joeyjoe Profile Photojoeyjoe Profile Photo
joeyjoe
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Mamie Profile PhotoMamie Profile Photo
Mamie
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I just read that a few minutes ago. This guy is a REAL champion, isn't he? Fantastic.
www.thebreastcancersite.com
A click for life.
mamie4 5/14/03
Rathnait62 Profile PhotoRathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
How does this make him a "real" champion? He's had all the publicity he could dream of (and he got even more from this act), he keeps himself from possibly not coming in first and therefore having a perfect streak, and he will still get the gold medal if the team wins. Plus he can relax! Sounds like a win-win to me.
Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson
Updated On: 8/20/04 at 05:30 PM
StickToPriest Profile PhotoStickToPriest Profile Photo
StickToPriest
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
It is weird how he will still get a medal if the team medal's (which they will). I never knew that.
"One no longer loves one's insight enough once one communicates it."

The opposite of creation isn't war, it's stagnation.
joeyjoe
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
do you really think he came to the Games wanting all this publicity? seems to me it was Speedo that spread the hype about him by offering him a million dollars to bring home 8 gold medals... he wasn't the least bit disappointed about not having done it, in fact stating that he had a gold medal, the rest is just playtime... i don't think this is orchestrated at all, but a way to allow other team members to participate... good sportsmanship perhaps? must we be so cynical about it?
Updated On: 8/20/04 at 06:18 PM
Rathnait62
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Silly me. Why would someone entering the Olympics in order to win gold medals and make history want publicity? I AM cynical.
Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson
NYadgal Profile PhotoNYadgal Profile Photo
NYadgal
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I think it's odd that he would receive a medal even if he didn't participate.

Did the member of the American women's gymnastics team who wasn't able to participate in the All-Around the other night (when the team won a silver) win a medal? I don't think so - because this morning on the Today Show all the members had their medals around their necks and she wasn't wearing one...

I know every sport has different rules, but it doesn't make sense to me...
"Two drifters off to see the world. There's such a lot of world to see. . ."
Ruffian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
He gets a Gold if the US Team wins, because he was part of the earlier heats for this race
joeyjoe
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
he is one of the best swimmers in the world, in the Olympics... forgive him for wanting to win gold medals... make history? well, duh, of course he's going to make history, just as Paul Hamm did, just as all the medal winners will do... do you think he's doing this for publicity? for what gain? endorsements? he had that before he even got to Athens, just like many other athletes... yes, he'll still get the gold medal, or any medal the team wins, but is that his fault? nope, them's the rules of the competition...
BwayTheatre11
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Screw the publicity. He thought of his teammate, who has not won a metal, and let him have a chance to win one. So what if he gets a metal either way, Ian would not have. He thought of someone else and not JUST himself. That is what makes him a REAL champion.
CCM '10!
Mamie Profile PhotoMamie Profile Photo
Mamie
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
If they win he will get a medal because he did participate - in the prelims that got them there. Those are the rules of that sport. By allowing another team member to take his place, he gives the other fellow a chance to also get a medal. Be cynical if you want, I say that takes sportsmanship and caring for his teammates. I wish more people his age showed that kind of thinking.
www.thebreastcancersite.com
A click for life.
mamie4 5/14/03
Rathnait62
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
You all misunderstood me. I'm not saying this particular move was FOR publicity. I'm saying he has already gotten more out of this than most people will ever get out of their entire lives. So we shouldn't elevate him to sainthood for giving up one small piece of it. Perhaps he's tired and wants to relax and enjoy the rest of the Olympics without stress. He has that option, so he took it.
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Rathnait - your assessment cannot be faulted for inaccuracy, but I'm not sure it ackowledges fully the thought that he simply didn't have to do it - and that many in todays culture wouldn't - at least by the examples we are shown.
joeyjoe
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
ah, rath, thank you for clearing that up for me... i did mis-understand what you were saying... now, i see from where you're coming... sad to say and unfortunately, the media will hype this up as well, and then we'll all be tired of him...
JustAGuy Profile PhotoJustAGuy Profile Photo
JustAGuy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"and he got even more from this act"

What act might that be??

How amazingly cynical of you, to doubt the guys motives. He's giving his team mate the opportunity to win a gold medal he would otherwise not be able to compete for.

He may be tired. And feels that by passing on this event he will give his team a even better shot at winning.

These guys have a rivalry, instead of reveling in his win over his rival he offers him an opportunity that will allow him to stand on the podium as a champion. One wonders if you would offer your rival the opportunity in the spotlight even though it might bet better for the team. I'd play on Michael Phelps team anyday as opposed to yours.
"Just a Guy. Your feelings are touching. I am gladdened by the thought that you will one day wind up 6 feet under as we all do." - MrRoxy ------ "I do not suggest you walk out the door onto a New York street with your vulnerable child part exposed and not protected..." - Jason Bennett
alterego Profile Photoalterego Profile Photo
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Who is this guy Phelps? Until the beginning of the Olympics I had never heard of him (I'm in Australia). Has he had much publicity prior to the last few weeks?
LadyGuenevere
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Yay for Aussies! (I love the Aussie swim team.)

He's pretty major in America- I guess he's our next champion over here. He's won medals in every event that he's entered so far...I think he has more than 5 medals right now.
SammyGal
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
awww Phelps<33

the thing is, he'll def. be back for the next Olympics and then he'll be stronger and better and more of a threat so then he can try and break Spitz's record. Good for him for now!!
On a clear day I can see myself for miles ~Taboo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
alterego - he hasn't had the mainstream press like he's had for these games, but he's known to people who follow swimming. And he seems to be making good on his potential - much like your Thorpe re: Phelps passing on his final event?!?! ** POSSIBLE SPOILERS ***
alterego Profile Photoalterego Profile Photo
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Thanks for the clarification!
KMF_NYC Profile PhotoKMF_NYC Profile Photo
KMF_NYC
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I think it's a terrific thing for him -- their swims are almost identical in total time --- heck he won the 100 BF by four one-hundreths of a second --- Crocker knew he had two golds on the line when he swam the individual.
Phelps is thinking of the team AND another individual -- he knows there is no risk of the team losing and his lettinf Crocker share in the glory of gold -- well, to me that's a true test of character that passes with high marks
"Sir K, the Viscount of Uppity-shire...." -- kissmycookie
Rathnait62
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
JustAGuy, read ALL my posts on this thread before attacking me. Thanks.
Type_A_Tiff Profile PhotoType_A_Tiff Profile Photo
Type_A_Tiff
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
JAG - Rath was saying that he's already got a lot of publicity (not necessarily from his own doing - just an observation) and that he has nothing to lose. Period.

I agree. And I think it's very sportsmanlike of him to give up his spot. I'm glad he gave it to Ian Crocker, and not that cocky, arrogant Gary Hall who won the 100m yesterday and was bitter about not being on the relay. No class. He didn't even acknowledge the USA swimmer he beat next to him.
"It's not always about you!!!" (But if you think I'm referring to you anyway, then I probably am.)

"Good luck returning my ass!" - Wilhemina Slater

"This is my breakfast, lunch and f***ing dinner right here. I'm not even f***in' joking." - Colin Farrell