Page: 1

Mamma mia

POLisPOL Profile PhotoPOLisPOL Profile Photo
POLisPOL
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Mamma mia#0
Posted: 8/23/04 at 10:41pm
A friend of mine (a great actress!) is going to make the audition for the role of Sophie in the spanish production of mamma mia...
She asked me about how Sophie is (a kind of psychological description) and I didn't know what to answer!
anyone can help?

Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!
judy_in_disguise
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Mamma mia#1
Posted: 8/24/04 at 12:05am
this is rushed because it's late and I need to sleep.
Sophie:
1. grew up on an island. Therefore, a little sheltered to the ways of the world.
2. grew up with a single mom. She appreciates family and truly loves her mother. However, her small family leaves her wanting more. She is a lost child trying to find her paternal influences.
3. incredibly naive and young when it comes to love. However, she realizes this by the end, which is why she decides to postpone her wedding to Sky.
4. ususally played as a very sweet, innocent-with-a-sexy-side, endearing girl-next-door.
hope that helped, i'm off to bed!
Phantom2 Profile PhotoPhantom2 Profile Photo
Phantom2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Mamma mia#2
Posted: 8/24/04 at 9:35am
Two words...

TINA MADDIGAN
"I'm learning to dig deep down inside and find the truth within myself and put that out. I think what we identify with in popular music more than anything else is when someone just shares a truth that we can relate to. That's what I'm searching for in my music." - Ron Bohmer

"I broke the boundaries. It wasn't cool to be in plays- especially if you were in sports & I was in both." - Ashton Kutcher
mominator Profile Photomominator Profile Photo
mominator
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Mamma mia#3
Posted: 8/24/04 at 9:43am
The "girl next door" is a great choice of words.
Sophie wants to know what lies beyond her island home as well.
She also has a wonderful wild and free spiritness about her as
well. I hope this helps. Best of luck to your friend!
B re: Mamma mia
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." Conan O'Brien
broadwayguy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Mamma mia#4
Posted: 8/24/04 at 11:08am
AMEN PHANTOM2!
broadwaybaby87
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Mamma mia#5
Posted: 8/24/04 at 12:11pm
i auditioned for the broadway and national tour production... i was typecast. re: Mamma mia i didn't even get to sing... grrrr
"It was like being high when you reach those high notes." ~Bernadette Peters
LadyGuenevere
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Mamma mia#6
Posted: 8/24/04 at 12:13pm
Broadwaybaby- how old are you? Does the 87 correspond to the year you were born?

I'd think that you'd be too young for any role on that stage.
judy_in_disguise
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Mamma mia#7
Posted: 8/24/04 at 12:14pm
that's what I was thinking too.
millie_dillmount Profile Photomillie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Mamma mia#8
Posted: 8/24/04 at 12:15pm
"which is why she decides to postpone her wedding to Sky..."

Thanks for saying that before I got to see the show. Lol, I probably never would have seen it and asked what happened at the end, anyways.
"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611
Phantom2 Profile PhotoPhantom2 Profile Photo
Phantom2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Mamma mia#9
Posted: 8/24/04 at 12:34pm
Girl Next Door types are soooooooooooooooo hot!
"I'm learning to dig deep down inside and find the truth within myself and put that out. I think what we identify with in popular music more than anything else is when someone just shares a truth that we can relate to. That's what I'm searching for in my music." - Ron Bohmer

"I broke the boundaries. It wasn't cool to be in plays- especially if you were in sports & I was in both." - Ashton Kutcher
judy_in_disguise
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Mamma mia#10
Posted: 8/24/04 at 1:03pm
haha i concur!
judy_in_disguise
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Mamma mia#11
Posted: 8/24/04 at 1:07pm
I was just thinking.
I've seen Mamma Mia more times than I'd like to admit in Toronto. I've seen four or five Sophies.
They are ALL shortish (5'2'' to 5'4'' I think), curvy (not overly chubby but not slender), blondes.
ALL of them.
Is this just a Toronto thing? Tina Maddigan is a perfect picture of this phenomenon. Are there any brunettes over 5'6'' playing Sophie anywhere? Please give me hope!
mominator Profile Photomominator Profile Photo
mominator
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Mamma mia#12
Posted: 8/24/04 at 10:36pm
That is what wigs are for.
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." Conan O'Brien