group?
LadyGuenevere
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Republican Views#12
Posted: 8/30/04 at 7:46pm
DGrant- Come, come now. There will always be people who differ with their party's platform. There are only those two extremes, Democrat and Republican. People choose what they lean to, and they may not even be a 100% Dem or Republican.

I think that you know it yourself. For example, many people don't agree with what Kerry says, they just want Bush out of there. There are people who don't agree with everything in the party. If you are a perfect Democrat, I applaud you for it.

And if the Republicans want some change in it, why not stay around and try to change it? I don't think that some Log Cabin Republicans are willing to become Democrats, because they would have already, and such a group wouldn't really exist.
Sunfish
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Republican Views#13
Posted: 8/30/04 at 7:49pm
In the case of John McCain and Rudy G., they are both jockeying for the lead spot on the 2008 ticket. They have to make nice now with the conservative base to be in the running then.
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Republican Views#14
Posted: 8/30/04 at 7:53pm
Guenevere - of course there are those who differ - it would be impossible to come up with ideologies that covered all the bases. My question about those who's opinions are differing comes from observing a widening divide within the party itself. Many of the dissatisfactions have to do with their social poicies - which are a major component of political philosophy. Add to that the growing dissatisfaction with what many consider fiscal irresponsibility, and there's reason, I think, to question the integrity of the group.

And as for me, I'll say it again - they are Republicrats to me. The actuality of the outcome varies little. The only reason I have a particular vested interest in this one is because one side makes it clear that they believe in a theocracy - and that is unacceptable to me. Beyond that, the major problem I have right now is having one party controling all three branches (and yes, papa, I DO think they control the court.) I find that unilateral control unnerving - and I would feel the same way if it were the Democrats.
ckeaton Profile Photockeaton Profile Photo
ckeaton
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Republican Views#15
Posted: 8/30/04 at 8:29pm
Unilateral control is a scary thing, I agree.
Hamlet's father.
BlueWizard Profile PhotoBlueWizard Profile Photo
BlueWizard
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Republican Views#16
Posted: 8/31/04 at 1:25am
By the way, has anyone read "The Handmaid's Tale" by Margaret Atwood?

Because these days, I feel like the United States has a real chance of turning into that.
BlueWizard's blog: The Rambling Corner HEDWIG: "The road is my home. In reflecting upon the people whom I have come upon in my travels, I cannot help but think of the people who have come upon me."
spiderdj82 Profile Photospiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Republican Views#17
Posted: 8/31/04 at 1:29am
the biggest ERK I have with the bush administration besides what has already been stated, is the PATRIOT ACT, which gives the government access to your medical records, library databases (books you checked out), your computer, and anything else they want to go into without a warrant. Also, someone can be placed in jail for 6 months without a court room hearing. I mean, that takes away our civil libraties (sp?). I mean, the government has turned into terroists themselves. Can you say constitution (Guess not)
"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2
bwaysinger Profile Photobwaysinger Profile Photo
bwaysinger
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Republican Views#18
Posted: 8/31/04 at 1:52am
"Grant- Come, come now. There will always be people who differ with their party's platform. There are only those two extremes, Democrat and Republican. People choose what they lean to, and they may not even be a 100% Dem or Republican. "

LG, this is something I was discussing with a friend the other day and, like a bell in my head, the real reason this kind of supporter bothers me.
You're saying you don't agree 100% with your party's platform. Fine, that may be true (and I have no reason to doubt your statement).
But, here's the kicker: when you walk into the election booth, you don't get to flick a switch that says "Bush, with reservations." Or, better yet, you don't get to assign a percentage of support to a candidate.
So, when Bush wins, you have sent him a sign: go with the Republican platform 100 percent.
Unfortunately, the same is true of Kerry. But, for my money, I am more than willing to flip that lever and know that Kerry is not going to attempt to make me a second-class citizen.
son_of_a_gunn_25 Profile Photoson_of_a_gunn_25 Profile Photo
son_of_a_gunn_25
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Republican Views#19
Posted: 8/31/04 at 1:59am
The overall problem is as Americans we have this odd blind trust in the politicl leadership that we should not have. (Democrat, Republican, or other.) We trust these politicians who really only care about getting elected and then we complain when all Hell breaks loose. I actually wish Americans cared more about voting and I think that California might not be so stupid in having residents vote on certain issues. Of course then we run into the issue of the media and how biased it is.
My avatar is a reminder to myself. I need lots of reminders...
Updated On: 8/31/04 at 01:59 AM
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Republican Views#20
Posted: 8/31/04 at 2:04am
son-of-a-gun: If the people had been allowed to vote to a majority decision, the Civil Rights Act would not have passed. Currently, if the people are allowed to vote to a majority postion, gays will never be allowed to exist legally. Blind faith in leadership is dangerous, but mob rule can be murderous. We have problems because we have allowed our representative form of government to exist without oversight or control. Once we gave the rights of individuals to corporations, and turned our souls over to the worship of power and money, all hope was lost.
son_of_a_gunn_25
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Republican Views#21
Posted: 8/31/04 at 2:15am
You have stated more eloquently what I meant. I am just really frustrated right now and am not thinking terribly clear (as you can tell from my social security thread re: Republican Views) I have a feeling this country is destined to fall apart in the next 100 years at this rate if we do not make a change. I tend to try to make things simpler than they appear when I am frustrated. My apologies.
bwaysinger Profile Photobwaysinger Profile Photo
bwaysinger
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Republican Views#22
Posted: 8/31/04 at 2:16am
heh, I'm glad you're generous enough to give us 100 more years.
It might only take 4.
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Republican Views#23
Posted: 8/31/04 at 2:19am
Don't apologize! The only people who should apologize are those who are too disinterested to care or become aware.

Just a personal opinion here - having a fatalistic attitude about the future implies a somewhat negative perception of the times in which you live. If you have to live through them anyway, you might as well make them as positive as you can - and maybe that's all the difference that is needed to turn things around. Never underestimate the power of individual creation through the power of 'will.'
son_of_a_gunn_25
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Republican Views#24
Posted: 8/31/04 at 2:29am
Oh I am not saying there is not hope because I believe there is. I have so much hope for the future, but that hope lies in change. I don't believe it is possible for hope to be realized without a change of some sort. (Kind of obvious really) Actually I am pondering the constitutionality of certain issues when it comes to the future of America though I am probably way off base. re: Republican Views My goal is to get people to care whether they agree with my beliefs or not.
Updated On: 8/31/04 at 02:29 AM