Page: 2

What to bring to college?

Broadway Matt Profile PhotoBroadway Matt Profile Photo
Broadway Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: what to bring to college?#26
Posted: 6/21/04 at 4:17am
speaking as a musical nerd with a thing for merchandise, I suggest to avoid bringing excessive things like posters and signed playbills until you move out of the dorms into a place you plan on staying for more than a year. they may add to the ambience, but they won't be as good a friend to you as your Broadway CD's and your favorite DVD's. other important items are a fake ID and a costco/sam's club card.

"The last train out of any station will not be full of nice guys." - Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"I wash my face, then drink beer, then I weep. Say a prayer and induce insincere self-abuse, till I'm fast asleep"- In Trousers

secret-soul Profile Photosecret-soul Profile Photo
secret-soul
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: what to bring to college?#27
Posted: 6/21/04 at 9:57am
or a BJs card....it all depends on where you live. I agree w/ the brewable system idea and munchies containers. Also, a roll of gaff tape or duct tape comes in REAL handy: because of where my desk was this year, I had to run my ethernet wire in line w/ the door so I had to constantly re-tape it down. Another thing: a little baby size ironing board, because you never know when you'll need one, and you can iron on your bed. Also, don't buy a little house plant (like herbs or wheat grass) until you know how much you'll be able to care for it. Our first wheat grass plant...well,,, we didn't water it...and we neglected it so much that it LIVED...but if you watered it, it would begin to wither. Oh, and somehow my cilantro got aphids. hmmm...
Oh, and post-its.
Plince! Plince! Nein! T-Rex!!
say what?
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: what to bring to college?#28
Posted: 6/21/04 at 11:19am
Always bring flip-flops, going bare foot to the showers will skeeve you and your dorm mates out.

"SUNY Binghamton, yes. I'm sure getting a degree from SUNY Binghamton is very useful. Normally to get a degree with that kind of credibility you'd have to study in Guatemala or Haiti."
bwaylyric Profile Photobwaylyric Profile Photo
bwaylyric
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: what to bring to college?#29
Posted: 6/21/04 at 11:43am
Bring "Fun Tack" to hang posters - works well in dorms with cinderblock walls.

Also bring a mattress cover to use under your sheets. You don't even want to know the history of your dorm mattress!
CapnHook Profile PhotoCapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: what to bring to college?#30
Posted: 6/21/04 at 11:57am
Great tips, everyone.

What about theatre books? Songbooks? So far, I have:

Books:
Making It On Broadway
Urinetown script

Songbooks:
The Producers
Hairspray
Peter Pan
Seussical
Wicked
Aida
Mamma Mia!
42nd Street
Anastasia
Annie
"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle
~FloweryFriend~ Profile Photo~FloweryFriend~ Profile Photo
~FloweryFriend~
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: what to bring to college?#31
Posted: 6/21/04 at 5:33pm
secret-soul, you're comment about the duct tape and gaff tape gave me a brilliant idea...

GLOW TAPE!!!
I starred in a short film called Magnetic Personality. Check it out!
secret-soul Profile Photosecret-soul Profile Photo
secret-soul
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: what to bring to college?#32
Posted: 6/21/04 at 6:31pm
YEA! glow tape is also great. A few friends of mine had things like black lights and traffic lights and disco ball thingys in their rooms--it's great.
Plince! Plince! Nein! T-Rex!!