Page: 1

"I think there's worse than being lonely..."

thibodeaux Profile Photothibodeaux Profile Photo
thibodeaux
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Is there really? I can't imagine anything more awful than being lonely.

To quote Carol Burnett in JULIE & CAROL, TOGETHER AGAIN: "I don't like being lonely, I like being alone."

I agree with that. Do you?
whatever and ever amen - ben folds five
robbiej Profile Photorobbiej Profile Photo
robbiej
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
To an extent.

But in the context of that show, I believe Emmie has a point. To subjugate herself (like her mother) in order to get along in the world is not an option for her. If that means she strikes out on her own and she ends up being lonely, then that's the compromise she's willing to make.
"I'm so looking forward to a time when all the Reagan Democrats are dead."
krisjoseph Profile Photokrisjoseph Profile Photo
krisjoseph
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
How about being cooped up for six weeks with someone you REALLY don't like? I think that's worse. *shudder*
"There are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it." -Oscar Wilde
Link Larkin Wanabe Profile PhotoLink Larkin Wanabe Profile Photo
Link Larkin Wanabe
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Thibodeaux,

That Carrol Burnett quote is now my motto! I love it and explains me personally. People wonder why I always choose to do things alone and live on my own in a city where i know nobody, but they dont understand that sometimes I just like to take some time away from everyone and get to know myself (and no...not that way...well that way too, but anyways...).

Akiva
aspiringguy715 Profile Photoaspiringguy715 Profile Photo
aspiringguy715
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
LL Wannabe,

Completely agree with you. There are so many quirky things I like to do alone rather than in company. It makes it ten times more personal and valued to me. Spending time with yourself is extremely important IMO. Biggest thing to me (for some odd reason) is that I have to warm up vocally alone. I don't do any crazy weird warm ups, but I like doing it alone. Almost as a personal preperation/meditation thing. Living alone in NYC would be great, but alas, the rent is too high to cover alone. But those instances are just me lol
Joel: Nope. Osidius, right there, swoop and cross.
Clementine: Shut the fuck up!
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
JohnPopa Profile PhotoJohnPopa Profile Photo
JohnPopa
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Being lonely is rough and all but being stabbed in the leg would be pretty awful too.

I think I'd take some pining over massive blood loss, still.
Matt_G Profile PhotoMatt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
What about falling backwards into a pile of those velvet red ants? That would suck, too.
"Noah, someday we'll talk again. But there's things we'll never say. That sorrow deep inside you. It inside me, too. And it never go away. You be okay. You'll learn how to lose things..."
thibodeaux
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Well, yes. But imagine doing that if you were LONELY.

Oh, awful. Awful.
Matt_G Profile PhotoMatt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Well, you'd have to be lonely anyways because nobody would be there to tell you "Hey, watch out! There's velvet red ants behind you!"
"Noah, someday we'll talk again. But there's things we'll never say. That sorrow deep inside you. It inside me, too. And it never go away. You be okay. You'll learn how to lose things..."
JohnPopa Profile PhotoJohnPopa Profile Photo
JohnPopa
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Also, if you're lonely you're more likely to be home, rather than out where you might fall into the mound of velvet red ants.

Unless your house is infested, which might explain why you're lonely.
thibodeaux
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
You guys make me laugh.

Which is good, cuz I need laughter right now re: 'I think there's worse than being lonely...'

Thanks!
mominator Profile Photomominator Profile Photo
mominator
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Being alone is a choice. Being lonley is a choice made for you.
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." Conan O'Brien
insomniak
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"How about being cooped up for six weeks with someone you REALLY don't like? I think that's worse. *shudder*"

No, that's fun because you can think up all kinds of ways to tourture them.

Being alone is by choice, loneliness comes from being ignored and not cared for. It is not the same. And loneliness is the worst, there is no escape from it because it's like a hole right in the middle of you.
BroadwayMonkey Profile PhotoBroadwayMonkey Profile Photo
BroadwayMonkey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"I don't like being lonely, I like being alone."

Totally.
Real men are tenors.