Page: 1

impressive array of rockers to tour against Bush in October

Auggie27 Profile PhotoAuggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
What a difference a year makes. Last year, the Chicks were something to be wiped off Clear Channel's boots ... now, backed by Bruce, Dave Matthews, Pearl Jam, James Taylor, REM, Bonnie Rait, etc. etc., they are touring battleground states together, as a united front. It's something like 28 concerts in 34 days, all the month before D day in November. The announcement was made, devoid of any rancorous ad hominium tone. Matt L. on today, a dog with a bone, tried to get 'em to say ugly stuff, but they held their medium ground, voicing their desire for much change in November.

I will be curious to see if old time fans of The Boss and Pearl Jam are as quick to denounce them. Springsteen, in particular, has never been thusly tainted, and "The Rising,"after 9/11, was hardly partisan. As was reported today on CNN--he's carefully avoided taking such a strong stand. This is unprecedented, and a diverse groups of talent, not all from one genre or subgenre, nor one demographic. The 50 plus year olds remember the 60s and the value (and sometimes results) of protest; folks like Dave and the Chicks, not remotely. I think it'll be interesting to see how they sell, to whom they sell (I know, the choir -- but so what?), and what the backlash is vs. how the backlash is reported. Fox probably already has interviews lined up with people in the music dept of the Peoria Wal-Mart. I think the CD bulldozing days may be over. Or not. Opinons? I think Laura Hooha's "Shut Up and Sing" POV toward entertainers really won't fly. I did appreciate Mr. Matthews reminding us that the beloved Mr. Reagan was, after all, a retired actor.
"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling
Updated On: 8/4/04 at 03:40 PM
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I hope they're going to have voter registration available at the shows.
JohnPopa Profile PhotoJohnPopa Profile Photo
JohnPopa
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
All I know is that REM and Springsteen are coming to Cleveland!!!!!!!!!!!!
papalovesmambo Profile Photopapalovesmambo Profile Photo
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
it will so pain me to contribute my entire springsteen catalog to the p.t.b.s.l. (pile to be steamrolled later). i wonder if they'll notice if i keep greetings from asbury park, nj? it's a sad day when rock 'n rollers are touring the country trying to bring about political change and registering thousands of voters in the process. i think this is probably the death knell for the bush campaign. about the only option available to the gop now is widespread use of b-52s to carpet bomb the concert sites. probably fulla hippies and druggies anyway, no one'll miss that clap trap.
r.i.p. marco, my guardian angel.

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
JohnPopa - I actually believe that's what most of the country's going to think. "Who cares, bring on the tunes!"
iflitifloat Profile Photoiflitifloat Profile Photo
iflitifloat
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I miss Wendy O.....
Sueleen Gay: "Here you go, Bitch, now go make some fukcing lemonade." 10/28/10
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
it's my life, and i'll do what i wanna, do what i wanna do!

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective
SueleenGay Profile PhotoSueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I hope they're going to have voter registration available at the shows.

I believe the deadline to regester for this election is October 2nd, I may be wrong, but I wouldn't count on this concert doing much to increase regestration soon enough for this election.
PEACE.
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Sueleen - I HATE it when reality impedes my desires re: impressive array of rockers to tour against bush in october
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
damn, now there's no way they'll authorize b-52s!

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Oh, papa, they could do it just for fun - you know that's how they get their kicks re: impressive array of rockers to tour against bush in october
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
no, silly, they get their kicks doing cloud seeding before outdoor concerts.

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

iflitifloat Profile Photoiflitifloat Profile Photo
iflitifloat
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I'm starting to think it might be time for a road trip to Ohio to visit the fam... When exactly will they be in Cleveland?
Sueleen Gay: "Here you go, Bitch, now go make some fukcing lemonade." 10/28/10
JohnPopa Profile PhotoJohnPopa Profile Photo
JohnPopa
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Cleveland is October 2.
Auggie27
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Folks, aren't you all curious to see how Team Rove handles this? I mean, these people aren't eactly "Hollywood" elite. REM, John Mellancamp and Streisand aren't exactly discussed in the same sentence. I saw CNN pundits discuss how unprecedented this is. Who are the big Republican groups, who'll rally in Elephantine retaliation? They showed clips of Ricky Martin (!) and Britney as Bush loyalists last time out.

Maybe there will be a log cabin boys benefit, and Ricky will come DRESSED as Britney. That's the ticket! If that happens,forget these people, I'm soooo there.
PalJoey Profile PhotoPalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Springsteen on Nightline Tonight#15
Posted: 8/4/04 at 4:54pm
Bruce will talk to Ted Koppel tonight, telling America why they should vote for kerry not Bush.

Hope you'll be watchin' and weepin', Papa! My spirits tell me that Perry Como will be cheering Bruce on from heaven.
Ruffian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Springsteen on Nightline Tonight#16
Posted: 8/4/04 at 5:23pm
Fogerty will be cranking out "FORTUNATE SON"

yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
rock against bush#17
Posted: 8/4/04 at 5:41pm
glad to see that your channeling powers are still running at high speed there, pal.

oh, i'll try to watch if i get home in time, but i doubt i'll be weeping. anybody who thought that springsteen would ever favor a republican have obviously never listened to a springsteen song. nor do they recall the flap that ensued when reagan tried to twist born in the u.s.a. to suit his whims back in '84. i don't have to love a person's politics, or even agree with them, to enjoy their music. hell, i don't even have to like a person's politics to be friends with them. to me this is the natural extension of farm-aid.

if you're looking for where the reply will come, look to the country scene. toby keith and the like will trot out and commit overkill. but, this tour has a great potential to backfire. what images do you think will be making the news from this tour? will it be the moments of thoughtful, quiet, sensitive reflection on the direction of the country? or will it be the screeching sounds of anger pouring from the stage and inciting the crowds to hatred? more people will see whatever images are shown on tv and in the newspaper that will ever see these people in person. thought it was tough keeping the dnc under control for four days? a month on the road's a lot tougher with folks who have nothing really to lose since they all probably believe in their heart of hearts that there is no way that kerry will lose. it might get really bad if he's down in the polls by then.

but, hey, it might be the complete opposite. either way, i won't be shedding any tears. besides, i saw springsteen on his birthday back in the day play for 5 hours until he collapsed on the stage and pleaded, "i don't know no more songs."

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

Ruffian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
rock against bush#18
Posted: 8/4/04 at 5:58pm
Ahhhhhhhhh the great GREAT Springsteen Marathons
Auggie27
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
rock against bush#19
Posted: 8/4/04 at 7:56pm
I would agree with Papa about the chance for backfiring ... but having seen them this a.m., I think they will be taking great steps to avoid that. Visions of Whoopie and Linda are still dancing in their pragmatic heads (and pragmatic they are: remember these are anti-war folk, who are voting for 2 war voters--they've already made peace, so to speak, with trade-offs in this election. It's about dumping the Bush regime. Period.) And what they want is 60s fervor, not millinial anxiety and rage. I think they'll keep the bashing to a minimum. And expect more groups and singers to pile on, at least for some gigs. This will be the place to be in the rock world, come autumn -- that much I think is clear. Sorry, but the teens and 20-somethings in northern Jersey where I live really aren't into Toby Keith and Nascar. If only Republicans were that easy to spot! Hey, they go undercover--and undercovers. We've all slept with a few, unknowingly.
SMichaelK Profile PhotoSMichaelK Profile Photo
SMichaelK
Stand-by
Stand-by
rock against bush#20
Posted: 8/4/04 at 8:05pm
Enough already, and I am a pretty solid Liberal. I'm so tired of all these rock, pop, and movie stars telling me what to wear, who to vote for, what to watch... I mean don't get me wrong I love Springsteen, REM, and people like the Beastie Boys who have in the past done similar but not as drastic things. But when I want to be told how to live my life, I'll talk to my mother and my pastor. When I want to be told how to rock I'll go to them. The problem with this is people who will vote for Kerry not because they trust him, or they think his ideas match thiers better. Vote with your mind and not because The Boss told you to...
You, you are the worst thing to happen to musical theater since Andrew Lloyd Webber... and you I just don't like you.
bwaysinger Profile Photobwaysinger Profile Photo
bwaysinger
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
rock against bush#21
Posted: 8/4/04 at 8:35pm
well, I'm certainly not one to follow an artist's mouth blindly but they have every right to say what they want to say, too. I mean, if political "pundits" can entertain us with their talk shows with conservative or liberal slant, why not a singer? It certainly changes my opinion of them to know what they think about certain things (not that I ever liked Toby Keith before but I certainly don't now and I always knew I liked the Dixie Chicks for more than their music) but it won't make me stop listening to them if their music is good.
And, for that matter, if you honestly expect someone in front of a lot of people not to occasionally say what they think about something, maybe you have the problem. rock against bush

Oh, by the way, Papa, I know exactly how the Bush administration will deal with this music mania: I'm sure that at this very moment Al-Qaeda is planning massive attacks all along the tour route. They'll have to shut it all down in a massive act of police-state mentality. Yay for absolute power!
jrb_actor Profile Photojrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
rock against bush#22
Posted: 8/4/04 at 9:01pm
Music has always had a political home, if not deeply connected to society's philosophies through out history. This time is much like the 60s--so like the 60s, I am glad to see music and action taking place together.

If you don't like the message--change the channel or don't buy a ticket. But artists most certainly have a right to be political and to provoke thought.
Updated On: 8/4/04 at 09:01 PM