Page: 1

The Exorcist

nystateomind04 Profile Photonystateomind04 Profile Photo
nystateomind04
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Exorcist#0
Posted: 8/21/04 at 1:52am
wow. really, really bad movie. the last twenty minutes is a mere parody of the original, skip this one- i should have known better.
Updated On: 8/21/04 at 01:52 AM
Glebb Profile PhotoGlebb Profile Photo
Glebb
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: The Exorcist#1
Posted: 8/21/04 at 1:56am
Thanks for the heads up. There are hardly ever any good movies any more.
" ...the happiness in the tune convinces me that I'm not afraid."
Auggie27 Profile PhotoAuggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: The Exorcist#2
Posted: 8/21/04 at 1:28pm
The delayed NY Times review said the movie is rife with children being shot, torn apart by animals, and otherwise tortured. Whose idea for a fun summer movie was that? Jeesh, in some ways, I have to say, this is a wasted opportunity. Father Marin is a character worth exploring, no? There are worse premises for a prequel.
"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling
popcultureboy Profile Photopopcultureboy Profile Photo
popcultureboy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: The Exorcist#3
Posted: 8/21/04 at 1:30pm
The delayed NY Times review said the movie is rife with children being shot, torn apart by animals, and otherwise tortured. Whose idea for a fun summer movie was that?

Mine, definitely.
Nothing precious, plain to see, don't make a fuss over me. Not loud, not soft, but somewhere inbetween. Say sorry, just let it be the word you mean.
Updated On: 8/21/04 at 01:30 PM
iflitifloat Profile Photoiflitifloat Profile Photo
iflitifloat
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: The Exorcist#4
Posted: 8/21/04 at 1:43pm
...nevermind...

I was about to make a snotty comment, but will leave it to your imagination.
Sueleen Gay: "Here you go, Bitch, now go make some fukcing lemonade." 10/28/10
Updated On: 8/21/04 at 01:43 PM
popcultureboy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: The Exorcist#5
Posted: 8/21/04 at 1:46pm
Oh dear LORD. I was clearly not being serious.
Nothing precious, plain to see, don't make a fuss over me. Not loud, not soft, but somewhere inbetween. Say sorry, just let it be the word you mean.
iflitifloat
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: The Exorcist#6
Posted: 8/21/04 at 1:47pm
I know....that's why I deleted "a**hole"...cuz I realized that didn't come across tongue in cheek either. re: The Exorcist
popcultureboy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: The Exorcist#7
Posted: 8/21/04 at 1:49pm
Phew.
iflitifloat
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: The Exorcist#8
Posted: 8/21/04 at 1:52pm
I'm a little slow out of the gate today....
popcultureboy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: The Exorcist#9
Posted: 8/21/04 at 1:58pm
As am I, it seems.

But to drag this back on topic, did they really think firing Paul Schrader and ditching his version and then hiring Renny Harlin to reshoot the movie would result in a better film? Did they?
nystateomind04
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: The Exorcist#10
Posted: 8/21/04 at 2:31pm
"The delayed NY Times review said the movie is rife with children being shot, torn apart by animals, and otherwise tortured."

they aint lyin'. and it really isn't neccessary at all, either. at times it seems like the director is trying to evoke all the power of hell and put it on the screen to keep the audience constantly afraid, when in reality, it is so much to concentrate on that it gets out-of-hand. when the possessed woman comes out, it's all over- i laughed my head off.
SNAFU Profile PhotoSNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: The Exorcist#11
Posted: 8/21/04 at 3:49pm
The demonic make up almost seemed a parody of the Dick Smith work done in the original film.
The film itself was all over the place and the technique of a shadowy figure standing behind someone who turns out to be not to be what one believes was overused and became quite tedious.
The tourtured child by laughable CGI Hyenas was a pretty impotent attempt at building fear and a sense of horror.
The Exorcist: The Beginning is by far the worst movie I have seen in many a year and almost makes the second Exorcist movie look like a film classic!
Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!
EddieVarley Profile PhotoEddieVarley Profile Photo
EddieVarley
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: The Exorcist#12
Posted: 8/21/04 at 4:55pm
this was so dreadful MY head was spinning!
Are you following BroadwayWorld.com yet on Facebook & Twitter? click here.
Matt_G Profile PhotoMatt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: The Exorcist#13
Posted: 8/21/04 at 5:08pm
DAMNIT! I was hoping this was going to be good. I can't remember the last time I saw a really scary movie in the theatre.
"Noah, someday we'll talk again. But there's things we'll never say. That sorrow deep inside you. It inside me, too. And it never go away. You be okay. You'll learn how to lose things..."
nystateomind04
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: The Exorcist#14
Posted: 8/21/04 at 7:14pm
really, if you look at the parody of the make-up used in "scary movie 2"- it resembles that used in this movie. what complete and total ****.
spiderdj82 Profile Photospiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: The Exorcist#15
Posted: 8/21/04 at 9:18pm
I thought it was Scary as HELL. But, again......I hated the original. I agree the ending was almost a blatant rip off the original, but I thought it was 100% better than the original. GO SEE IT!!!!!
"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2
Broadwaylady Profile PhotoBroadwaylady Profile Photo
Broadwaylady
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: The Exorcist#16
Posted: 8/21/04 at 11:01pm
I liked it. I was always curious as to how Marin got started doing exorcisms. I thought the movie was good. The only thing was the demon gal has the same "look" as Linda Blair.
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by moments that take our breath away." "Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain."
nystateomind04
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: The Exorcist#17
Posted: 8/22/04 at 12:01am
better than the original? you've got to be kidding me.
spiderdj82 Profile Photospiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: The Exorcist#18
Posted: 8/22/04 at 9:14am
no. I thought the original was majorly over-hyped (still is) and I fall alseep everytime I watch it. The actual exorcism is the only good part of that movie. This movie has everything that makes a horror movie great: Suspense, blood, mystery, Satan (lol), and many other things. Another reason why I liked it, was because it showed the power of hell. In the original, the only thing that showed the power of hell was the actual exorcism. This movie showed that SATAN is not to be messed with. I don't know........I just thought that everything came together in this movie better, although I do agree with you about the ending. I wish they would have done something more original.
"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2
boborunstheshow Profile Photoboborunstheshow Profile Photo
boborunstheshow
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: The Exorcist#19
Posted: 8/22/04 at 9:27am
just how did this movie end?
Its Aberqurque NM for me. Speaking Spanish. Be Back September 06.
Mister Matt Profile PhotoMister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: The Exorcist#20
Posted: 8/22/04 at 10:28am
The original is still the scariest movie I have ever seen and I have never seen the entire film in one sitting. This new Exorcist is not scary in the least. It was laughable. The script was awful, the story was silly and tried to cover way too much territory (how many times do we have to include Nazis?), and the special effects were often bad or silly (the animated hyenas looked like runaway extras from The Lion King). Sorry, but the original is a classic example of great filmmaking. The best moments in this film don't even come close to the worst moments of the original. Well, the best moments in this film might pass for made-for-tv miniseries, but that's about it.
"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
nystateomind04
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: The Exorcist#21
Posted: 8/22/04 at 2:38pm
i have to agree with mister matt. the parts where the filmmaker tried to show us the "power of hell" were when i got really irritated. the claustraphobia of the original is what still scares me to death. but, to each his own.