Page: 1

SHY, SO SHY, OF SONDHEIM - ny post

KB
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
SHY, SO SHY, OF SONDHEIM - ny post#0
Posted: 8/1/03 at 10:59am
http://www.nypost.com/entertainment/2110.htm

Ouch! He's making this one sound like more of a thud than a bounce. (Sorry, couldn't resist).
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: SHY, SO SHY, OF SONDHEIM - ny post#1
Posted: 8/1/03 at 11:32am
I love the part where Michael Reidel says, "Well, call me simple-minded..." GLADLY! What's his phone number?
Can you hear me now? Twitter: @NamoInExile
mamamia sammy Profile Photomamamia sammy Profile Photo
mamamia sammy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Just when you think that you can't hate Michael Reidel anymore. ...
BroadwayWorld: A home for the dangerously unhinged
Amy Archer
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: SHY, SO SHY, OF SONDHEIM - ny post#3
Posted: 8/1/03 at 11:57am
Don't give Riedel any credence. He doesn't deserve any and he's just trying to get attention by bring down icons of the theatre. Why shouldn't Sondheim and Prince engender respect at this point in their careers? If it doesn't work in Washington, then the path will be clear.

And given Sondheim's reputation, almost all of his shows from Company through Passion have featured substantial changes from their initial stage forms, with songs coming and going left and right. Into the Woods was dramatically rewritten during New York previews. Sunday in the Park was missing the crucial two songs, "Children and Art" and "Lesson #8" when it began New York previews. Those two numbers came in just a couple of days before the critics saw the show. The turmoil during Passion previews is legendary. Merrily, of course, was heavily revised and continued to be revised (but I happen to think Merrily has always been a pretty good show, though the original production was really ugly to look at). Company, Follies, A Little Night Music all featured some very different songs in their out of town tryouts. Not sure about Pacific Overtures, but only Sweeney Todd began performance with pretty much everything in place and just had some cuts and tweaks.

In other words, almost all of Sondheim's shows have gone through substantial revisions on their way to opening on Broadway. JUST LET THEM DO THEIR WORK.

And excuse me, but PANS from the Chicago critics? Hardly. The reviews were unfavorable, sure, but none of them said the show was unfixable, a disaster, a bomb. All were thoughtful with suggestions of paths the authors could take to improve the show.
Only Riedel is screaming flop from the sidelines, and it's because he doesn't understand or care about the process a show has to take to find its final form, nor does he have any alliances on Bounce, so he can be his usual vitriolic self.
SueleenGay Profile PhotoSueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Ouch, this was so mean spirited. I saw BOUNCE at the second preview and although it had a way to go (re-casting, re-writing, re-choreographing) it was far from a bomb. And as posted above SS shows always start out rough. I will be returning to the show next Wednesday to see how far they have come in the last month or so and will post my views at that time. I understand there has not been much changed since previews, but at least the pacing and performances may have improved. I feel the team is probably letting this run find itself and will take the couple of months between engagements to really rework the piece.
PEACE.
SueleenGay Profile PhotoSueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
And another thing…what is he implying that Prince is not committed to a show if he leaves town after opening night? A director’s job is DONE! It now becomes the job of the Actors and Stage Manager and crew to keep the show going according to the Director’s vision. A director is not contracted for the run of the show. Prince probably deserves a long vacation after working so hard for so long. Who is this guy, anyway?
PEACE.
ErikJ972 Profile PhotoErikJ972 Profile Photo
ErikJ972
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I can't stand Micheal Riedel or the New York Post.
Max Bialystock Profile PhotoMax Bialystock Profile Photo
Max Bialystock
Stand-by
Stand-by
Riedel's LUNGE#7
Posted: 8/1/03 at 5:26pm
Riedel's LUNGE

I saw BOUNCE at Opening Night of the previews here in CHICAGO.
I wrote my observations here the next morning.
I didn't love BOUNCE.
I didn't hate BOUNCE.
I know it was a show in progress.
I will see BOUNCE again at the closing night performance.
I hope the pacing and staging are tightened up; if not I'll anxiously await a review from Washington, DC. The creative process always brings surprises, for better or worse!

I have never seen Michael Riedel.
I never want to see Michael Riedel.
What are his theatre credits; even any from high school productions, or what?
Such a vicious old king/queen!
And I have seen a lot of vicious old one's in my time!

I somehow think Prince, Sondheim et all will survive Riedel or a BOUNCE-ing flop! They ARE theatre to their marrow. They are resilient! They BOUNCE.

Riedels story should be called LUNGE!

And yes, I did buy the BOUNCE Beachball from the Lobby store!
I wouldn't buy a RIEDEL ball of any kind from the Lobby store!
---unless I saw it being cut off!

Fondly, as ever, Max
Updated On: 8/1/03 at 05:26 PM