Page: 3

Fat activists protest diet industry

bythesword84 Profile Photobythesword84 Profile Photo
bythesword84
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: fat activists protest diet industry#51
Posted: 8/3/04 at 9:08pm
You're right DGrant, when my friend came over to visit me from England all she kept saying was how there was so much food given as a portion here.

It's actually, when you think about it, really unnecessary. No one needs that much food.
And hang on, when did you win the discus?
son_of_a_gunn_25 Profile Photoson_of_a_gunn_25 Profile Photo
son_of_a_gunn_25
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: fat activists protest diet industry#52
Posted: 8/3/04 at 9:14pm
It's ridiculous the amounts of food we consume when there are so many people in the world and even in our own country starving. I take my leftovers when I eat downtown and give it to a homeless person on the street usually. I hate when they ask for money, but I have no problem giving them food that would get thrown away anyways. (And I can be sure that they are getting food and not spending the money on drugs or alcohol) I also work in food pantries when I can. My church at school supports a church down in Haiti that runs a school for the underpriviledged kids down there. With the resistance and everything taking over the country, the school kids were down to one or two meals a week at school, and for most of those kids that was the only food they were getting.
My avatar is a reminder to myself. I need lots of reminders...
Updated On: 8/3/04 at 09:14 PM
bythesword84
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: fat activists protest diet industry#53
Posted: 8/3/04 at 9:23pm
Well, of course it should be going to the people who need it but even if it isn't, there's no need for people to eat until their clothes don't fit them anymore. You're not going to die if you don't eat every single thing you're given.

I know people got outraged when McDonald's said they were going to make portions smaller, but really, so what? So you don't stuff your face. Who cares?

The world should adopt my diet and they'd be a lot happier. Instead of having meals and snacks, cut the meals and exist solely on snack foods.
Plum
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: fat activists protest diet industry#54
Posted: 8/3/04 at 10:12pm
I've been living in this country for 13 years and I still can't finish most restaurant portions. I usually share with my sister or a friend, or take appetizers instead of a main course, depending where I am. It's ridiculous, though. I realize I'm a bit on the small side (I'm 5 3"), but I shouldn't be leaving 1/3 of my food on the plate.
bythesword84
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: fat activists protest diet industry#55
Posted: 8/3/04 at 10:30pm
I can honestly say I've never finished a full plate at a restaurant, but I've had people with me who not only finish theirs but have "graciously" offered to finish mine too.
jrb_actor Profile Photojrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: fat activists protest diet industry#56
Posted: 8/3/04 at 11:08pm
I agree that portions are way too big here--but I can see how people would get ticked off at McDonalds--you get less food, but pay more.

It also doesn't help that most of us grow up with grown ups harping on us to "finish our plates". And when you grow up poor, you sorta get the notion to eat as much as you can to get that money's worth--especially at a buffet.

But, that's why I avoid buffets and McDonalds.
boborunstheshow Profile Photoboborunstheshow Profile Photo
boborunstheshow
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: fat activists protest diet industry#57
Posted: 8/5/04 at 12:38am
Fat people, what a load of hooey
Its Aberqurque NM for me. Speaking Spanish. Be Back September 06.
bythesword84
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: fat activists protest diet industry#58
Posted: 8/5/04 at 12:47am
I love my McDonald's, but whenever I order something from there I can never finish the insane amount of fries I get.
They like to load you up. Most fast food places do.