Page: 1

Gen. Zinni

iflitifloat Profile Photoiflitifloat Profile Photo
iflitifloat
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Gen. Zinni#0
Posted: 5/30/04 at 1:15pm
Gen. Zinni (retired from the Marine Corps) was just interviewed on CNN by Judy Woodruff. This is a guy who was a huge Bush supporter and was initally in favor of invading Iraq. His analysis of how things have been bungled and gone so terribly wrong is as fascinating as it is frightening. This guy is no left wing pinko commie, just waiting for Bush to make a mistake that he can jump on....he was one of them.

There is also an interview with him from NPR that is well worth listening to and can be found at the link below.
Zinni
Sueleen Gay: "Here you go, Bitch, now go make some fukcing lemonade." 10/28/10
Auggie27 Profile PhotoAuggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Gen. Zinni#1
Posted: 5/30/04 at 1:49pm
Sorry I missed this. Saw the 60 MINUTES piece. These days, appearing on 60 MINUTES is usually an orchestrated prelude to a Bush Regime Revelation book tour launching, and then having one's loyalty-slash-patriotism questioned. In Zinni's case, neither. His POV isn't as easily demonized as being self ($$, political opportunity) serving, and thus is harder to dismiss.

Bob Dole, hardly a man who holds his tongue, simply said "I disagree with that General..." and asked us to wait 5 years before we judge Iraq. 5 years? A lifetime in this conflict. As Bush infamously told Woodward, how history judges this war won't matter since "we'll all be dead..." The question is: how many more soldiers will be dead in 5 years? And, befitting this weekend -- which is all about how history judges war -- will we have a memorial to them in Washington?
"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling
Updated On: 5/30/04 at 01:49 PM
papalovesmambo Profile Photopapalovesmambo Profile Photo
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: gen. zinni#2
Posted: 5/30/04 at 7:22pm
just like the richard clarke book, clancy and zinniís book is being published by simon and schuster, who are owned by viacom, who also own cbs news, who produce, oddly enough, 60 minutes.

man is cut and paste easy!
r.i.p. marco, my guardian angel.

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: gen. zinni#3
Posted: 5/30/04 at 7:30pm
It's called media synergy and it's brought to you by media consolidation brought to us by, well, you know, the Republicans!
Can you hear me now? Twitter: @NamoInExile
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: gen. zinni#4
Posted: 5/30/04 at 7:32pm
and thank god for that, otherwise, these dastardly heathens would have to get press by themselves and we'd have no way to cry fowl. duck, duck, duck...goose!

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective
MasterLcZ Profile PhotoMasterLcZ Profile Photo
MasterLcZ
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: gen. zinni#5
Posted: 5/30/04 at 7:48pm
Oh, fiddle-de-dee! The important thing I want to know is - are there any photos online of General Zinni in a wet speedo? I need it for comparative purposes.
"Christ, Bette Davis?!?!"
Updated On: 5/30/04 at 07:48 PM
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: gen. zinni#6
Posted: 5/30/04 at 7:58pm
nah, master. wes is a stallion and zinni's a brahma bull.

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

Auggie27 Profile PhotoAuggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: gen. zinni#7
Posted: 5/30/04 at 7:59pm
60 MINUTES devoted eleven minutes tonight to showing the 800 war dead. As always, people will cry "exploitation!" And "You have an agenda!" I hope they do have an agenda, because seeing all those smiling faces, some kissing infant children, some barely shaving, continues to say it all. Of course -- speaking of the biased media agenda -- the same show repeated an interview with Sadr, and showed him and many Iraqis talking about how we are 2nd only to Saddam as an enemy. They read letters from people who praised and (some) and were offended by the Zinni interview. Long may 60 minutes and their bias enlighten and offend. It served as my Memorial Day observation.
"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling