Page: 1

ghosts

ShineOn Profile PhotoShineOn Profile Photo
ShineOn
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
ghosts#0
Posted: 8/30/04 at 3:23am
My apartment is haunted by a ghost. We named her Gertrude... tonight she was ringing keys and shutting doors. A few weeks ago she threw a mirror at me.

Anyone else live with a ghost?
"You! You are the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber! And you, well, I just plain don't like you."
~Stewart Gilligan Griffin
mominator Profile Photomominator Profile Photo
mominator
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: ghosts#1
Posted: 8/30/04 at 6:29am
I did. When I was small, our house was haunted by we think my
grandfather. No one ever talked about it in front of me
because "they didn't want to scare me". It wasn't until I was
married that I told my sisters that I knew and saw Granpa all
the time.
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." Conan O'Brien
ckeaton Profile Photockeaton Profile Photo
ckeaton
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: ghosts#2
Posted: 8/30/04 at 9:21am
The country club that I worked at when I was younger was very much haunted... but only on the second floor of the "old" wing. That's where the very beautiful and opulent "private" dining room was. There was the presence of what we characterized as a family. The husband: a foreboding presence that was associated with a tobacco-like aroma that came and went. The wife: a floral scented atmospheric phenomenon that tended to hover near a beautiful old fireplace, but would occasionally take to the hall. The little girl: a rambunctious little spirit, often credited with hiding things, and making little noises in the hallway when no one is there. There was this beautiful old chandelier in the hallway that had never been rewired after the electrical system was upgraded... it would hang there, powerless... yet grand in its own right.

One night I was finishing up polishing silverware... It was just me and a co-worker wrapping up after a busy night.

She said, "I'm going downstairs".
I replied, "No! Just wait 2 minutes. We can leave together."
"What!? Are you afraid of the ghosts?! She taunted.

Just as she said the word "ghosts". The old chandelier sparked, like I have never seen... sending sparks raining down about 6 inches from her head.

Needless to say, she jumped about 2 feet off the ground, and ran down the stairs. At the time, I was so scared that I dropped the silverware holder and bolted too. In hindsight, I imagine they didn't like to be mocked, that's all. I would've liked to have another experience, but it never happened.

Later on, we did find out that in the mid-1800's, a home existed where the "old" wing sat. Apparently that home burned to the ground one night, taking with it three souls. A mother, father, and their 9 year old daughter.
Hamlet's father.
judy_in_disguise
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: ghosts#3
Posted: 8/30/04 at 9:26am
A friend of mine has a three-year old son who sees his deceased grandpa (dubbed "papa") around their house/ car/ etc all the time.
The grandfather died shortly after the little boy was born, and he seems to be sticking around to watch him grow up.
There have been many times when the little boy claims that "papa is here", such as when "Papa's" favourite song comes on the radio, or when he is in a room with "Papa's" old belongings (although the little boy would not know that these things were related to Papa).
One time he was standing at the foot of the stairs, having a full out conversation with the landing.
When the little boy moved into his new house, he gave me the house tour. He opened the front hall closet, where some of Papa's jackets were (although the little boy didn't know this), looked in, and said "Karen, papa's here".
ShineOn
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: ghosts#4
Posted: 8/30/04 at 11:31am
Yeah, I really believe children and animals are susceptive to these sort of energies. When I was a child I actually believe presences were with me... my mom called them 'invisible friends' (which some were... I made up a lot of them and was aware, but I also believed a lot of them were actually with me... a lot were children... that I said I adopted... and I was a child myself...).

Anyway, I decided to do research on my apartment building to see if there was ever a murder or suicide here. I know its been established since 1912... a lot of things could have happened in that time.

So yeah... Samhain is coming up... does anyone here celebrate this? And if so, care to shed some insight on the whole ritual? I know the energies supposedly get stronger as it nears... which is why I'm curious.

Haunted theatres also fascinate me. My voice coach said Goodspeed is ridiculously haunted. Has anyone had a ghost experience in a theatre???
"You! You are the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber! And you, well, I just plain don't like you."
Matt_G Profile PhotoMatt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: ghosts#5
Posted: 8/30/04 at 11:33am
I believe. I had to deal with that crap for too many years before I moved.
"Noah, someday we'll talk again. But there's things we'll never say. That sorrow deep inside you. It inside me, too. And it never go away. You be okay. You'll learn how to lose things..."
voidiflostorstolen
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: ghosts#6
Posted: 8/30/04 at 11:37am
Daisy I did some research and found out that you're ghosts name is ACID TRIP.
aspiringguy715 Profile Photoaspiringguy715 Profile Photo
aspiringguy715
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: ghosts#7
Posted: 8/30/04 at 11:39am
I believe. We had a recent "scare" over here. My sister and I were watching TV and I thought I heard someone singing. A women singing high opera notes. She muted the TV and we heard three final notes and it stopped. We were SOOO scared. Later that night we were all eating dinner, and my dad was talking or something and we heard it again. 5 notes. My mom got so freaked out, and my dad dubbed it as something echoing in our foyer. Haven't heard anything since.

Maybe Cheno is haunting us!!!
Joel: Nope. Osidius, right there, swoop and cross.
Clementine: Shut the fuck up!
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
CJR Profile PhotoCJR Profile Photo
CJR
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: ghosts#8
Posted: 8/30/04 at 12:30pm
There was just a thread on this not too long ago called "Do You Believe..." I've linked it at the bottom, but here's my thing about ghosts....

My old apartment was haunted. No lie. I didn't truly believe in hauntings till I lived there. There was a man, a woman and a child... to this day, I believe they lived (and died) in my apartment (which was a 3 story house, turned into 3 apartments) waaaay back in the day. I went to the Government Center here to search the public records for my address and all records of ownership before my landlord bought it (in 1985) were 'nonexistant.'

Things started out small... I would sit at my desk in my bedroom, working on the computer; the way my room was set up I had my back to the door when sitting there, and my doorway looked down my small hallway and right into my kitchen. There was a small mirror above my computer and every once in a while I would feel like there was someone watching me... I'd look up and I'd see the glare of a white light floating in my dark kitchen. When I'd turn around, the light would be gone. Sometimes my doorbell would go absolutely wild, ringing out of control. I'm sure some of you will say it was neighborhood kids playing a prank, but this happened one day while I was looking right out my front door and all I could hear was my doorbell going mad.

When sitting in my bedroom (which was at the front of my 3 bedroom apartment) I could hear cabinets in the kitchen open and close, glasses move around, the chairs slide and then the glasses slam down on the counter. I would come home from work at night to find things in the sink that I'd left on the table, and glasses on the counter that I'd never put there. Sometimes I'd come home and smell a woman's perfume (one I don't wear), or I'd smell food cooking. There was also a matter of the heat. The second you'd walk into the kitchen (everyone complained of this, as a matter of fact) you'd get an instant chill which stayed with you all around the back of the apartment. In the back was the kitchen, the other two bedrooms and the bathroom. The furthest bedroom would NEVER get warm, no matter how high I had the heat set. I had people come out and check my heat, I had the landlord there incessently trying to fix it, but everyone told me the same thing: There was nothing wrong with my heat.

The longer I was there, the worse the problems became. One night I walked out of my bedroom to use the bathroom and 'standing' in my kitchen was a shape of light -- a man looking much like a bouncer, with his arms folded across his chest. As an instinct, I turned to go back into my room, but after a moment I'd realized what had just happened and turned around to look. He was gone. Whenever I'd put my phone down in the kitchen (to go into a room in the back of the apt to get something -- the phone was sketchy at best back there) people would hear a woman talking. Everyone always asked me if I had the TV or the radio on and my answer was always no. Every person to be put on 'hold' in the kitchen heard a woman having a conversation with someone, though the other half of the converastion was never heard. As I was getting ready for bed one night about a week after finding the 'man' in my kitchen, I heard my home phone ring. I was already in my room (and the only extension was in the livingroom) so I let it ring into voicemail figuring I'd just retrieve the message from my cell phone which was in my room with me. I was laying in bed waiting for my voicemail to pick up when suddenly the phone cut out, and then came back with a woman's voice. "Are you getting ready for bed?" She asked me. I replied "Excuse me?" She went on "Are you going to bed? Are you getting ready for bed now???" It went back and forth for a few minutes until I finally got incredibly creeped the hell out and hung up.

That same night I was woken up at 4am by a BRIGHT white light in my bedroom. When it was night and I shut off the bedroom light, the entire room was pitch black. Not that night. I focused on a large white orb hovering in the middle of my room and as I rubbed my eyes to look again, it disappeared. Needless to say I did not get back to sleep that night. The following night I was washing the dishes (this caused me to have my back to the hall for the other bedrooms) and as I turned to the table to get the last dish, I saw a small orb of light go from the back bedroom, diagonally across the hall to the other bedroom, hover there for a moment at the door and then disappear.

As more time went by, I wouldn't just hear the cabinets open and shut, I would hear them slam open and slam shut. I'd hear dishes crashing in the cabinets and on the counter and things go flying across the room. Of course I never SAW anything move because once I'd open my door, all the noise would stop. I tended to stay in my bedroom with the door shut quite often. lol It made it worse that I lived there alone... Yeah, I fled to my parents house MANY times in the duration of time I lived in that apartment.

I had the apartment blessed by a priest, I kept holy water in each room, I splashed holy water on an almost daily basis and nothing ever stopped. I finally moved out. I have never in my life been so happy to move out of an apartment.

So yeah, that's my fun story... I definitely believe now.

Do You Believe?
"You're every gay man's wet dream!" ~ MA

If in Heaven you don't excel, you can always party down in hell...

ShineOn
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: ghosts#9
Posted: 8/30/04 at 12:32pm
Oh, look... Void made a funny.
musicalfandukie Profile Photomusicalfandukie Profile Photo
musicalfandukie
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: ghosts#10
Posted: 8/30/04 at 12:52pm
i dont really believe in ghost...i did have a dream about ghost last night tho..i was walking through a cemetary that was haunted on my way to mcdonalds.
Karma76 Profile PhotoKarma76 Profile Photo
Karma76
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: ghosts#11
Posted: 8/30/04 at 1:35pm
I do believe in Ghosts but Daisy do you know anything about the buidlings history?
ShineOn
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: ghosts#12
Posted: 8/30/04 at 2:21pm
That's what I was planning on researching... the building's history, I mean.

However, it seems that Miss Void over here ever so generously took it upon herself to do some research for me. Alas, she only came out of it with a really bad joke.

:)
ChicagoManic Profile PhotoChicagoManic Profile Photo
ChicagoManic
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: ghosts#13
Posted: 8/30/04 at 2:23pm
I really got creeped out by reading all of these. And it's the afternoon! I freak out to easily I think lol.
Carrie: Maybe the past is like an anchor holding us back. Maybe, you have to let go of who you are to become who you will be.
Karma76 Profile PhotoKarma76 Profile Photo
Karma76
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: ghosts#14
Posted: 8/30/04 at 2:40pm
have you googled your address or gone to like the shadowlands website and looked for anything? How long have you been there too??? cause if this started recently that might be odd too.

I had 2 places I lived (one with my parents briefly before I went to college and they have since moved) and one while off campus in college. we named her Elizabeth..haha so i found it funny you named yours too. Now she was an odd one. Throwing pictures down stairs (they were on the wall of our steps to the upstairs and when we came home they were all over the living room scattered) she loved walking up stairs,running up the stairs and slamming doors to rooms (that was scary) and one of the freakiest was a table lamp my roommate used for shading (was an art major) all of a sudden blew. we just thought we had a power surge...oh not even plugged in. So that incident tend to make me believe!!!
ckeaton Profile Photockeaton Profile Photo
ckeaton
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: ghosts#15
Posted: 8/30/04 at 4:09pm
The theatre where I work has a ghost... It's even been profiled on one of those A&E 'Haunted Places' shows that they show around Halloween.

I dealt with her a lot, because when I House Manage I have to go on rounds and turn off all of the lights in the building (The costume shop is especially scary - hundreds of body bag-like things hanging from the ceiling)...

Her name is Sarah, she was a military nurse when the building was an armory... long long time ago. There was an outbreak of cholera. She wouldn't leave the bedside of her patients, even when she herself got sick. She died taking care of sick soldiers. She's been known to follow people...

Personally:
She's whispered my name in the Vom hallway beneath the stage...
She's broken a bar glass that was soundly placed on the bar, and away from anyone.
She's brushed past me in the dark of the wings.

She tends to appear most often to people with respiratory problems... Coughs, colds, etc.
Hamlet's father.