Why must we fearTeresa and Rev. Al?

Auggie27 Profile PhotoAuggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Why must we fearTeresa and Rev. Al?#0
Posted: 7/29/04 at 9:39am
Okay, Democrats, what are we about? Are we so terrified of offending 6 swing voters in Ohio, PA, and Florida that we have to fall all over one another to distance ourselves from a strong woman and an impassioned black man? (Forget poor Whoopie and Linda, another topic.) The queasy reception afforded two voices at this convention -- one woman who dared to discuss herself, and her concerns, and a man who dared to answer the Bush appeal to the African-American vote -- suggests timidity not consistent with this party's history. Everyone saying they were "off message." Whose message, white man? As Maureen Dowd voiced today, Democrats think the only shot at the prize is to copy the Republicans, walk n'talk butch, to scream strength and unity, and other macho platitudes. Since when did the Democratic party make staying "on message" so bland and singular of focus? Thou shalt not offend means don't sound too feminist, too disenfranchised, too pro-gay (how many times have gays been mentioned at the convention?) too angry -- and oh yes, too anti-Bush. I hate to break it to the party brass, but most of us out there attending FAHRENHEIT and grass roots Kerry activities are very anti-Bush administration, very offended by the Patriot Act, the war built on deception, the hate-generating constitutional amendment, the lack of discussion about myriad domestic issues, and our fervor should not be taken for granted.

Did it every occur to them that being against an administration we do not approve of might be ... a positive? "Staying positive" now has the same empty meaning as "support our troops." It mostly means -- sound Republican. For better or worse, our "unity" is about one thing: removing this regime. That is a fact, and though we all embraced pragmatic strategy -- propping up war hero Kerry to topple The War President Bush -- we are not a monolithic group of cheerleaders who spout group-speak. We do not need to have our wrists slapped when we voice our outrage, or when we bring up concerns other than homeland security and the economy. It was refreshing indeed to hear of the Colorado delegates, anti-war, all, who held out for Dennis K. If we are still a big tent party, let's support one another, and speak of matters big and small, those intensely personal and of national concern. No wonder no one knows what Kerry is about -- so far, he's too often just about not offending.
"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling
Updated On: 7/29/04 at 09:39 AM
papalovesmambo Profile Photopapalovesmambo Profile Photo
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: why must we fear teresa and rev. al?#1
Posted: 7/29/04 at 10:07am
for the same reason that kerry's getting the nod instead of kucinich or edwards or dean, auggie: democrats want to win in november and have convinced themselves that this is how they do it.

personally, i'm interested to see the sea change that democrats have always been there for the african american people, something i think some southern folk might find a bit humorous. remember, bull connor was a demcrat.

but i digress, it's actually due to the remarkably effective campaign of fear that the republicans have run that democrats are afraid to be democrats.

don't worry, your voice will be heard by jfk2. because as you know, he's been to vietnam.
r.i.p. marco, my guardian angel.

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective
thirdrowcenter Profile Photothirdrowcenter Profile Photo
thirdrowcenter
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: why must we fear teresa and rev. al?#2
Posted: 7/29/04 at 10:09am
Did Al blame bush for his not getting slave reparations?
Shut It Down Profile PhotoShut It Down Profile Photo
Shut It Down
Understudy
Understudy
re: why must we fear teresa and rev. al?#3
Posted: 7/29/04 at 10:31am
I hear you Auggie. I did read an interesting commentary regarding the tone of the convention. I think it was Josh Marshall at TPM. Anyway, he suggested that part of the change in tone from the primaries, which was more anger, more outrage is cosmetic, but the other is not. Outrage and anger stem from a feeling of powerlessness. Part of the shift in tone, and I agree hear, is driven by the feeling that the Dems have BushCo on the ropes. The polls are moving against him. He has spent over $100 million on negative ads to no effect and a still large undecided voter pool is a big negative for an incumbent. I would look for the media to begin to question whether or not Bush even has a shot at winning or whether there is a one-term curse on the family.

Don't Bring Your Hate to My Door and Expect a Welcome Mat.
iflitifloat Profile Photoiflitifloat Profile Photo
iflitifloat
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: why must we fear teresa and rev. al?#4
Posted: 7/29/04 at 10:47am
Auggie...

This is the kind of post that has been missing from you for far too long. You inspire me to follow things more closely and to examine things more carefully. Although we have similar political leanings, I love that you never blindly sign on to the party line, but constantly evaluate the whys and wherefores about everything. Keep posting, please.

Reading the exchanges between you and papa are always interesting and are a terrific microcosm of "the big picture". I'm hoping that the younger posters here...especially those who might be eligible to vote for the first time this year....will realize what a goldmine some of these OT threads can be when it comes to sorting through the minefield of national politics.
Sueleen Gay: "Here you go, Bitch, now go make some fukcing lemonade." 10/28/10
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: why must we fear teresa and rev. al?#5
Posted: 7/29/04 at 10:51am
don't listen to her, auggie, she's wacky on the junk. now close your eyes and repeat after me, "john effin' kerry is my own personal savior and i will do nothing, i repeat nothing, that might in any way cause anyone, anywhere to be threatened in any way by him or cause anyone to believe that he holds a position contradictory to theirs, whatever that may be. amen."

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective
jrb_actor Profile Photojrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: why must we fear teresa and rev. al?#6
Posted: 7/29/04 at 12:03pm
I thought Sharpton rocked last night. I thought Edwards was overall good, but did get a little cheesy.

I think the image I want for Democrats is somewhere in the middle. I think we have to address the injustices of the current administration AND of all administrations who have yet to find solutions to the mounting problems of health care, economy, education, and discrimination in this country. Yet, I think there comes a time to stop negative politics and discuss what each politician brings to the table. And, franky, this not only comes off as more respectable, but effective as I do not believe that Bush has much to stand on.
bwaysinger Profile Photobwaysinger Profile Photo
bwaysinger
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: why must we fear teresa and rev. al?#7
Posted: 7/29/04 at 12:07pm
The problem, JRB, is that it's far more effective to spend the majority of your time labeling your opponent to create a "why you can't vote for him" image as opposed to "why you should vote for me." I mean, let's look at it, Bush's reasons to vote for him are not that great. Ok, the economy is FINALLY on the rebound...but look at the deficit. Thanks, War on Terror! And need we even start on the war itself? He's painting himself a war president but that's ALL he's done.
StickToPriest Profile PhotoStickToPriest Profile Photo
StickToPriest
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: why must we fear teresa and rev. al?#8
Posted: 7/29/04 at 12:11pm
I loved his speech and message, but I was afraid Reverend Sharpton's head was gonna explode last night.
"One no longer loves one's insight enough once one communicates it."

The opposite of creation isn't war, it's stagnation.
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: why must we fear teresa and rev. al?#9
Posted: 7/29/04 at 12:12pm
Well, I am hoping that people will see the difference between a leader who is constantly name calling and deflecting his poor record and a leader who is showing the facts about himself and presenting a positive energy--one that this country needs in its image to the world.

But, you are prob right. People seem to prefer the cat fight.

Zola Q. LaPlaya Profile PhotoZola Q. LaPlaya Profile Photo
Zola Q. LaPlaya
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: why must we fear teresa and rev. al?#10
Posted: 7/29/04 at 12:12pm
I don't fear Teresa or Rev. Sharpton -- but as jrb with that hot new icon points out -- that doesn't mean that we shouldn't also hear what Kerry and Edwards would do if they win in November. (Al Sharpton got 7 standing ovations last night; I don't think anyone is afraid of what he said.)

I did like how the Hottie focused on policy detail last night: Roll back the tax cuts on the richest 2 percent of Americans; $4000 education tax credit; expanded child tax credits; and a renewed multilateral approach to foreign policy. I know we're just supposed to critique the performance value of these speeches but the content matters as well.
Stop worrying about what I'm doing -- focus instead on what you're eating.
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: why must we fear teresa and rev. al?#11
Posted: 7/29/04 at 12:25pm
Papa -- you were alot more fun when you and Vish were getting it on.

You know how a cat raises his paws when backed into a corner?? I think you need to look in the mirror.
Zola Q. LaPlaya
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: why must we fear teresa and rev. al?#12
Posted: 7/29/04 at 12:30pm
It's a rough week for Papa. He'll be back in snarky spirit once Boston has disbanded.

Speaking of conventions -- what is the plan for protests here when the GOP rolls in?
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: why must we fear teresa and rev. al?#13
Posted: 7/29/04 at 12:30pm
tommy, that reminds me of a joke...

but, i prefer my cats skinned and barbecued like they do in chinatown.

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

Zola Q. LaPlaya
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: why must we fear teresa and rev. al?#14
Posted: 7/29/04 at 12:32pm
Everyone's a little bit racist....
SueleenGay Profile PhotoSueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: why must we fear teresa and rev. al?#15
Posted: 7/29/04 at 12:34pm
I found Sharpton's speech quite moving. It was all the commentary after, and not by the Dems, but the "reporters" (who kept trying to get people to say how "over the top he was", how "inappropriate") that were freaking out. I think it was Bob Dole that said, basically, "What did you expect? It's Al Sharpton for goodness sake." Of course he went overtime he had to hold for applause. I don't think it's the Kerry people who are afraid of such speeches, but the Media who is afraid that people were actually listening.
PEACE.
StickToPriest Profile PhotoStickToPriest Profile Photo
StickToPriest
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: why must we fear teresa and rev. al?#16
Posted: 7/29/04 at 12:38pm
I especially liked how MSNBC stopped broadcasting the speech halfway through and Chris Matthews said by doing so they were doing Democrats everywhere a favor.

And FOX NEWS didn't broadcast it at all.

Thank God for CNN.
"One no longer loves one's insight enough once one communicates it."

The opposite of creation isn't war, it's stagnation.
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: why must we fear teresa and rev. al?#17
Posted: 7/29/04 at 12:41pm
Yes, it will be very interesting to see if FOX keeps to its current ideology during the RNC, not showing those speeches either. FOX is such bull.
Shut It Down Profile PhotoShut It Down Profile Photo
Shut It Down
Understudy
Understudy
re: why must we fear teresa and rev. al?#18
Posted: 7/29/04 at 12:41pm
Zola--

There are a ton of planned protests
www.rncnotwelcome.org and www.counterconvention.org are good sources of information.
The plans range from the big to the small, from the very "in-your face" to the non-confrontational.

Some other things that might not be up on those sites.

www.windowtreatment.com

an idea to keep lights on all night as a symbol of protest.

And our project.
Shut It Down!
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: why must we fear teresa and rev. al?#19
Posted: 7/29/04 at 12:42pm
unfortunately i don't have cable so i can't get all the spin, so i just watch the webcast on cspan (i loves my high speed connection). i like it much better not having to have everything explained to me and rather getting to just experience the speeches kinda like i'm watching from a really good sky box that can zoom around the hall to look at the back of the speaker's heads occasionally.

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: why must we fear teresa and rev. al?#20
Posted: 7/29/04 at 12:43pm
oh, papa, you are so much better than us. I keep forgetting this, lil kitty.
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: why must we fear teresa and rev. al?#21
Posted: 7/29/04 at 12:49pm
what are you on about now? i just said that i prefer to watch the webcast so that i can form my opinions based on my experience of the speakers without having to worry about missing things or having to listen to mostly mindless drivel.

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

mominator Profile Photomominator Profile Photo
mominator
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: why must we fear teresa and rev. al?#22
Posted: 7/29/04 at 12:49pm
Has anyone else been watching the convention on C-Span? They have been starting at 4:00 with the coverage and going non-stop w/ no commercials at all ( What can I say I am a party animal!)
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." Conan O'Brien
Zola Q. LaPlaya
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: why must we fear teresa and rev. al?#23
Posted: 7/29/04 at 1:04pm
I agree with Papa and Mominator: CSPAN is the way to go. Who gives a rat's patootie what Chris Matthews, or Peter Jennings, or Wolf, or Tom or Dan drone on about. Even George Stuffing Envelopes just blabs on endlessly about nothing, talking over the speeches.

But, Papa, what the heck??! You don't have CABLE?
Updated On: 7/29/04 at 01:04 PM
robbiej Profile Photorobbiej Profile Photo
robbiej
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: why must we fear teresa and rev. al?#24
Posted: 7/29/04 at 1:06pm
The only talking head presence that I really care about is Cokie Roberts, because that old lush will say just about anything!

Liquor her up, put the camera on her and let her fly!
"I'm so looking forward to a time when all the Reagan Democrats are dead."