Page: 1

Hymns of the 49th Parallel

Nina Profile PhotoNina Profile Photo
Nina
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Hymns of the 49th Parallel#0
Posted: 8/3/04 at 12:09pm
k d lang's new cd that has recently been released. I saw her this morning on The Today Show. Unfortunately, I only caught the end of the show so I didn't get to see or hear what she did from the cd earlier in the show.
Anyone else here think that this woman has one of the most beautiful voices in contemporary music? I'm so looking forward to getting this cd and especially hearing her version of the old Joni Mitchell song, A Case Of You.
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hymns of the 49th Parallel#1
Posted: 8/3/04 at 12:12pm
She is usually picked by other singers as the person they would most like to see in concert. I have all of her work - and love every bit of it.
FinnFanatic
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Hymns of the 49th Parallel#2
Posted: 8/3/04 at 12:12pm
I've never heard much by KD Lang, but "A Case of You" is one of my favorite non-showtune songs! Let me know how her version is, maybe I'll have to go find it!
Nina
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hymns of the 49th Parallel#3
Posted: 8/3/04 at 12:18pm
I'm hoping to find some time to run over to Virgin this week and pick it up. I'll let you know what her version is like.
junglered Profile Photojunglered Profile Photo
junglered
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hymns of the 49th Parallel#4
Posted: 8/3/04 at 12:36pm
I have this new CD and think it's terrific! On it, kd covers some of her favorite songs written by other Canadian singer/songwriters. I especially like her version of "Hallelujah" by Leonard Cohen. She sang that song, Neil Young's "Helpless" and a couple of other ones off this new CD when I saw her in concert a couple of weeks ago here in Atlanta.
broadwayguy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hymns of the 49th Parallel#5
Posted: 8/3/04 at 3:48pm
I loed her performance this morning....
SueleenGay Profile PhotoSueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hymns of the 49th Parallel#6
Posted: 8/3/04 at 4:01pm
I think kd has one of the best voices of all time. Unfortunately, I think she is a tad overindulgent at times. I wish she would lighten up. Her earlier stuff is my favorite.
As for A CASE OF YOU, it takes great nerve to cover any Joni Mitchell (My Goddess) song. It is so hard to improve on the original recordings. However, I think CASE OF YOU is one that has been quite successfully by a couple of others. Phoebe Snow (My High-Priestess) comes to mind.

PEACE.
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hymns of the 49th Parallel#7
Posted: 8/3/04 at 4:06pm
I agree about her indulgence, Sueleen. My favorite of her recordings is Shadowland - but that's probably because Owen Bradley really knew what he was doing and kept her focused. Some great artists still need direction now and then re: Hymns of the 49th Parallel
SueleenGay
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hymns of the 49th Parallel#8
Posted: 8/3/04 at 4:14pm
You said it, DGrant. Sometimes less really is more. We know you have a fantastic vioce, kd, you don't have to remind us with every single note. Just sing it.
PEACE.
Nina
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hymns of the 49th Parallel#9
Posted: 8/3/04 at 4:21pm
The very best remake of A Case Of You was the one that Joni did herself on her last cd, Both Sides Now. The arrangement was done with a smokey, jazz sound and her voice on that recording, now husky from years of chain smoking, gave the song a whole new meaning for me. The original was a celebration of that head over heels feeling. The newer version was a look at love with a more mature attitude and the underlying knowledge after years of love affairs, that it may be temporary. I may be reading way too much into it but, thats the feeling I got from her re-recording.

Both Sides Now was very similar. She sings it on her last cd with a stronger sense of maturity, experience and understanding of life. When she sings the line "I really don't know love at all" it's as though after all these years, she has let go of the romantic trappings of love and life and has come to the realization that they are things that happen and can never be fully understood. Again, maybe reading too much into it but, when it comes to Joni and her music, I always want to anylize becasue I always felt her songs had such depth.

OOOHH!! Nina's getting too profound. That just won't do.
SueleenGay
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hymns of the 49th Parallel#10
Posted: 8/3/04 at 4:28pm
Oh, Nina, you are so right about Both Sides Now. Her latest is just so full of the maturity/regret/wisdom that the original lacked. And the funny thing is, for the million times I have heard the original, I never knew it was missing anything till Joni reinvented it. It gives me chills just thinking of it.
PEACE.
Nina
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hymns of the 49th Parallel#11
Posted: 8/3/04 at 4:37pm
I don't think the songs, as they were originally written and sung, were missing anything. They reflected who and what Joni was at that time in her life. She was young and optimistic and probably a bit naive about life. When she sings them now it's with the wisdom and experience that age maturity have brought to her.

There was a tribute done to her a few years back that was televised on PBS. It was an amazing concert and I'm so mad that i lost the tape I made from the broadcast. I'm not sure but, I think it was held at The Kennedy Center. Then Prez and First lady Bill and Hillary were attending. i remember everytime the camera panned to Joni sitting in her box with her youngish boy toy, she had a cigarette hanging out of her mouth and an ashtray perched on the railing. I thought "Only Joni could get away with chain smoking in The Kennedy Center. How cool is this woman?"
SueleenGay
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hymns of the 49th Parallel#12
Posted: 8/3/04 at 4:50pm
I remember that concert, too. It was one of the reasons I came to the conclusion people just should not cover her songs. I think Diana Krall did Case of You and was the best thing on the show. There are also two DVD's one a concert, Painting with Words, which is amazing and a great documentary Woman of Heart and Mind. I recommend them both.

I didn't mean to say that there was something missing from the original recording. You are right. It was where she was at the time. But the latest one is so much richer and haunting.

PEACE.
Nina
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hymns of the 49th Parallel#13
Posted: 8/3/04 at 5:00pm
I'll ahve to look for those two dvds. I agree that Diana Krallw as the best part of that concert. I love Diana. She is this generations Nina Simone.
junglered Profile Photojunglered Profile Photo
junglered
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hymns of the 49th Parallel#14
Posted: 8/3/04 at 5:30pm
Aaaah, "A Case of You"! What a song! I got a chance to hear Joni sing that song live a couple of years ago when she toured to support the Both Sides Now CD. Wonderful! - And her cigarette-enhanced singing voice is sooo different now - much huskier and smokier- than it was in the early years. -And I got a chance to hear Diana Krall sing her version of "A Case of You" a couple years ago at a terrific concert. Alas, kd did not sing "A Case of You" in her concert a couple of weeks ago, but I do enjoy her rendition on her new CD.