Page: 1

Garden State

saddle shoe side kick
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Garden State#0
Posted: 8/6/04 at 1:18am
Has anyone seen this movie yet? It looks very very good and I can't wait to see it. I'm a huge Natalie Portman fan. Also, does anyone know what the name of the song in the commercial for the movie is? I really like it. Thanks! -Penny
"I'm a pretty girl, mama." -Penny Lou Pingleton, Hairspray
"You like football, Ed?" "Yeah..." "Good. Me too." -Chad & 'Ed', All Shook Up
Updated On: 8/6/04 at 01:18 AM
saddle shoe side kick
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Garden State#1
Posted: 8/6/04 at 2:17am
Just found out that the song is "Let Go" by Frou Frou. I also found out that Jackie Hoffman of Hairspray is in it. Now I really must go see it. -Penny
Garden State (2004)
Updated On: 8/6/04 at 02:17 AM
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Garden State#2
Posted: 8/6/04 at 3:06am
And Zach Braff is YUMMY!
Blair
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Garden State#3
Posted: 8/6/04 at 4:06am
I've been wanting to see this movie since back 2 years ago when it was still called Large's Ark. I'm a huge Natalie Portman fan also, so I heard about it when she was cast. It doesn't open in my area until the 20th, but I'll be the first in line that day. :)

I was watching Anatomy of a Scene: Garden State the other day and the first clip they showed was of Jackie Hoffman singing at Zach Braff's character's mother's funeral. She's so funny!
cabarethed
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Garden State#4
Posted: 8/6/04 at 12:05pm
Yeah, I'm a big Zach Braff fan so I already wanted to see it...but then I found out Denis O'Hare is in it, and now I'm on a mission to get to the closest theatre that has it!!
NYCbabe3789 Profile PhotoNYCbabe3789 Profile Photo
NYCbabe3789
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Garden State#5
Posted: 8/6/04 at 12:17pm
I saw this movie a few days ago. The ending was a little disappointing, but overall it was great. Natalie Portman was excellent. I was also pleasantly surprised about Jackie Hoffman. She sings and has a short scene. Not much screen time, but she's very funny.
popcultureboy Profile Photopopcultureboy Profile Photo
popcultureboy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Garden State#6
Posted: 8/6/04 at 1:28pm
Cabarethed, this is just a guess, but are you fan of Le Braff because of Broken Hearts Club? re: Garden State

Zach Braff, Natalie Portman and Peter Sarsgaard in the one movie? I can't wait. Although it probably won't open in the UK until 2007 or something.
Nothing precious, plain to see, don't make a fuss over me. Not loud, not soft, but somewhere inbetween. Say sorry, just let it be the word you mean.
zoran912 Profile Photozoran912 Profile Photo
zoran912
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Garden State#7
Posted: 8/6/04 at 1:46pm
This is definitely on my TOO SEE list. I must see it soon, or I will surely die. I'm so glad that I get to see Natalie in something that doesn't take place in outer space.
saddle shoe side kick
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Garden State#8
Posted: 8/6/04 at 3:13pm
Zach Braff's bio on IMDB says "...Born and raised in New Jersey. Attended Columbia High School in Maplewood, New Jersey..." My chool fenced against them :) So I've been in his high school. Sorry for the randomness.

I can't wait to see Jackie Hoffman sing re: Garden State -Penny
cabarethed
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Garden State#9
Posted: 8/6/04 at 10:41pm
Haha Popcultureboy, you know me so well! I liked him then, but I didn't become a true fan till Scrubs. He's so excellent in that.
Mattio98
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Garden State#10
Posted: 8/7/04 at 12:03am
I just saw it and LOVED it. Great movie!
saddle shoe side kick
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Garden State#11
Posted: 8/8/04 at 5:19pm
I just saw it. Go see it. Go. -Penny
Auggie27 Profile PhotoAuggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Garden State#12
Posted: 8/8/04 at 7:57pm
Anyone else think this is Natalie Portman's first "real" and entirely effective performance? She's really winning in this movie (and frankly has the best developed and most sympathetic role.) Though I liked her as Ann Frank on Bway, to a point, she's so arch and cardboard in the Lucas STAR WARS prequels, all posturing and Kabuki make-up--and low energy. I blame Lucas, who's not exactly an actor's director (she had to play one too many scenes with a blue screen.) But Braff wrote a lovely part for her, and she is moving, funny, and beautiful. The pet cemetery sequence is especially sweet and real. I predict if not an Oscar nom for best supporting actress, the possibility of one from, say, the New York or LA Film Critics. She's in the Marial Hemmingway position after MANHATTAN.
"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling