Gregory Maguire

spiderdj82 Profile Photospiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Gregory Maguire#0
Posted: 8/11/04 at 7:04pm
What is your favorite of his books?
"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2
LadyGuenevere
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Gregory Maguire#1
Posted: 8/11/04 at 7:06pm
I've only read WICKED, and it's very well written. Can't believe that they changed it so much for the musical, but I'm just such a book purist.
ChiChi Profile PhotoChiChi Profile Photo
ChiChi
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Gregory Maguire#2
Posted: 8/11/04 at 7:11pm
I actually read "Wicked" before anyone knew it was going to be a musical, which I was proud of because I normally wouldn't have. I liked it. I thought it was well written and he had a good direction with it.
Gypsy - Betty Buckley http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUN5XoB5vFs&feature=youtu.be
broadwaystar2b Profile Photobroadwaystar2b Profile Photo
broadwaystar2b
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Gregory Maguire#3
Posted: 8/11/04 at 7:11pm
I'll third with Wicked.
ChiChi Profile PhotoChiChi Profile Photo
ChiChi
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Gregory Maguire#4
Posted: 8/11/04 at 7:13pm
From what I can see, though, he is one of those that you either like, or you hate.
Gypsy - Betty Buckley http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUN5XoB5vFs&feature=youtu.be
mominator Profile Photomominator Profile Photo
mominator
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Gregory Maguire#5
Posted: 8/11/04 at 7:26pm
While I liked "Wicked" "Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister" I felt was a more well written book.
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." Conan O'Brien
zepka102 Profile Photozepka102 Profile Photo
zepka102
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Gregory Maguire#6
Posted: 8/11/04 at 7:37pm
i loved wicked... i love reading twists on classic stories. when i have time, i'm gonna read mirror, mirror... but who knows when i'll have that chance!
::bust a move::
Updated On: 8/11/04 at 07:37 PM
N0tThatGirl213 Profile PhotoN0tThatGirl213 Profile Photo
N0tThatGirl213
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Gregory Maguire#7
Posted: 8/11/04 at 7:50pm
Definitely Wicked...it's so dark and wonderful. It almost seems like the satire is appropriate too...I kept thinking that it couldn't have been more perfect if it had been written since September 11th.
"A little humility wouldn't hurt." --Ellie, Constantine-Hellblazer, "Dangerous Habits"
zoran912 Profile Photozoran912 Profile Photo
zoran912
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Gregory Maguire#8
Posted: 8/11/04 at 11:33pm
I loved Wicked, but it had its flaws. It seemed to get off track in the later chapters. It also left many knots tied. I like for plots to unravel themselves by the end of the story. I felt like they untied those knots in the rewrites for the musical.
Kelliexo90 Profile PhotoKelliexo90 Profile Photo
Kelliexo90
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Gregory Maguire#9
Posted: 8/11/04 at 11:36pm
I believe that Gregory Maguire said he didn't want to explain the Witch fully, but heighten her mystery. I think that's why a lot of things were left to the imagination, or only slighty hinted at with an answer. Like who exactly was Liir? We never did find out. And a lot of other questions. But I adore the way he writes. I love it, love it, love it. I'm reading Confessions now, and LOST is next on my list.
What is Broadway? A street? Some say it's a street. Some say it is the best street in the world. Others think its terrible. That's the beauty of it, it's terribly beautiful. Some hate it and don't know why. Others love it and don't know why. That's what makes it so wonderful, it's a mystery.
Updated On: 8/11/04 at 11:36 PM
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Gregory Maguire#10
Posted: 8/12/04 at 1:31am
Oh, my favorite...hmmm....probably Confessions. Right now I'm reading Mirror, Mirror, and I'm not real sure about it. the POV's jumping around a little...one chapter's all about 3rd person adn the next is 1st. and i'm not sure who the narrator is. When I bought it, I assumed it was the stepmother/witch/queen cahracter, but then it seems like it's a dwarf. I loved how Confessions played out, especially what happened at the ball. Oh, that Cindy, she's such a slut.
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Gregory Maguire#11
Posted: 8/12/04 at 1:33am
From waht I've read, Lost isn't a play on a classic story, but somehow it involves like the ghost of dickens and somethign else..i dunno...the synopsis didn't insterest me much in the bookstore.

but i'm sure it's as well-written as wicked.
showmethetony Profile Photoshowmethetony Profile Photo
showmethetony
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Gregory Maguire#12
Posted: 8/12/04 at 4:50pm
Wicked is my favorite book, i have read it multiple times...and that was also before anyone was talking about making a musical. I liked Confessions too and Lost was not anything I expected, but pretty awesome.

CO, I had a really hard time getting into Mirror, Mirror also and never ended up finishing it. I really enjoy Maguire's writing style and the mystery and magic he seems to incorporate into most of his work...I look forward to the next one.

I think the thing I love about Wicked is the character of Elphaba is so amazing real and passionate and I can relate to her on a lot of levels. While I haven't seen the musical - only heard the cd and find it to be enjoyable for Schwartz - it seems like my beloved Elphie is much different in that version...
when you grow up surrounded by willful ignorance you have to believe mercy has its own country and that it's round and borderless ~Animal, Ani Difranco