Page: 1

I'm Stupid!

BwayTheatre11
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I'm Stupid!#0
Posted: 6/30/03 at 12:22pm
Ok im only 15....what are stand-bys? Are they people ready to go on if something happens....And swings? are they people who like do matinee shows. Thanks!
CCM '10!
Updated On: 6/30/03 at 12:22 PM
broadwayguy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: I'm Stupid!#1
Posted: 6/30/03 at 12:27pm
OK. I shall try to explain.

Swings -- they understudy ensemble roles. They do not have a nightly, set track in the show. They go on when an ensemble member is out or going on as a lead. swings also may act as understudies for pricipal roles. Every show with an ensemble has swings

stand-bys -- they understudy a lead role. usually one or two. they don not have a nightly track in the show. They are used when the lead role is very demanding or when a suitable understudy can found in the ensemble (Hairspray - Tracy must be fat, no ensemble girls can be fat. Shoshana is an understudy but must be padded up, so they have Kathy and Katy) or when there is no ensemble (many straight plays) or roles that allow a person to understudy the role.
BwayTheatre11
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: I'm Stupid!#2
Posted: 6/30/03 at 12:32pm
Ok thanks!
CCM '10!
broadwayguy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: I'm Stupid!#3
Posted: 6/30/03 at 12:35pm
No problem :)
CJR Profile PhotoCJR Profile Photo
CJR
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: I'm Stupid!#4
Posted: 6/30/03 at 1:37pm
I'd just like to add that you're not stupid -- people ask this question ALL the time :)
"You're every gay man's wet dream!" ~ MA

If in Heaven you don't excel, you can always party down in hell...

broadwayguy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: I'm Stupid!#5
Posted: 6/30/03 at 1:39pm
Yes. ALL the time.
BwayTheatre11
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: I'm Stupid!#6
Posted: 6/30/03 at 1:50pm
hey, now i can answer it!
CCM '10!
Albin Profile PhotoAlbin Profile Photo
Albin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: I'm Stupid!#7
Posted: 6/30/03 at 3:48pm
Whoops...I thought Dollypop originated this thread...
scooter38432 Profile Photoscooter38432 Profile Photo
scooter38432
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: re: I'm Stupid!#8
Posted: 6/30/03 at 3:57pm
Thanks for the clarification! I've always wondered that myself.

So, why do the leads in AIDA and other shows have understudies AND standbys -- and what is the deciding factor on which one goes on?

(My apologies if you already answered that question and if I just didn't read the answer correctly.)
Itty Bitty Geisha? Toyland? Gypsy Pasadoble? Just a few popular favorites...
broadwayguy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: I'm Stupid!#9
Posted: 6/30/03 at 4:09pm
You always want at least two covers for a role. Sometimes three or more depending on how demanding the role is. The JCS revival had FIVE understudies for Jesus and three for Judas. In most cases, producers see it as a waste of money to have two or three stand-bys for a role, so they will have a stand-by and an understudy. I know that in Gypsy, the only have the one stand-by and no understudy. That can be dangerous. EG -- in Aida, once day, Heather Headley was out sick, maya Days, the stand-by was recovering from surgery,a nd the understudy, Schele Williams was on vacation and out of town. They had to fly in Merle Dandridge from the tour to play the role for a few days.

The stand-by is the usually the first choice to go on, because it doesn't affect any other performers changing roles... only the one role/person. if the understudy goes on, not only do you have the understudy going on, but you have a swing who must go on in the uderstudy's normal role... it is a domino effect. It also costs extra for the understudy to go on because anytime a perfromers goes on in a role that they cover they recieve extra pay (1/8 of the 'first stringer's' weekly salary fro each perfromance). If the stanby goes on, you only pay them the extra compensation. If the understudy goes on, you must compensate the understudy(for 1/8 of the lead's salary) and the swing (for 1/8 of the understudy's salary).
CJR
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: I'm Stupid!#10
Posted: 6/30/03 at 4:16pm
Okay even though I'm more familiar with the understudy rotation at Chicago (because clearly, why wouldn't I be?) I assume they're all pretty much the same...

So at Chicago, Belle Calaway is the Standby for Roxie and Mama. Let's say Tracy Shayne (current Roxie) AND Camille Saviola (current Mama) are both out of the show. Belle clearly can't go on for both roles. So, she would go on for Roxie (or whomever called out of the show first) and then one of the understudies, either Michelle Robinson or Roxane Carrasco would go on as Mama. Then one of the swings (either Gabby Garcia or Sharon Moore) would step up and go on for whichever understudy went on.

There is a standby for the more demanding roles in a show -- they do NOT go on on a night basis, they purely stand by. If a show just had understudies, you would always have to bump around the whole cast to put on understudies AND swings to replace the understudies. It's just easier on everyone. Though last weekend at Chicago, every understudy and swing was on due to a nasty virus running through the company, and Michelle Potterf had to play both Liz AND Kitty. Im sure it was interesting to say the least re: re: re: I'm Stupid!

Deannaizme Profile PhotoDeannaizme Profile Photo
Deannaizme
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: re: re: re: I'm Stupid!#11
Posted: 6/30/03 at 5:13pm
Those are really excellent explanations.

:)
broadwayguy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: re: re: I'm Stupid!#12
Posted: 6/30/03 at 5:15pm
No Problem. Gald to be of help.

I am planning on making a t-stirt that says "Rent me for $20". :)
Deannaizme Profile PhotoDeannaizme Profile Photo
Deannaizme
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: re: re: re: re: re: I'm Stupid!#13
Posted: 6/30/03 at 5:15pm
Only $20? You're pretty cheap. re: re: re: re: re: re: I'm Stupid!
broadwayguy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: re: re: re: re: I'm Stupid!#14
Posted: 6/30/03 at 5:17pm
cheap AND easy :) LOL re: re: re: re: re: re: re: I'm Stupid!
CJR
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: re: re: re: re: I'm Stupid!#15
Posted: 6/30/03 at 5:17pm
Hahhaha crazy8.... honey I cost more than 20 bucks re: re: re: re: re: re: re: I'm Stupid!

broadwayguy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
hey, hey , hey. That is just to reserve your spot. All *ahem* services are priced accordingly re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: I'm Stupid!
Dollypop
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: I'm Stupid!#17
Posted: 6/30/03 at 5:20pm
NOT FUNNY, ALBIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)
broadwayguy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: I'm Stupid!#18
Posted: 6/30/03 at 5:21pm
Get him, DP!!
Dollypop
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re:Albin is wretched!#19
Posted: 6/30/03 at 5:26pm
Albin is a totally loathesome creature! Not only does he worship That Streisand Woman, but he has absolutely no taste in clothes. To paraphrase a line from WILL AND GRACE: He injured himself running from good taste!
broadwayguy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re:Albin is wretched!#20
Posted: 6/30/03 at 5:27pm
LOL. We <3 our DP.
Dollypop
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re:Albin is wretched!#21
Posted: 6/30/03 at 5:32pm
Thank you for your support, broadwayguy, but it's Albin who really needs it--especially when he's climbing stairs!
TheaterBaby Profile PhotoTheaterBaby Profile Photo
TheaterBaby
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: re:Albin is wretched!#22
Posted: 7/1/03 at 12:46pm
"To paraphrase a line from WILL AND GRACE: He injured himself running from good taste!"

LOL!!!!! OMG I love that line!
"It's the little things; the details, that distinguish the Barbra Streisands from the Rosalyn Kinds."~Gilmore Girls~
broadwayguy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: re: re:Albin is wretched!#23
Posted: 7/1/03 at 12:48pm
"To paraphrase a line from WILL AND GRACE: He injured himself running from good taste!"

What was that about Barry Weissler??
Updated On: 7/1/03 at 12:48 PM