2004 VMAs

jrb_actor Profile Photojrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
2004 VMAs#0
Posted: 8/30/04 at 1:37am
A slow start to the night, but some stunning performances, nonetheless:

Alicia Keys with Stevie Wonder and Lenny Kravitz--out of this world AMAZING! One of the greatest performances I have ever seen.

Nelly and Christina Aguilera--super entertaining

Outkast--spectacular

Jessica Simpson--sang the crap of out "Angels" and looked hot

Usher--looked HOT

Polyphonic Spree--trippy, need further investigation into this group. I half expected them to drink kool aid at the end of their number.

The design of the show was very nice. I started the evening thinking it was the worst one ever, but realized that it was much less annoying than recent years'.

I imagine the "Choose or Lose" and "Vote or Die" was a bit much for some, but here's hoping that the youth of America will actually listen and register to vote--and vote.
Updated On: 8/30/04 at 01:37 AM
spiderdj82 Profile Photospiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 2004 VMAs#1
Posted: 8/30/04 at 1:38am
what did Nelly and Christina sing?
"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 2004 VMAs#2
Posted: 8/30/04 at 1:39am
I didn't know the song, but the performance had a CHICAGO feel to it. It was very well done.
spiderdj82
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 2004 VMAs#3
Posted: 8/30/04 at 1:40am
I love Christinas voice and since she gave up the "skank" look, she has gotten hot. I will def. have to check the one of the billion re-runs this week.
"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2
BroadwayGirl107 Profile PhotoBroadwayGirl107 Profile Photo
BroadwayGirl107
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 2004 VMAs#4
Posted: 8/30/04 at 1:45am
It was very boring without a good host and one of those great Britney Spears moments this year.

It gave me a headache.
"This country, this experiment, America, this hubris: what a lament if no one saw it go. Here today, gone tomorrow. Dissipation is actually much worse than cataclysm."--August: Osage County
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 2004 VMAs#5
Posted: 8/30/04 at 1:47am
A lot of performers that you would think would be there were not--granted many of them are on tour.
JoizeyActor Profile PhotoJoizeyActor Profile Photo
JoizeyActor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 2004 VMAs#6
Posted: 8/30/04 at 1:48am
This was the worst VMA ever.

I think MTV has gone so downhill. I couldn't even sit down to watch it through. Who the HELL were those people in robes with the instruments? Why were they there? At that point I lost it and began to scream at the television.

Everything is RAP anymore, and they all look like such idiots in my opinion. Stupid, stupid, stupid!
spiderdj82
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 2004 VMAs#7
Posted: 8/30/04 at 1:49am
really the only rap group I like is outkast (because their music is so theatrical) and Missy Eliott (she just rocks).........besides that I can do without them
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 2004 VMAs#8
Posted: 8/30/04 at 1:51am
I'm starting to feel out of touch with popular music, too (oh, God I am starting to get old), but everyone that performed is either big right now--or very up and coming, including Polyphonic Spree, which our own Finding Namo recently purchased. Hopefully he can enlighten us.
BroadwayGirl107 Profile PhotoBroadwayGirl107 Profile Photo
BroadwayGirl107
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 2004 VMAs#9
Posted: 8/30/04 at 1:52am
I think I can do without all rap. Though I used to enjoy Will Smith, haha.

And I totally agree Joizey...the show was just horrible.
"This country, this experiment, America, this hubris: what a lament if no one saw it go. Here today, gone tomorrow. Dissipation is actually much worse than cataclysm."--August: Osage County
millie_dillmount Profile Photomillie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 2004 VMAs#10
Posted: 8/30/04 at 3:02am
"really the only rap group I like is outkast..."

Hey Ya! Someone told me during one of the Hugh Jackman interactions at BFO, Hugh asked these little kids what music they liked, and they said Outkast. So the band started playing, "Hey Ya!"
"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 2004 VMAs#11
Posted: 8/30/04 at 9:16am
Hey Ya and Roses are good songs. But the other rap crap is just crap. "Rap is Crap w/o the C"

hehe...I didn't watch it. I HATE MTV!
EddieVarley Profile PhotoEddieVarley Profile Photo
EddieVarley
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 2004 VMAs#12
Posted: 8/30/04 at 9:56am
I will admit I love Nelly..and Alicia Keys is da bizomb!
Are you following BroadwayWorld.com yet on Facebook & Twitter? click here.
Updated On: 8/30/04 at 09:56 AM
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 2004 VMAs#13
Posted: 8/30/04 at 10:01am
I have the new Polyphonic Spree album, Together We're Heavy and it's really good. Being a word person, I think their lyrics are the weakest part, they sound improvised and simplistic. But when you listen to the arrangements, you realize they can't be. They know exactly what they're doing and where they're going, even if it sounds deceptively simple.

I saw the Spree open for Bowie recently (Get well, David!) and they were pretty fantastic. Yeah, it looks cultish, and god knows I am no fan of cults (Hi Tom C., Hi Bobo!), but as Bowie said, "If you don't like the Polyphonic Spree, you don't like music."
Chat with the groan-ups: https://twitter.com/NamoInExile
Kelliexo90 Profile PhotoKelliexo90 Profile Photo
Kelliexo90
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: 2004 VMAs#14
Posted: 8/30/04 at 10:23am
I was at a party so I didn't get to watch it, but when I got home they were actually playing a rerun. I noticed in the beginning(unless I missed it because I was only half watching)that there was no long, like, standup comedy thing(like Chris rock last year I think, and Jimmy Fallon before that) and the beginning performance was nothing really spectacular or shocking.
What is Broadway? A street? Some say it's a street. Some say it is the best street in the world. Others think its terrible. That's the beauty of it, it's terribly beautiful. Some hate it and don't know why. Others love it and don't know why. That's what makes it so wonderful, it's a mystery.
Karma76 Profile PhotoKarma76 Profile Photo
Karma76
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: 2004 VMAs#15
Posted: 8/30/04 at 11:06am
These VMA's were AWFUL!!!!! Ok first Will Smith brings a gift to miami??? Shaq??? I mean come on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I sat 10 minutes in awe (cause that is how long it took for the stupid spiel)

Most of the guests were NOT there (via sataelite is not the same) especially if half of the guest list is using this method. They also ran down names out of sequence to look like there were more guests there performing. Fat Joe, then 15 minutes later the terror squad? You know they are performing together!

Usher....he talked about how his performance was the ultimate performance then lipped synced. He also predictably had water raining on him, to which me and my sister gave a blind date count down to usher removing his shirt. BUT i must admit i was impressed when he took 5 minutes to stare at himself in the mirror on stage, now i can see why he said his performance was amazing since he is so into himself. Sorry but I can not take someone who is so into themselves. it aggravates me. he is a great singer dancer and everything I am not knocking him that way but I was bored.

Also the fact that the only people there it seemed were, Usher, Jayz, Beyonce, Alicia keys, P. diddy and Bruce Willis??? Well at least that is the only people they showed 15 times in a row.

it was horrible.

voidiflostorstolen
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: 2004 VMAs#16
Posted: 8/30/04 at 11:21am
I hate MTV
kissmycookie Profile Photokissmycookie Profile Photo
kissmycookie
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 2004 VMAs#17
Posted: 8/30/04 at 12:36pm
It's a shame when I watch MTV more for the cattiness that develops on Real World/Road Rules/RWRR Challenges than for any music aspect of the channel itself.
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 2004 VMAs#18
Posted: 8/30/04 at 12:37pm
Wait, MTV is still on?
Chat with the groan-ups: https://twitter.com/NamoInExile