NYC curbside Louis Vuitton: fake or stolen?

~FloweryFriend~ Profile Photo~FloweryFriend~ Profile Photo
~FloweryFriend~
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
So I bought a fake Louis Vuitton wallet on the street in New York.
It is very convincing.
And the guy selling it to us seemed scared to death of the cops around the area.

What are the odds that it's real?
Like, stolen and sold on the street...
Does that ever happen?

And if it is indeed real, did I commit any sort of crime by buying it?
I starred in a short film called Magnetic Personality. Check it out!
newyorkuniq Profile Photonewyorkuniq Profile Photo
newyorkuniq
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
just a knockoff :)
kissmycookie Profile Photokissmycookie Profile Photo
kissmycookie
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
It's beyond fake. So no crime committed. As stated by Undiscovered, it's illegal to sell on the sidewalk without a license. So that's what the guy was afraid of the cops.
BroadwayMonkey Profile PhotoBroadwayMonkey Profile Photo
BroadwayMonkey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I bought some in NY, thinking they were knockoffs. Under further inspection, I have come to the conclusion they were real. So I'm a criminal. Damn myself.
Real men are tenors.
Broadwaygirl4life Profile PhotoBroadwaygirl4life Profile Photo
Broadwaygirl4life
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I bought one at a flea market and I brought it to school and all my friends where like "Oh my, its real" They said if it has a certain thing on it you can tell if it is real. All of my friends said it was stolen. There weren't that many there that he was selling so, hmm I don't know.
"[My son]'s really into my music, but one day we were listening to Billy [Joel] in the car and he said, 'Daddy, I think Billy's songs are a little better than yours." (Michael Cavanaugh)
WiCkEd4LyFfE
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
if there is any label on it try to peal it off. If it slides off(which it probably will. sry) then its fake.
*Kristen*
LongIsland Grl Profile PhotoLongIsland Grl Profile Photo
LongIsland Grl
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
It's definitely fake. Trust me, I practically live on Canal street. Sorry.
shesings Profile Photoshesings Profile Photo
shesings
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
well its illegal to sell them whether they are knockoffs or stolen, so I wouldn't make that your deciding factor. I have 2 that I got off the street and one of them is definatly fake, the other I'm pretty convinced is real for various reasons. In any case the average person isn't going to have a clue. Especially people who aren't from NYC and don't deal with everyone selling the knockoffs. SO if I were you I'd flaunt it like the diva you are and if anyone asks if its real just give them a sassy look or wink. Let them draw they're own conclusion - which will hopefully be that they wish they were as cool as you!
Matt_G Profile PhotoMatt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
What's a trip to NYC without buying a fake rolex or a fake purse?
"Noah, someday we'll talk again. But there's things we'll never say. That sorrow deep inside you. It inside me, too. And it never go away. You be okay. You'll learn how to lose things..."
sabrelady Profile Photosabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
1) quality of leather- Vuitton insists on using perfect hides.
2) is there a numbered ID card w the item ( usually have to check w another item to see if the number changes!)
3) How does it wear? if it starts to crack or pull apart in 3months or less... fake!
Fakes are illegal cos they are copyright/trademarked. Canal st sells pounds of 'em but u gotta go thru a security rigaramol like MI5!
Words that confuse censors:Fecund,penal,taint, titmouse, cockatoo,coccyx, ballcock, cockeye, prickly,kumquat, titter,cunning linguist, insertion, gobble, guzzle, swallow, manhole, rimshot,ramrod,come, fallacious, lugubrious,rectify,Uranus, angina, paradiddle,spotted dick,dictum, frock,cunctation, engorge,turgid,stiff, bush, uvula, crapulence, masticate, Dick Butkus, gherkin and of course the always bewildering lickety split. As you can see, context is every thing. Chuck Lorre Addendum: 555 382 5968 "Sexarama, Hexarama, Queeriosis, Feariosis!" Alec Baldwin Im going to have to science the shit outta this. The Martian
newyorkuniq Profile Photonewyorkuniq Profile Photo
newyorkuniq
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
You can tell the difference on LV stuff because on the real ones the LV is thinner and further apart. The knockoffs are kinda fat and clumped together.
kitkatgirl54 Profile Photokitkatgirl54 Profile Photo
kitkatgirl54
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
this website should be really helpful.. the girl who runs it is obviously obsessed but it's pretty interesting.

http://www.hisremnant.org/Vuitton/fakes2.html
shesings Profile Photoshesings Profile Photo
shesings
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
ok, so after looking at that link maybe mine isn't real after all... but whatever - I can't imagine anyone looking that closely. If they do I don't want to know about it! And I honestly would rather pay what I did than hundreds of dollars! I've had mine for over a year and its still in top condition!
Dirty Rotten Scoundrel Profile PhotoDirty Rotten Scoundrel Profile Photo
Dirty Rotten Scoundrel
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I remember reading an article about identifying fake Louis Vuitton purses, and one thing is that on the black metal symbol that says "Louis Vuitton" with a layer of leather underneath, if it has stiches, it isn't real.
Broadwaylady Profile PhotoBroadwaylady Profile Photo
Broadwaylady
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I had a great fake LV. My cousin's wife told me the secret in spotting the fake from the original. The original does not have the LV near the seams of the bag.
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by moments that take our breath away." "Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain."
etoile Profile Photoetoile Profile Photo
etoile
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Who are these new posters and how do they always find their way to the Off-Topic board first?
Rest in peace, Iflitifloat.
~FloweryFriend~ Profile Photo~FloweryFriend~ Profile Photo
~FloweryFriend~
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Oh my word! This is such an old thread!

I have a feeling that someone found it through a search engine and joined up to ask their question.
I starred in a short film called Magnetic Personality. Check it out!
munkustrap178 Profile Photomunkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Yeah, definitely fake. Don't even get me started on peopl who buy fake bags...

Just another tip...

Real LV bags don't come with tissue paper on the hardware, or that string tag. The real LV bags have no tags attached - only two or three little stringless tags inside the bag.

Also, with all LV bags, fakes are generally lined with suede. Real LV's are lined with canvas - brown for the monogram, orange for the damier.
"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson
neddyfrank2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I thought that it was if the pattern is inconsistent.
SweetQintheLights Profile PhotoSweetQintheLights Profile Photo
SweetQintheLights
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Wow! I thought I was reading a new recent thread! haha

I always learned that on real Louis Vuiton purses, the writing always runs into the zipper while fake ones, the Louis Vuiton ends on the purse and doesn't run into the zipper.

Did that make any sense?
"How bout a little black dress?"~hannahshule "I have a penis, not a vagina." ~munkustrap178
ZONEACE
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
why is it that everytihng but the i's in your post are capitalized?
when ducks grow thumbs then maybe my opinion will change.
Calvin Profile PhotoCalvin Profile Photo
Calvin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
That's the new "ransom note" font.
Love4Cheno Profile PhotoLove4Cheno Profile Photo
Love4Cheno
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
kitkatgirl- that's the most entertaining website i've seen in a while!

I've never understood the appeal of fake merchandise. It usually looks cheap to begin with. Just a personal thing, but I'd rather have the real (quality) thing, or just live without it.
http://preppylife.tumblr.com/
courtnyj Profile Photocourtnyj Profile Photo
courtnyj
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Calvin, you crack me up. re: NYC curbside Louis Vuitton: fake or stolen?
muscle23ftl Profile Photomuscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
OMG, if i buy a fake Louis Vuitton I'd keep a secret. What's the point of getting a fake LV and scream it out loud? I really couldn't care less about brands, so I buy cheap wallets that are usually better quality.
"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-