I Am My Own Wife Closes October 31 -- To Be Replaced by Whoopi

MargoChanning
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"The Tony-winning play I Am My Own Wife will end its run at the Lyceum Theatre on October 31. As previously reported, the venue's next tenant will be Whoopi Goldberg's one-woman show Whoopi, which is now scheduled to begin performances on November 6 in preparation for a November 17 opening."

A terrific play and a great performance from Jefferson Mays -- sad to see it go.

http://www.broadway.com/template_1.asp?CI=41382&CT=38
"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney
MargoChanning
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Whoops. This probably should go on the main board....
"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney
NYadgal Profile PhotoNYadgal Profile Photo
NYadgal
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Oh, I hate to see it go! (...runs out to buy tickets again...)
"Two drifters off to see the world. There's such a lot of world to see. . ."
Updated On: 8/24/04 at 05:07 PM
luvtheEmcee Profile PhotoluvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Oh no! I haven't seen this yet. Going to buy tickets ASAP.
A work of art is an invitation to love.
NuggetMonkeys Profile PhotoNuggetMonkeys Profile Photo
NuggetMonkeys
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
It ran it's time...
I think it should have been classified as "Special Event" for the TONYs. IT stole the best play award from Frozen, who I thought deserved it.
Was it just me who thought I AM MY OWN WIFE didn't feel like a "Play" perse?
-d.b.j-
Vary My Days.
mominator Profile Photomominator Profile Photo
mominator
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Looks like this is the show I'll be seeing over the Flea Market weekend. So bummed to see this one go as well. re: I Am My Own Wife Closes October 31 -- To Be Replaced by Whoopi
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." Conan O'Brien
Matt_G Profile PhotoMatt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
It is a shame to see it go, but I can't wait for WHOOPI. I've dreamed about seeing her do standup since 1984!
"Noah, someday we'll talk again. But there's things we'll never say. That sorrow deep inside you. It inside me, too. And it never go away. You be okay. You'll learn how to lose things..."
MargoChanning
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Ever see this Whoopi special before? It used to run constantly on HBO for years....
EponineThenardier Profile PhotoEponineThenardier Profile Photo
EponineThenardier
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
popcultureboy Profile Photopopcultureboy Profile Photo
popcultureboy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
There are parts of Fontaine: Why Am I Straight that can still make me laugh now, years after seeing it on TV. If her new (old) show is anything like as funny, I would love to see it. But I am gutted GUTTED that I am going to have to miss I Am My Own Wife. There is talk of Jefferson Mays bringing it to London. He'd better.
Nothing precious, plain to see, don't make a fuss over me. Not loud, not soft, but somewhere inbetween. Say sorry, just let it be the word you mean.
Matt_G Profile PhotoMatt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Margo, of course I've seen it! I think it's hilarious. I just want to see it in person. re: I Am My Own Wife Closes October 31 -- To Be Replaced by Whoopi
"Noah, someday we'll talk again. But there's things we'll never say. That sorrow deep inside you. It inside me, too. And it never go away. You be okay. You'll learn how to lose things..."
MargoChanning
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
popcultureboy --

Her original show is actually a LOT funnier, smarter and creative than "Fontaine: Why Am I Straight?" -- if you liked her second special, you'll LOVE the original show. Mike Nichols is also back on board to direct (ain't he the busy beaver this season?) so I have high hopes for the show.
Rathnait62 Profile PhotoRathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I AM MY OWN WIFE is brilliant - go if you can.

Nuggetmonkeys - after your passionate feelings about CAROLINE closing, I'd think you wouldn't be so quick to refer to another show that didn't have a long run as having run its time. Some people might feel as strongly about this one as you do about CAROLINE.
Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson
Broadwayboobs Profile PhotoBroadwayboobs Profile Photo
Broadwayboobs
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Thanks Margo for posting this. I got my tickets for the final performance. re: I Am My Own Wife Closes October 31 -- To Be Replaced by Whoopi
"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. Ralph Waldo Emerson
beacon1
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Bboobs...

My birthday is Hallowe'en. Enjoy it for me! Wish I could be there.
Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket?

Patrick Wilson Fans --New "UnOfficial Fan Site". Come check us out!

Patrick Wilson Yahoo Group

Patrick Wilson Facebook Fan Page

NYadgal
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
beacon! Wanna come? I have tickets, too. You should join and we can have a party!!
beacon1
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I'd love to but with my budget and my work schedule this fall Buffalo might as well be on Mars instead of just 8 hrs from the City.

*pauses to glean any pity being cast her way*

But you guys party on and let me know how it goes.

I will get to the City and then we can all get together for a grand time.

NYadgal
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Awwww....I wanted to celebrate your birthday with you!

beacon1
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Well...whenever I come to the City we can celebrate then! :o)

And, believe me, if Patrick Wilson comes back to do a show...I will move heaven and earth to be there...(*shakes her fist at the sky*) nothing shall deter me in my appointed rounds! :o)

NYadgal
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
beacon - I will do all I can to make that dream come true!
Such determination must be rewarded!!
beacon1
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Thanks NYadgal...

Just don't warn Patrick, LOL! LOL!

popcultureboy Profile Photopopcultureboy Profile Photo
popcultureboy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
And Whoopi is only a limited run through to the end of January so it's yet another show that I won't get to see. Boo hiss.
Nothing precious, plain to see, don't make a fuss over me. Not loud, not soft, but somewhere inbetween. Say sorry, just let it be the word you mean.
sabrelady Profile Photosabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Really, her bit w Fontaine visiting the Anne Frank house in Amsterdam- "And THAT will save his life!" Always makes me cry- Glad to see Fontaines return.
Words that confuse censors:Fecund,penal,taint, titmouse, cockatoo,coccyx, ballcock, cockeye, prickly,kumquat, titter,cunning linguist, insertion, gobble, guzzle, swallow, manhole, rimshot,ramrod,come, fallacious, lugubrious,rectify,Uranus, angina, paradiddle,spotted dick,dictum, frock,cunctation, engorge,turgid,stiff, bush, uvula, crapulence, masticate, Dick Butkus, gherkin and of course the always bewildering lickety split. As you can see, context is every thing. Chuck Lorre Addendum: 555 382 5968 "Sexarama, Hexarama, Queeriosis, Feariosis!" Alec Baldwin Im going to have to science the shit outta this. The Martian
nystateomind04 Profile Photonystateomind04 Profile Photo
nystateomind04
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
i'll have to try to see "i am my own wife" sometime next month- it looks very interesting

and i'm psyched about whoopi re: I Am My Own Wife Closes October 31 -- To Be Replaced by Whoopi!
lassy
Stand-by
Stand-by
And of course I'll be arriving in NYC on October 31st. I don't buy tickets for a show the night I arrive in case of travel delays. Just my luck.