Bush vs. Kerry -- The Deciding Issue for You?

If your vote for President of the U.S. rested on how each stood on one issue that you considered to be the most critical to you, what would that issue be?

broadwayguy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
That is VERY tricky.. between the war, the economy, and Bush/Cheney the Bigot Brigade.. i am not sure
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
simple - i would vote for 'not bush' - i cannot and will not support a theocrat.
broadwayguy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
exactly....

I just can't pick "the most important issue". LOL
junglered Profile Photojunglered Profile Photo
junglered
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
#1 issue for me is taxes.
jrb_actor Profile Photojrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
With every issue in Moore's film and the fact that I think that Dubya is just so effing stupid, the issue that hits hardest is the gay marriage issue. It's the most personal. While Kerry and Edwards don't have the guts to stand up for gay marriage, they are at least in favor of gay unions and for every other gay civil rights issue.

http://www.advocate.com/html/stories/919/919_edwards_tmp.asp
broadwayguy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I'm surpirsed Bush doesn't have us in fenced off ghettos by now......
bmeonbway2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Aside from his obvious incompentence and manipulations, 1. Iraq and 2. civil rights issues.
Gothampc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Finish what we started in Iraq. I vote for Bush.
If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
DAME
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Bush is an idiot . I never liked him, I never voted for him, and he is not and will never be my president. We are hated all over the world because of this goofball.
HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!
broadwayguy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
because of this (Ignorant, half witted, biggoted) goofball.
magruder Profile Photomagruder Profile Photo
magruder
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I'm no fan of Bush, but America has been hated the world over long before George W. took office. America has the terrible habit of meddling in the business of others countries, usually under the guise of establishing a "democracy," but more often for nefarious or selfish purposes, and leaving said country in a shambles when things don't go as planned. I'm generalizing, but there are many examples through Central and South America, as well as our history in the Middle East, and with Democractic and Republican administrations to equally share the blame.
"Gif me the cobra jool!"
DAME
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Actually;
lots of Europe loved Clinton.
Oh and Magruder; is that Robbe on your icon? I am a huge fan.
magruder Profile Photomagruder Profile Photo
magruder
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Yup! Robbie Williams and a puppy, in a fight to the finish of who can be cuter.
"Gif me the cobra jool!"
DAME
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Why Robbie of course. He is a dreamboat. And I love his personality.
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
It is virtually impossible for me to give Mr. Bush any credibility of thought, as even he himself celebrates his anti-intellectualism. However, whoever is pulling the strings (and it might very well be him) knows how to play the political game. And a game it is, much to the confusion, frustration and anger of many whose lives are directly affected by their chess moves. This new maneuver of forcing the DMA issue is going to have the effect they desire, and I find that painful. Almost as painful as the ideology of 'we should finish what we started in Iraq' - when, in many cases, there has been no thought of acknowledging the idea that we shouldn't have been there in the first place. I wonder how far this schism in life-view that exists in this country will go. Sometimes, enough is enough.
sean martin
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
The one deciding issue?

How long it takes Bush to move out of the White House.

And Magruder: you're right about the US slipping in prestige around the world, but Bush just shoved it all right over the edge. Seriously, anyone who votes for this twit deserves a free week at Betty Ford.
"That duck was a sexual toy, and it was on display!" -- an unknown Nashville town leader
SammyGal
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Gay Marriage Amendment
Trying to take away Roe V. Wade

those in my mind are the most important.
AKA BUSH IS A F*CKING MORON!

KERRY/EDWARDS ALL THE WAY!
On a clear day I can see myself for miles ~Taboo
Gothampc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
For those of you voting for Kerry, I'd like to know why. All I'm hearing is the "Bush is an idiot" litany. Any real reasons why you want to see Kerry in office? What is he going to do for this country?
If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
luvtheEmcee Profile PhotoluvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I don't think I could really choose a single "most important issue." I can't f*cking stand Bush, and am most certainly not voting for him!
A work of art is an invitation to love.
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Gothampc - I absolutely understand your point. It is beyond frustrating that the apparent option doesn't seem to have a 'center of gravity,' if you will. Of course it would be appropriate and optimum to vote for somebody because you actually wanted them in office, rather than simply because you don't want the opponent. However, in my own case, the antipathy I have for Mr. Bush and what he stands for, with and by is so great, that I'm not sure there's any option I wouldn't take. It is indeed unfortunate that the Democrats chose not to investigate the few candidates who actually seemed to have a thought and idea as to how they felt and what they would do. In many ways, they continually prove to be what the Republicans paint them as. But again, when left with the awareness that you cannot under any circumstances support this administration, there really are no realistic options at this time.

And how sad is that?
iflitifloat Profile Photoiflitifloat Profile Photo
iflitifloat
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Magruder is right...the US has a long history of self-serving meddling. The difference in the case of Iraq is that we became the overt aggressor by invading a country that was not an imminent threat to our safety and well-being. And many Americans were duped into being supportive of the invasion based on a planned and structured series of lies.

Now, even I don't think we can just walk away from Iraq at this point in time (although I firmly maintain we should never have been there in the first place...), but Cheney, Ashcroft, Rumsfeld, and their puppet, W, need to be taken out of the equation while there is any chance at all of America regaining any credibility in the eyes of the world.

On the home front, my main concerns all fall under the general heading of privacy. Privacy is central to many areas of concern....reproductive choice for women, same sex unions, free speech, open access to medical records...and on and on.

Kerry and Edwards can certainly be faulted for not being more aggressively in favor of same sex marriage, but I believe that they are aiming to win the war, not just a battle. I think, politically, it is prudent for them to support same sex unions and benefits, which is less of a potential hot button for middle of the road undecided voters---and less of a lightening rod for the Rovians to manipulate. As much as I would like to see same sex marriage be a done deal immediately, it makes sense to get elected first (while supporting "diluted" gender issues) and then it's a hop, skip and a jump to full and equal rights that include the term of marriage.

It has pained me to write the previous paragraph. It is only since I've become older that I've developed the patience to work for gains in stages...to reign in my natural tendency to DEMAND everything (politically) up front. And I've only become willing to take the slower road because I've seen, over time, that that's often how some of the biggest, most far-reaching gains have been made.
Sueleen Gay: "Here you go, Bitch, now go make some fukcing lemonade." 10/28/10
Borstalboy Profile PhotoBorstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Did anyone watch "NOW with Bill Moyers" last night? (Yeah, I know it can be a snooze, but still...it's important viewing). They had this guy going on about how America is more interested in the culture wars than the things that really affect us personally as Americans, and how politicians count on this. For instance, someone always brings up the "School Prayer" issue at some point, now this will NEVER come to pass in America, but by talking about it openly in the press and whatnot, and hopefully getting the ACLU involved, the Right gets support from people (particularly in the ever-screwed-by-the-right lower classes), because support for religion shows the people that they "share the same values"....and they vote accordingly. This year alone, there was more signifigant political talk about a film made by Mel Gibson or gay marriage than there was about the economy, benefits, healthcare, etc. This is how the right rallys up the troops and gets people to support a party that doesn't give a **** about them.
"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing. ~ Muhammad Ali
shesings
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Gotham - I have heard others echo your view point, lets finish in Iraq, etc. My own father said to me "Bush made this mess let him clean it up" but the problem is HE WON'T. Things will just escalade and continue to become worse. Maybe Kerry hasn't given us a ton of reasons why he would be a wonderful pres, but Bush has given us a ton why he is a dreadful pres. He is running our country into the ground. Thats reason enough for me to for vote Kerry. Anyone would be better than Bush.
Also Kerry has much more tolerant views, such as those regarding gay marriage. Let's stop living in the 50s. Whether or not gay marriage is a sin is not for us to decided. That decision is God's and God's alone. Pressing the issue is just a sad attempt to gain the Christian vote, when in reality gay marriage won't effect our government one bit. Except for maybe boost the economy with all the added revenue from those FABULOUS weddings the gay men will throw! We wonder why people hate our country .. it's pretty evident to me.
papalovesmambo Profile Photopapalovesmambo Profile Photo
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
given the choice between a cadaver and a chimp i'll take the chimp every time based solely on it's propensity to fling it's own feces.

oh c'mon that was a little funny!

i'll be voting bush because i fear that john kerry in his haste to "improve" america's standing in the world will kowtow to every single expectation that comes down the pike from every "ally" out there and ensnare american foreign policy in a morass of feel good internationalism while paying lip service to fighting the tide of islamo-fascism that threatens to wash away civilization as we know it.
r.i.p. marco, my guardian angel.

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective