Page: 1

An overlooked Film: GET OVER IT!

An overlooked Film: GET OVER IT!#0
Posted: 6/19/03 at 9:38am
For those of you who may not have seen this film and are looking for an unusual nights entertainment; may I suggest:

Get Over It!(2001)(Miramax)

This film has to be the gayest, most show-tune-y, most tongue-in-cheek,“teen” movie ever made.

The story is simple

17-year-old Burke (Ben Foster) is dumped by his girlfriend. She then starts dating an obnoxious English former boy band member. Burke tries out for a school play--a rock musical version of "A Midsummer Night's Dream"—just to keep an eye on the ex-girlfriend. He's totally unaware that his best friend's little sister (Kirsten Dunst) is attracted to him.

Throw in a really fresh screenplay, occasional musical production numbers and an incredibly off the wall drama teacher played with absolute comic lunacy by Martin Short and you have quite a fun little movie that unfortunately was a little too off from center to make much of an impact at the box office.

Also, Kirsten Dunst proves, yet again, to be a delight and the girl has a very firm sense of camp. Watch her as she tears through the awful song “Dreaming of a Boy”. She inflects her singing voice (and she does have one) with a “Broadway” sound and her movements are straight out of "theatere camp-101".

Adorable!

It’s not ”Citizen Kane” but it is very cute and well done and a lot of fun.
BillyLawlor Profile PhotoBillyLawlor Profile Photo
BillyLawlor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: An overlooked Film: GET OVER IT!#1
Posted: 6/19/03 at 11:01am
OMG- Im watching this right now! I think that Kirsten is great as well. When we were talking about casting for the Les Miz, I mentioned Kirsten for Eponine. It is a very funny movie.
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: An overlooked Film: GET OVER IT!#2
Posted: 6/19/03 at 11:55am
There really is some great dialogue:

Felix Woods: You know that song "Pocketful of Dreams"?

Band Member: Down here we call it "Pocketful of Ass".

and

Dr. Desmond Forest Oates: Bill Shakespeare was a wonderful poet. But Burt Bacharach he ain't.

and

Dr. Desmond Forest Oates: What direction do you think "left" is? See, because if you go with your instinct and reverse it, I think we have something happening. How difficult is this? I'm so alone, I think.

Jessica: I am trying. You are intimidating me.

Dr. Desmond Forest Oates: Well you are FRIGHTENING me! You understand that? How do you get dressed in the morning? Do you have people come in, or do you just lie in state?

OK..enough...I'm giving the whole film away...

TheaterBaby Profile PhotoTheaterBaby Profile Photo
TheaterBaby
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I love that movie! I actually used a piece from it for a project in one of my film classes.
Martin Short is so histerical in it (I love when he starts talking about how he tried to give Diana Ross a demo tape), and Kirsten Dunst can really sing (maybe not belt, but she has a sweet voice). I saw her one night at Gypsy. HMMM, maybe she'll come to Broadway soon.

I definitely reccomend that movie as well. It's fun to watch. re: re: re: An overlooked Film: GET OVER IT!

LOL I like the line, "Nice trick there Landers; catching the ball with your face."
"It's the little things; the details, that distinguish the Barbra Streisands from the Rosalyn Kinds."~Gilmore Girls~
Updated On: 6/19/03 at 02:00 PM
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Felix Woods: Hey Grabby-hands! Hands off the sister.

and lest not forget

Felix Woods: Just keep an eye on her man. 'Cause some of those theatre guys, they have a reputation of being kinda...

Dennis Wallace: Gay?

Felix Woods: See, now that's what they want you to think!

BillyLawlor Profile PhotoBillyLawlor Profile Photo
BillyLawlor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Burke: (Quietly) Kiss a little longer, stay close a little longer.
Forrest-Oates- PROJECTION!!!!!!!! Mr. Burke, Projection.
Songsstresss Profile PhotoSongsstresss Profile Photo
Songsstresss
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
This makes me SO HAPPY!!!! I've LOVED this movie for a couple years and no one has ever seen it! It's really genius for a crappy teen movie. Martin Short is hilarious! "Put your hand DOWN, Little Steve!" and Ben Foster is adorable. Boy band members, musical Shakespeare, the Big Red song, Burt Bacharach song.... IT'S JUST FABULOUS!!!
BrdwyThtr Profile PhotoBrdwyThtr Profile Photo
BrdwyThtr
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I have always thought this movie was funny. Whenever I see it on TV, I always stop to watch it.