kinda OT :: Gay HS in NYC/ Queer Eye mention of Regis and Kelly

broadwayguy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I just saw on Regis and Kelly that they are establishing a gay-only high school in NYC.
Regis also mentioned Queer Eye For The Straight Guy. Yay Jai Rodriguez. He and Kelly is making fun of teh straight guys and how the straighter a guy is the messier he is.
Kelly said it should be renamed Queer Eye For The Pig Guy.

Regis pissed me off though. He said "speaking of those gays" and is being kind of crass about gay men. Although he did ake many a positive comment about gay men to redeem though.

I LOVE Kelly Ripa and her speechs about gay men.

Although, Kelly says she only likes to move in to homes previously occupied be gay men becasue they tend to be better kept up.
Duane Reade
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
um, KINDA OT? More than KINDA.
broadwayguy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Queer Eye = Jai Rodriguez = Rent and Zanna Don't

Promo/publicity for the show = people tune in and see the show = some people go to the show's site = some people find out about Jai being in Rent/Zanna = some people look for info about thsoe shows = publicity and people looking into NY Theatre.
Duane Reade
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
Um, okay. I was addressing your random gay pride drama instead. But yes, I do love Kelly. Don't like Jai. Not a nice guy--or a talent.
broadwayguy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Well, The Queer Eye mention came about during/because of them discussing the new school and Regis's comment, that is why I included it.

Admittedly, Jai is far from my favorite Angel in Rent -- that goes to Justin Rodriguez from the Collins (Non-Equity tour). He was by far the stand out of that cast with Krystal washington as Mimi and Ashton Holmes Mark coming in second. As far as Jai's persona;ity, I have nothing bad to say as I have never had a bad encounter with him.
Duane Reade
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
He's very full of himself. But even worse--he wasn't a very good Angel and was a TERRIBLE Zanna.
BwayTheatre11
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Justin R. was a great Angel. He is also very nice. I got to talk to him and the rest of the cast at a local mall (my mom took me out of school!) and after the show.
CCM '10!
MusicMan
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
A gay high school is just one more example of how a crotch-level mentality has replaced judgment and moral values in our culture. Rather than considering the adolescent as an emerging citizen of our society who needs guidance, discipline and a channeling of his/her libido to constructive ends, the so-called "educators" have established an institution based solely on the students tentative, unformed and developing sexual impulses. What a disgrace to our city.
And the ridiculous TV show and asinine comments made by Kelly Nobody are simply more brain-dead "entertainment" for brain-dead morons. 'Nuff said.
Updated On: 7/30/03 at 01:24 AM
broadwayguy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Um, just becasue you are a teenager does not mean you do not now your sexuality. I knew mine at 12 and it has never once faltered. When a person has come out of the closet, you can be sure they aren't questioning their sexuality in their mind. It is an imperfect solution, but a good one for some students who face physical violence everyday in school due to their orientation. A student can not perform to their full potential in an environment that they feel endangered in.

As for the show, REGIS made the dumb comment. Not Kelly.

As for Queer Eye, some peopel like it. Just becasue you do not, doesn not mean that it isn't a good show. It has recieved outstanding rating for the channel/time slot.
musicaltheatreman
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
there is a all gay high school in dallas. mtv did a true ife on it.
Dollypop
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I teach in the NYC Public School System and know that there has been a gay high school in existence for many years. It's called the Harvey Milk School and it's located somwhere in the Village. What's all the brouhaha about?
"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)
jrb_actor Profile Photojrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
It isn't "crotch level mentality" that they created the school. Being gay isn't just about sex. It becomes an identity (for lack of a better word)--and one that causes these kids to be harrassed or attacked just because they might not act steriotypically heterosexual. Or if they want to date someone--even do the same natural things their straight classmates do at school--hold hands, go to a dance, the homecoming, or prom, etc.

I, speaking as a gay man, think that the answer to the harrassment and attacking of gay kids is not to separate them, but to PROTECT them. To EDUCATE people that it is not ok--no matter what your particular belief or feeling--to harass or attack people. But for some reason, whenever "the gays" ask for protections, it is regarded as special rights. Well, that is BS--it is not special, it is EQUAL. I should have all the same rights as any other American---but I don't. And these kids should be able to go to school like any other kid. But, in this current climate, they can not in most cases. So, until things FINALLY change, I support their being able to go to a school where they can learn and just be kids--and not have to be afraid everyday for merely being gay.

And, I find it wildly surprising that any of this needs to be pointed out on a theatre web site--the first area of society where gay men and women could feel safe. Sorry, but homophobic comments just aren't welcome here.
Updated On: 7/30/03 at 10:20 AM
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
My first homosexual tendency came when I was in 1st grade so it's never too early to start showing signs. (I've got an odd feeling someone is going to reply " How the hell can you know at age 7? " and before you do, its none of your business)

I'm split about this issue of a gay school. On one hand, yes it protects them, they can date now, hold hands in school, etc.

But on the other hand, theyre also just kids getting picked on. Just like overweight people and nerds. Should there be a special school for them as well? I go to a private Catholic high school and get picked on just as a nerd would. There's really no difference. We're just part of the minority.
Updated On: 7/30/03 at 10:37 AM
CapnHook Profile PhotoCapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The purpose of building a school is to TEACH students, that is the number 1 priority. This should not be forgotten.

A guy on the radio kept making cracks about it. "This will bring a whole new meaning to Homecoming Queen." "Will they even have a football team? Soccer, yes, but football?" "Will the teachers be gay as well? Well, that's one way to make us forget about these Catholic priests." I turned off the radio at that point.

I am mixed about the issue as well. I disapprove of the school being built for the most part, but I understand why they want it built. My final say is just to have clubs at public schools for gays & lesbians. Everyone is teased, so what?
"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Yeah because I mean, the sun will rise, and the moon will set, and you learn how to settle for what you get. It'll all go on if we're here or not so who cares? so what?

What if a Principal or Teacher is a homophobe?
What if the students get gay bashed?

I'm starting to sway to approval of a gay school after thinking about it some more.
orion59 Profile Photoorion59 Profile Photo
orion59
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
<>

Yes, at that age sexual impulses are still devloping as they do for many years after. However, sexual orientation at that age is not tentative. People delude themselves into believing teenagers who express a homosexual orientation are just confused, experimenting or going througha stage. they point to the teenagers that turn out later to be hetrosexual as their proof of this. The fact is, these kids know who they are but are told that it's wrong so they spend many useless years trying to be "normal".

Sexuality is set pretty much from birth. Any confusion comes as aresult of being made to feel abnormal.

As far as our "crotch level society", I agree with you there but i've noticed that all the crotch level mentality in movies, TV, books, advertisments, etc, seems to be aimed at the heterosexual male crotch. So, who's to blame for that issue in our society?
http://www.danperezgallery.com
broadwayguy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
This school IS the Harvey Milk school. It is being massivly expaned from two classrooms serving 50 students to a school serving over 100 this year and nearly two the following.

Like I said, an ideal solution where ALL students could co-exist peacefully and not be threatened but that is not the case. If it takes a school such as this for a student to feel safe from harm in the learning environment then good.

I DO take issue with certaoin conservative politicians saying how this is unfair that the Harvey Milk school will recieve tax payer dollars and that Christian private schools won't. First of all, those Christian schoolls teach christian values and have their own ciriculum serving those values and Christian students are are not the victims of attacks the wauy that gay students are. I heard Joe Scarborough say that Christian students are severely persacuted in school and that Columbine was an example of that. That statemebnt offended me using such a horrible event in a way such as he did -- lying.
This 'gay' school will be using the same ciriculum as every public school in the city and state -- NOT 'teaching' or 'promoting' homosexuality. It is no different than any other scool except that the students are gay and it is there to give them a safe environment.
TheaterBaby Profile PhotoTheaterBaby Profile Photo
TheaterBaby
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Having a seperate school because of someone's sexual preference is ridiculous. I know that it does not mean they have to go to those schools and that they can't continue their education where they are now if they so choose, but is this really helping?
Perhaps someone who knows more than I do about these schools can enlighten us. Have the pre-exsisting schools done well? I would think that those kids would still get harrassed by the pin heads from other schools. Only difference is it would be after 3pm.
This is almost like waving the big rainbow flag and saying, "Here I am. I'm gay. Look at me and judge me based on that rather than on my academic achievments."

I believe (as others have said) that being a gay teen is not much different from being the overweight teen, or the gothic teen, or whatever. People (especially young teens) need to learn how to work together with all types of people. Seperating them just sends them the wrong message for when they're older.
"It's the little things; the details, that distinguish the Barbra Streisands from the Rosalyn Kinds."~Gilmore Girls~
broadwayguy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
TheatreBaby,
I understand your point. The thing is not about what happens AFTER school that is being addressed with this -- though that issue must be addressed her as well. The prblem is what happens DURING school hours when these students should feel safe in the learning environment. They shouldn't have to look over their shoulders in the hallway and go through the physical abuse that happens to gay students DURING school housr. Trust me -- the stufgf that the goth kids and fat kids go through IS bad, but it is very very rarely as brutal and hardly ever physical on the scale of what many gay students experience. My high school years were absolute hell.

Even the peopel suporting and developing the school have said that is an imperfect solution and they want to work to where al studentscan feel safe with all other students but that this school provides a safe enviroment for thse kids NOW while they work toward the larger goal.
robbiej Profile Photorobbiej Profile Photo
robbiej
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I was gonna keep out of this, becaue it is truly off topic...but...here goes.

I live near the Harvey Milk school. I see these kids hanging out all the time. Most of them are kids of color: latin and black. And therein lies the problem for them.

The black and latino communities can be remarkably hostile their gay and lesbian members. I'm not exactly sure why that is. There is a theory that the macho image that dominates latino culture causes this as well as the religious affiliation of the black community. Add to that the fact that the public schools in NYC are failing miserably and you create a very hostile atmosphere.

Yes, everyone gets picked on. But the documented mental and PHYSICAL abuse that gay (or perceived gay) students suffer is brutal. YES...the first task should be to educate. But how can one learn in an atmosphere of terror? If these kids stayed in their failing schools, it's possible some might make it. But it's more likely that these kids may not get the education they need, they may end up dropping out and wandering/working the streets, or worse, kill themselves.

Sure, I'm all for 'Can't we all just get along' and 'We shall overcome'. But that, my friends, is not dealing with the reality. Until the educational system in this country is willing to take responsibility for EVERY LAST ONE of it's students, schools like this may be necessary to give kids a chance to learn.
"I'm so looking forward to a time when all the Reagan Democrats are dead."
TheaterBaby Profile PhotoTheaterBaby Profile Photo
TheaterBaby
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I can see that in a sense these schools give those students a chance to better realize that they are not alone. That there are other gay teens out there, that suicide is an option; not an answer, and that they are smart and can be something great. I just wish (and I know that's all I can do in this imperfect society) that there was a better solution.
"It's the little things; the details, that distinguish the Barbra Streisands from the Rosalyn Kinds."~Gilmore Girls~
Amy Archer
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
But substitute 'gay' for African American, or Jewish or any other minority group, and doesn't this reek of segregation? I hate the separation of gay kids from their peers, because it certainly obstructs the path to tolerance and acceptance. I would much prefer a school for children who need a safe haven for any reason whatsoever because their lives and safety are at stake in a "normal" school.
CapnHook Profile PhotoCapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I am not fully aware of the brutality issue against gay students. I attend a school of the arts, people of all kinds accept one another. We have the obese, the latinos, the gays, the lesbians, the jocks, the goths, and yet we all accept each other for who we are. We pick and choose which people we want to be friends with and leave the rest alone.

I did attend a regular public elementary and middle school, and throughout kids have been teased just the same for any reason. Then in high school, the teasing died down a bit.

Everyone can get along, we need a better system. If there is a bully that has gotten some complaints from several students, send him/her to a special school. Problem solved. Make the trouble-makers go to a special school if they cannnot get along.

EVERYONE NEEDS TO SEE THE MOVIE BASED OFF OF THE PLAY, "BANG BANG, YOU'RE DEAD" (the title is the same). Showtime will be selling this on video and DVD soon. It was nominated and won some Emmy Awards and has a GREAT message. If you think the play is good, this movie makes it look like crap. A GREAT message that needs to be shared. http://www.sho.com/bbyd/ or www.bangbangyouredead.com has information about the film.
"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle
Updated On: 7/30/03 at 02:47 PM
broadwayguy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I loved Bang Bang You're dead.
I thought Randy Harrison was wonderful in it. I hope to the stage version that the film was based on eventualy.
robbiej Profile Photorobbiej Profile Photo
robbiej
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Please realize that Michael Bloomberg is not going around, shepherding all the nellie, trannie, butch queers out of the public schools to go to some sort of gay educational ghetto. The studens choose to go to the Harvey Milk school. These kids are at risk...phsycially, mentally and emotionally.

Just because you do not know of any brutality toward gay kids does not mean it is nonexistant. Google the name Jamie Nazonby (sp?) and you will see just one example of the kind of violence there is out there.

Although hatred is wrong eqully across the board, you can't really compare being gay to being African American or Jewish. Jewish and black kids come from families that share the same cultural language. Often times, gay kids do not have anyone in their families that are in their corner from the get go. The isolation can be debilitating. One more point, have you ever read the play BENT? It's about a man who is sent to a concentration camp because he is a homosexual. On the way there, he does an unthinkable act so that he can wear a yellow star instead of a pink triangle. Even in the death camps there was a hierarchy where being gay was the lowest you could be.

The idea that everyone should get along and be with their peers is a wonderful concept that I fully support. But this country still is sorely lacking in the 'with liberty and justice for all' sentiment we all uttered in the morning before school started.

I agree, this high school is not the solution. But if it upsets you, then do something about it. Arm youself with knowledge and fight against what you see to be unjust. But never lose your sense of humor (as I apparently have in these rants).
"I'm so looking forward to a time when all the Reagan Democrats are dead."