Page: 1

GAY MARRIAGE: ATTACK OF THE BIGOTS

jrb_actor Profile Photojrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
GAY MARRIAGE: ATTACK OF THE BIGOTS#0
Posted: 7/10/04 at 11:32pm
President George W. Bush is a bigot. Plain and simple. If he and the rest of the country are so concerned about the protection of marriage and family, then maybe he should focus on divorce, spousal abuse, education, the economy, etc.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/07/10/bush.radio/index.html

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5410738

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,125272,00.html

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,125131,00.html

"said Sen. Lincoln Chafee, R-R.I. "To be seen as the party that's coming between two people that love each other doing what they want to do ... to me that's going to be seen as a liability, politically.""

SMART MAN. Who wants to stand among the bigots? We shall see when the vote happens (likely Wednesday).
Updated On: 7/10/04 at 11:32 PM
Gothampc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: GAY MARRIAGE: ATTACK OF THE BIGOTS#1
Posted: 7/10/04 at 11:56pm
Anyone remember the Defense of Marriage Act? I didn't see the Democrats trying to defeat that. At least with George W. Bush he tells you he's against gays. The Democrats smile and take gay money for their campaign and then quietly rubber stamp legislation such as the Defense.
If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
boborunstheshow Profile Photoboborunstheshow Profile Photo
boborunstheshow
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: GAY MARRIAGE: ATTACK OF THE BIGOTS#2
Posted: 7/10/04 at 11:59pm
while im not completly on your side, i do agree wholehearedly that there are other issues FAR more important, and dare i say, politically beneficial than gay marriage
Its Aberqurque NM for me. Speaking Spanish. Be Back September 06.
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: GAY MARRIAGE: ATTACK OF THE BIGOTS#3
Posted: 7/11/04 at 12:04am
You are right, Gotham. Anyone who votes or signs something anti-gay is taking a bigoted stance. The Democrats need to realize this as well when they place their vote on Wednesday.
Matt_G Profile PhotoMatt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: GAY MARRIAGE: ATTACK OF THE BIGOTS#4
Posted: 7/11/04 at 12:05am
I have to agree with Gothampc. Both parties happily take our money and than screw us over. We just have to decide who is going to hurt us less. It's very sad
"Noah, someday we'll talk again. But there's things we'll never say. That sorrow deep inside you. It inside me, too. And it never go away. You be okay. You'll learn how to lose things..."
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: GAY MARRIAGE: ATTACK OF THE BIGOTS#5
Posted: 7/11/04 at 12:41am
Since this debate is happening in 2 places, I want to copy this post of mine to this thread:

Let it be known Kerry's relationship to DOMA:

He was one of 14 Senators -- and the only one up for reelection in 1996 -- to oppose the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA).

Don't Ask, Don't Tell:

John Kerry opposed the Clinton Administration’s “Don’t Ask Don’t Tell Policy” He was one of a few senators to testify before the Senate Armed Services Committee and call on the President to rescind the ban on gay and lesbian service members.

to name just two things Kerry HAS done for gays and lesbians.

Source: http://www.johnkerry.com/issues/glbt/
Gothampc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: GAY MARRIAGE: ATTACK OF THE BIGOTS#6
Posted: 7/11/04 at 12:45am
So in essence what you are saying is that he doesn't even have enough credibility among other Democratic Party members to convince them to vote against anti-gay legislation?
If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: GAY MARRIAGE: ATTACK OF THE BIGOTS#7
Posted: 7/11/04 at 12:46am
reach, baby--DIGGGGG for it.

Go see F9/11, and then come chat with me. re: GAY MARRIAGE: ATTACK OF THE BIGOTS
Gothampc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: GAY MARRIAGE: ATTACK OF THE BIGOTS#8
Posted: 7/11/04 at 12:47am
What does F/911 have to do with gay rights?
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: GAY MARRIAGE: ATTACK OF THE BIGOTS#9
Posted: 7/11/04 at 12:48am
darlin'--in general, I have no desire to debate ANYTHING about this election with you until you have seen that film. Just my preference. re: GAY MARRIAGE: ATTACK OF THE BIGOTS
broadwayguy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: GAY MARRIAGE: ATTACK OF THE BIGOTS#10
Posted: 7/11/04 at 2:57am
Thanks for the post JRB..
broadwayguy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: GAY MARRIAGE: ATTACK OF THE BIGOTS#11
Posted: 7/11/04 at 7:09am
Every news station around here is covering this Pro-Bush/Anti-gay.. it pisses me off
sean martin
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: GAY MARRIAGE: ATTACK OF THE BIGOTS#12
Posted: 7/11/04 at 10:28am
>> "said Sen. Lincoln Chafee, R-R.I. "To be seen as the party that's coming between two people that love each other doing what they want to do ... to me that's going to be seen as a liability, politically.""

Well, duh, good sir. Problem is, we're an easy target when politicians need an issue to wrap themselves up in the flag with. Remember all the posturing that took place during the DoMA "debates" -- it would have been laughable if it hadn't been so serious.

But these aren't that much different from the "debates" that circled about interracial marriage in the 1950s and 60s -- it's just amazing to me that these soi-disant "leaders" haven't figured that out yet. Or worse, they have, and they know they can still make political hay with it for the moment.
"That duck was a sexual toy, and it was on display!" -- an unknown Nashville town leader
broadwayguy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: GAY MARRIAGE: ATTACK OF THE BIGOTS#13
Posted: 7/11/04 at 10:30am
They use the exact same agruements against us homos that they used against interracial couples back then.
bwaysinger Profile Photobwaysinger Profile Photo
bwaysinger
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: GAY MARRIAGE: ATTACK OF THE BIGOTS#14
Posted: 7/11/04 at 11:16am
"If courts create their own arbitrary definition of marriage as a mere legal contract and cut marriage off from its cultural, religious and natural roots, then the meaning of marriage is lost, and the institution is weakened," he said.

"For ages, in every culture, human beings have understood that traditional marriage is critical to the well-being of families.

Straight from Bush's mouth. I guess we don't want to remember the "Traditional" marriage situations of even Biblical times with harems, multiples wives, sleeping with your brother's widow to extend the family line, marrying relatives...'cause, gosh, that's how no one did it in Puritanical times.
Which we are still living today.
sean martin
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: GAY MARRIAGE: ATTACK OF THE BIGOTS#15
Posted: 7/11/04 at 11:29am
>> If courts create their own arbitrary definition of marriage as a mere legal contract

... which historically it always has been, although it's not fashionable to say so. In Biblical times all the way up till the early 19th century, it was a business proposition, with dowries, usually land, involved. This is why, in the Middle Ages, rich people got married on the land the bride was bringing to the union, while the poor people, who had no land of their own, had to settle with getting hitched in a church.
"That duck was a sexual toy, and it was on display!" -- an unknown Nashville town leader
bwaysinger Profile Photobwaysinger Profile Photo
bwaysinger
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: GAY MARRIAGE: ATTACK OF THE BIGOTS#16
Posted: 7/11/04 at 11:33am
MArriage was also a religious institution for the most part. At least, government had little to nothing to say in the matter. ONly when they realized that there were financial benefits to making marriage a legal contract did they legislate on it.
So, basically, Bush is using his power to be an activist himself and preserve his own church's idea of marriage, especially given that several denominations are now coming out on the side of gay marriage.
sean martin
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: GAY MARRIAGE: ATTACK OF THE BIGOTS#17
Posted: 7/11/04 at 11:37am
>> MArriage was also a religious institution for the most part. At least, government had little to nothing to say in the matter. ONly when they realized that there were financial benefits to making marriage a legal contract did they legislate on it

Close, but not quite. Marriage was usually something more of a business partnership, without church or government involved. The church's role of "blessing" the relationship was initially just a small grace note to the whole proceedings, but the church, just like the government, realized they could make serious PR points by getting more involved and turning it into a "religious rite".
broadwayguy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: GAY MARRIAGE: ATTACK OF THE BIGOTS#18
Posted: 7/11/04 at 11:43am
bingo