Page: 1

book suggestions?

showmethetony Profile Photoshowmethetony Profile Photo
showmethetony
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
book suggestions?#0
Posted: 8/20/04 at 4:39pm
Hello Everyone - I think something like this was up a short while ago but I am asking again. I am just looking for something awesome and inspiring to read. I just finished Alice Walker's The Color Purple. It was amazing. I have always loved the movie and finally just read it. When I read the last chapter on the bus this morning I cried like a baby. Anyway - I am devouring every book that crosses my path this summer - please help to fuel this energy with some good suggestions. Much appreciated!
when you grow up surrounded by willful ignorance you have to believe mercy has its own country and that it's round and borderless ~Animal, Ani Difranco
Jimmcf Profile PhotoJimmcf Profile Photo
Jimmcf
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: book suggestions?#1
Posted: 8/20/04 at 4:43pm
"The Time Traveller's Wife" by Audrey Niffinger
My mother always used to say, "The older you get, the better you get, unless you're a banana." - Rose Nyland
jacobtsf Profile Photojacobtsf Profile Photo
jacobtsf
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: book suggestions?#2
Posted: 8/20/04 at 4:44pm
Both "the DaVinci Code" and "Angels and Demons" are wonderful

Read "Amgels and Demons" first. I did not and regretted it
David walked into the valley With a stone clutched in his hand He was only a boy But he knew someone must take a stand There will always be a valley Always mountains one must scale There will always be perilous waters Which someone must sail -Into the Fire Scarlet Pimpernel
redhotinnyc2 Profile Photoredhotinnyc2 Profile Photo
redhotinnyc2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: book suggestions?#3
Posted: 8/20/04 at 4:51pm
I go back and re-read A Prayer for Owen Meany every few years = its very spiritual and a great mystery, and a wonderful human intereste story. I think its one of the best books ever written. by John Irving (famous for The World According to Garp, Hotel NewHampshire, and The Cider House Rules)
"I don't really get the ending,all i can go with is when after several months,Judith saw Pat sang,and later she kissed him on the toilet,after that the story back to where Pat went down from the stage after he'd sung,and he went to the italian lady.I just don't get it,what Judith exatcly meant when he kissed Pat that she had seen,and did Pat end up together with The Italian Lady?Please help me,thank u very much!" Quote from someone on IMDB in reference to a movie he/she didn't understand. Such grammar!
Craig Profile PhotoCraig Profile Photo
Craig
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: book suggestions?#4
Posted: 8/20/04 at 4:52pm
I agree with Time Travellers Wife and I'll add The Bridge Across Forever by Richard Bach (who also wrote Jonathan Livingston Seagull)
"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men" - Willy Wonka
LongIsland Grl Profile PhotoLongIsland Grl Profile Photo
LongIsland Grl
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: book suggestions?#5
Posted: 8/20/04 at 5:19pm
I LOVE to read so here are my favorites:

Classics
Pride and Prejudice
Crime and Punishment
Wuthering Heights
Les Miserables

Pre WWI (Also called modern)
Mrs. Dalloway
To the Lighthouse
Light in August

Contemporary
Love in a time of Cholera
Anything by Dan Brown (of DaVinci fame)
The Lovely Bones
The Secret Life of Bees
and if you want a good cry read Good Grief. I bawled.
Updated On: 8/20/04 at 05:19 PM
Delphine Profile PhotoDelphine Profile Photo
Delphine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: book suggestions?#6
Posted: 8/20/04 at 5:54pm
If you haven't already read it, Rubyfruit Jungle by Rita Mae Brown.
"I am open-minded and accept Delph for who she is, a naked blue crackwhore." - Insomniak
"And they poke me with wittled down popsicle sticks." - Ebonic about the Brooklyn shills
KMF_NYC Profile PhotoKMF_NYC Profile Photo
KMF_NYC
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: book suggestions?#7
Posted: 8/20/04 at 5:57pm
here is the thread we did a couple weeks ago -- LOTS of great suggestions
Great Reads
"Sir K, the Viscount of Uppity-shire...." -- kissmycookie
StickToPriest Profile PhotoStickToPriest Profile Photo
StickToPriest
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: book suggestions?#8
Posted: 8/20/04 at 5:59pm
I loved THE LOVELY BONES

Great Expectations~Charles Dickens
1984~George Orwell
Animal Farm~George Orwell
Who's Your Caddy?~Rick Reilly
Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them~Al Franken
Murder on the Orient Express~Agatha Christie
Sondheim on Music~Horowitz
The Chronicles of Narnia~ C.S. Lewis
Anything by C.S. Lewis

Just a random list off the top of my head.

"One no longer loves one's insight enough once one communicates it."

The opposite of creation isn't war, it's stagnation.
Delphine Profile PhotoDelphine Profile Photo
Delphine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: book suggestions?#9
Posted: 8/20/04 at 7:10pm
If you're going to read "The Lovely Bones", you also have to read "Lucky" by the same author.
"I am open-minded and accept Delph for who she is, a naked blue crackwhore." - Insomniak
"And they poke me with wittled down popsicle sticks." - Ebonic about the Brooklyn shills
BlueWizard Profile PhotoBlueWizard Profile Photo
BlueWizard
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: book suggestions?#10
Posted: 8/20/04 at 8:44pm
"At Swim, Two Boys" by Jamie O'Neill is perhaps the greatest gay-themed novel ever written. It's an epic tome with beautifully rich, poetic language. It's the "Ulysses" of gay literature, or the Great Gay Novel.
BlueWizard's blog: The Rambling Corner HEDWIG: "The road is my home. In reflecting upon the people whom I have come upon in my travels, I cannot help but think of the people who have come upon me."
showmethetony Profile Photoshowmethetony Profile Photo
showmethetony
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: book suggestions?#11
Posted: 8/20/04 at 11:29pm
Thanks everyone! There are some titles here I am not at all familiar with and that is exciting. I HAVE read Lovely Bones and Lucky - both excellent. Also, I just read the DaVinci Code last week, I didn't know about Angels and Demons, is reading them in this order going to spoil it for me?

Here are a few of my own suggestions

You Are Not A Stranger Here by Adam Haslett - just a warning this book is depressing - it is a collection of short stories, mostly gay themed, almost all of them dealing with serious mental health issues or physical illness. The writing is incredible.

Oranges Are Not The Only Fruit ~Jeanette Winterson
Midnight In The Garden of Good and Evil ~John Berendt
Coloring Book ~boice Terrel Allen
My Heartbeat ~Freymann - Weyr (this is a great book for high school kids to read)
Speak - can't remember the author, also a good book for high school kids, especially young women
when you grow up surrounded by willful ignorance you have to believe mercy has its own country and that it's round and borderless ~Animal, Ani Difranco
Plum
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: book suggestions?#12
Posted: 8/21/04 at 12:05pm
Everything was Poassible, by Ted Chapin
amasis Profile Photoamasis Profile Photo
amasis
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: book suggestions?#13
Posted: 8/21/04 at 12:16pm
Just some random favorites off the top of my head...

"Everything is Illuminated" - Jonathan Safran Froer
"The God of Small Things" - Arundhati Roy
"In the Skin of the Lion" - Michael Ondaatje
"Wall of the Sky, Wall of the Eye" - Jonathan Lethem
"Motherless Brooklyn" - Jonathan Lethem
"Park City" - Ann Beattie
"The Mother Tongue" - Bill Bryson (not fiction. very good read about the English language, though.)
"History of the World in 10 1/2 Chapters" - Julian Barnes
"Kissing in Manhattan" - David Schickler
BudFrump23 Profile PhotoBudFrump23 Profile Photo
BudFrump23
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: book suggestions?#14
Posted: 8/21/04 at 8:10pm
My favorite book is "A Walk In The Woods", also by Bill Bryson.
I'm as jumpy as a virgin at a prison rodeo!
zoran912 Profile Photozoran912 Profile Photo
zoran912
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: book suggestions?#15
Posted: 8/21/04 at 8:15pm
I am currently reading The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky. I love it. It's written in letter format, so I really feel myself drawn into it.

Here's the back-of-the-book description:

Standing on the fringes of life...

offers a unique perspective. But there comes a time to see what it looks like from the dance floor.

This haunting novel about the dilemma of passivity vs. passion marks the stunning debut of a provocative new voice in contemporary fiction: The Perks of Being a Wallflower.

This is the story of what it's like to grow up in high school. More intimate than a diary, Charlie's letters are singular and unique, hilarious and devastating. We may not know where he lives. We may not know to whom he is writing. All we know is the world he shares. Caught between trying to live his life and trying to run from it puts him on a strange course through uncharted territory. The world of first dates and mixed tapes, family dramas and new friends. The world of sex, drugs, and The Rocky Horror Picture Show, when all one requires is that perfect song on that perfect drive to feel infinite.

Through Charlie, Stephen Chbosky has created a deeply affecting coming-of-age story, a powerful novel that will spirit you back to those wild and poignant roller coaster days known as growing up.

It's an amazing book.
Updated On: 8/21/04 at 08:15 PM
Guffman Fan Profile PhotoGuffman Fan Profile Photo
Guffman Fan
Swing
Swing
re: book suggestions?#16
Posted: 8/21/04 at 10:59pm
Anyone read "She's Come Undone" by Wally Lamb? Awesome- I really found myself caring about the main character and I didn't want the book to end.

I went through a period of reading about the friendships of women and loved reading "The Last Girls", "Angry Housewives Eating BonBons" and currently, "The Sweet Potato Queens Book of Love"- all great for that type of book.

I agree about "Lovely Bones"- and can also suggest "Sickened"- the true story of a young women whose mother suffers from Munchausen Syndrome. Hope this gives you some variety- I like reading all types of things!
fae Profile Photofae Profile Photo
fae
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: book suggestions?#17
Posted: 8/22/04 at 4:15am
wow.... there are some great books out there. showmethetony... if you liked the feel of "the color purple," you will probably love "their eyes were watching god."
also.... for those of you out there that enjoy a good new york read i would recommend "emma who saved my life."

and... "a confederacy of dunces" is a priceless study of random characters.

inspirational read? i would choose "way of the peaceful warrior"
Ocean Breeze soap. It's just like taking an ocean cruise only there's no boat and you don't go anywhere.
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: book suggestions?#18
Posted: 8/22/04 at 7:06am
As a random selection to add to your list I would say Cry to Heaven by Anne Rice.

And by-the-by, thank you Craig for referencing Jonathon Livingston Seagull, which is my own personal version of the bible.

Page: 1