Page: 1

How much is "too much"???

CATSNYrevival Profile PhotoCATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
How much is "too much"???#0
Posted: 8/2/04 at 4:40pm
I know, I know... I'm bringing this up AGAIN! but after reading the utter bull**** on the MPAA website I'm still confused. Can someone please, explain this all to me...

From what I gather on their website, The Motion Picture Association of America has a panel of 8 to 15 men and women of a "mature" level who screen all films to be distributed in the USA and vote to apply a rating to a film that is designed to better help the parents of children be able to more easily monitor the level of violence, language, drug use and or sex that is present in such films.

If this is the case, why then is there such discrepancy in the final ratings. Is there no guidelines on which the voters are to follow or do they just "eenie meenie minnie mo" the ratings???

Why are some movies such as "Love! Valor! Compassion!" allowed to contain "graphic nudity" and still only be rated R when other films, most notably "A Home At the End of the World" have to be buttered in order to evade an NC-17 rating??? And why is it always different for male nudity than it is for female nudity??? Women are fully naked in R movies all the time, but if Colin Farrell wants to do it, it has to be rated NC-17.... They're acting like it's the first time there has ever been a penis in a major motion picture. It just makes no sense to me....

http://www.mpaa.org/movieratings/about/index.htm
Updated On: 8/2/04 at 04:40 PM
JohnPopa Profile PhotoJohnPopa Profile Photo
JohnPopa
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: How much is 'too much'???#1
Posted: 8/2/04 at 4:42pm
It doesn't make a lot of sense, move on.
CATSNYrevival
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: How much is 'too much'???#2
Posted: 8/2/04 at 4:50pm
Oh, and I have another question... why are R movies not for sale to persons under the age of 18, yet one only has to be 17 to view an R movie at the movie theater...???
JakeB
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: How much is 'too much'???#3
Posted: 8/2/04 at 4:57pm
I work in a cinema in England, we have a rating called 12A, where kids can go and see it under 12 if they're with an adult. Sometimes I want to scream at the parents who take their kids to stuff that I know has loads of violence and swearing and stuff like that, not because I believe in sheltering kids, but because the kids can't cope with it, they often get really bored too.

I'll never forget when I saw The Hours and some kids aged about 8 shouted 'URGH, LEMONS' during one of the female kisses. It pissed me off.
GovernorSlaton Profile PhotoGovernorSlaton Profile Photo
GovernorSlaton
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: How much is 'too much'???#4
Posted: 8/2/04 at 5:08pm
Roger Ebert and a number of other critics have stated numerous times that the MPAA's way of rating movies is just by counting curses and seeing how much nudity is in a film; children and teens can end up not being able to see something that might have a positive message for them.
Something that I check every so often is http://www.capalert.com/capreports/. It is a Christian movie review site, and they can list the most absurd things as inappropriate.
jacobtsf Profile Photojacobtsf Profile Photo
jacobtsf
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: How much is 'too much'???#5
Posted: 8/2/04 at 5:29pm
I just visited that CAP sight. UGH. C'mon film has to have edge to it or it wouldn't have the popularity it does. but it is called entertainment. Some movies are meant to teach a lesson but is 'All about the benjamins' one of those. That movie is made to show an ugly side of humanity. if anything it makes kids realize the danger and stupidity of becoming a hit man.
David walked into the valley With a stone clutched in his hand He was only a boy But he knew someone must take a stand There will always be a valley Always mountains one must scale There will always be perilous waters Which someone must sail -Into the Fire Scarlet Pimpernel
Matt_G Profile PhotoMatt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: How much is 'too much'???#6
Posted: 8/2/04 at 5:31pm
I used to work for the biggest video rental chain in the world (figure it out) and after Columbine, Clinton wrote a letter that he wanted circulated to all video stores and places that sold/rented "R" and up. It basically said that he needs our help to ensure the safety of the children and to make sure that nobody under the age of 18 had access to these things. I would always whip out the President's letter whenever some kid yelled at me.
"Noah, someday we'll talk again. But there's things we'll never say. That sorrow deep inside you. It inside me, too. And it never go away. You be okay. You'll learn how to lose things..."
StickToPriest Profile PhotoStickToPriest Profile Photo
StickToPriest
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: How much is 'too much'???#7
Posted: 8/2/04 at 6:46pm
A "review" of THE BIRDCAGE, one of the funnist and greatest movies of all time, by the CAP.

"I could not justify spending the time and effort necessary to do a complete analysis of The Birdcage. After 25 minutes of the show I had one and a half recording logs of homosexual suggestions and activities. There were other examples of unacceptable material, but none so thick as homosexuality. I apologize if you were expecting to see a complete review of The Birdcage, but there are some things I can stand, and some things I cannot stand -- this movie was "cannot." It was glorification of homosexualtiy, pure and simple. Great scott!! Robin Williams, the voice of Genie in Aladdin who said "I love you too, Al" and acting with children in Jumanji was right there on the screen kissing on other men! I am aware of Williams' use of foul language and sexual material in some movies, but whodda thought? It may be illegal in Canada and other countries to speak out against homosexuality, but not in America. Not yet, at least. No...I am not a homophobe. I do not fear or hate the homosexual, I just hate homosexuality.

My suggestion is...don't watch this movie."

My guess is, this guy is closeted. And a bigot, but that is obvious. Some people make me sick.
"One no longer loves one's insight enough once one communicates it."

The opposite of creation isn't war, it's stagnation.
iflitifloat Profile Photoiflitifloat Profile Photo
iflitifloat
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: How much is 'too much'???#8
Posted: 8/2/04 at 7:02pm
He's spouting a spin on the stock Born Again rhetoric, "Love the sinner. Hate the sin." Or something like that.
Sueleen Gay: "Here you go, Bitch, now go make some fukcing lemonade." 10/28/10
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: How much is 'too much'???#9
Posted: 8/2/04 at 8:12pm
Owing to the fact that it says it's a review site from a Christian perspective, what exactly were you expecting?
CATSNYrevival
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: How much is 'too much'???#10
Posted: 8/3/04 at 1:43am
I've also heard that in the European release of "I, ROBOT" you get to see Will Smith in all his glory but in the US release it is cut out... this is just all because we're post-Janet's boob and the producers are worried again about nudity in films. I can't wait for John Cameron Mitchell to show everyone how it's done with his sex movie project... this whole nudity being shameful is just ridiculous. The human body is a beautiful thing, people!!!! Michaelangelo proved this YEARS and YEARS ago...
POLisPOL Profile PhotoPOLisPOL Profile Photo
POLisPOL
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: How much is 'too much'???#11
Posted: 8/3/04 at 1:57am
I saw "I, Robot" last weekend, and you're right, you can see will smith full body nude. (in fact the only thing that you see is his back)
I wished the same with Bridget Moynahan... but there was no luck!
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!
jrb_actor Profile Photojrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: How much is 'too much'???#12
Posted: 8/3/04 at 3:18am
Sometimes the MPAA is WHACK! Giving BILLY ELLIOT an R???? I also deplore their double standards with hetero action and homo action. Two men having a love scene is NC-17, but Sharon Stone in BASIC INSTINCT or Madonna in BODY OF EVIDENCE is an R.