Page: 1

Okay, I Just Told Off A Cop

Matt_G Profile PhotoMatt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Okay, I Just Told Off A Cop#0
Posted: 5/25/04 at 11:50pm
I just put on some shoes and ran accross the street to the 7-11 to get a soda. When I was walking up there were a group of cops just sitting down resting. A guy came out with his pants down showing his underwear (like so many of us do) when the cops told him he'd better pull his pants up because "All the gays are here this week for the faggot parade and he better watch out for them"

Okay, that really pissed me off. I told the cop that said it that he needs to be careful who he says that in front of and that it's attitudes like that that make people not trust the police. I than told him I can't believe someone in his position would even think to say something like that in public. I made a point to go and look at the license plate of the cop car than give him a little look. When I came out of 7-11, he said "Hey, Man.." and I stopped him and said "Don't bother" and walked away. MY HEART WAS POUNDING SO FAST. I was really scared that he was going to do something, but he didn't. I just didn't want to let that go without saying something. Hopefully he'll be more careful.
"Noah, someday we'll talk again. But there's things we'll never say. That sorrow deep inside you. It inside me, too. And it never go away. You be okay. You'll learn how to lose things..."
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Okay, I Just Told Off A Cop#1
Posted: 5/25/04 at 11:58pm
What city's having a faggot parade this week? And do people REALLY come in on a Tuesday for it?

Good for you for speaking your mind. It's scary sometimes.
Can you hear me now? Twitter: @NamoInExile
Matt_G
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Okay, I Just Told Off A Cop#2
Posted: 5/25/04 at 11:59pm
I'm in DC and I had no idea we were having a parade here. I didn't get the email about it if we were.
"Noah, someday we'll talk again. But there's things we'll never say. That sorrow deep inside you. It inside me, too. And it never go away. You be okay. You'll learn how to lose things..."
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Okay, I Just Told Off A Cop#3
Posted: 5/26/04 at 12:21am
The only thing worse than a homophobe is a homophobe who misrepresents the date of the faggot parade. Are you going to report the incident?
Matt_G
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Okay, I Just Told Off A Cop#4
Posted: 5/26/04 at 12:24am
I did write down the license plate of the cop car, but is that even something you can report?
Phantom2 Profile PhotoPhantom2 Profile Photo
Phantom2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Okay, I Just Told Off A Cop#5
Posted: 5/26/04 at 12:32am
This sounds like a job for the QAF Pink Posse!
"I'm learning to dig deep down inside and find the truth within myself and put that out. I think what we identify with in popular music more than anything else is when someone just shares a truth that we can relate to. That's what I'm searching for in my music." - Ron Bohmer

"I broke the boundaries. It wasn't cool to be in plays- especially if you were in sports & I was in both." - Ashton Kutcher
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Okay, I Just Told Off A Cop#6
Posted: 5/26/04 at 12:33am
Good question. And will it do any good. However, you might want to see if any advocacy groups there keep records of things like that. Though technically not violence, many gay anti-violence groups DO keep records of such things.
Matt_G
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Okay, I Just Told Off A Cop#7
Posted: 5/26/04 at 12:38am
That's actually a really good idea, Namo. I'll check that out in the morning. It was just something that really bothered me tonight.
CATSNYrevival Profile PhotoCATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Okay, I Just Told Off A Cop#8
Posted: 5/26/04 at 2:32am
Awww... our own little gay crusader. I feel safer knowing that you're out there to protect us Matt! (even from cops) But, leave the fire department to me... re: Okay, I Just Told Off A Cop
Updated On: 5/26/04 at 02:32 AM
ErikJ972 Profile PhotoErikJ972 Profile Photo
ErikJ972
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Okay, I Just Told Off A Cop#9
Posted: 5/26/04 at 7:37am
Good for you Matt. Although I have to say I was hoping this story would be what led to the picture in your icon....
Mister Matt Profile PhotoMister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Okay, I Just Told Off A Cop#10
Posted: 5/26/04 at 7:38am
I know we recently had several incidents in Chicago with firemen using racial slurs over the radio that have had investigations. It is a form of sexual descrimination and harrassment when slurs are used by those in authority. I would report it to the local gay advocate group at least to see if there are any similar additional reports. If patterns emerge in locales or in the frequency of the verbal abuse, they can report the precinct to be investigated.
"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
Janki Profile PhotoJanki Profile Photo
Janki
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Okay, I Just Told Off A Cop#11
Posted: 5/26/04 at 9:31am
Hey Matt_G....what you did was great...it took a lot of nerves....I can only take my hat of for you....:)!!!!
Popular...You're gonna be Popuular....;)
mominator Profile Photomominator Profile Photo
mominator
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Okay, I Just Told Off A Cop#12
Posted: 5/26/04 at 9:36am
I also wanted to add my own WTG!! It is hard to stand up to people when you know that they are in the wrong.
B
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." Conan O'Brien
Janki Profile PhotoJanki Profile Photo
Janki
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Okay, I Just Told Off A Cop#13
Posted: 5/26/04 at 9:44am
Matt-G: kinda funny...I mean, look at your picture..re: Okay, I Just Told Off A Cop....and then think of what you did...
Popular...You're gonna be Popuular....;)
TxTwoStep Profile PhotoTxTwoStep Profile Photo
TxTwoStep
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Okay, I Just Told Off A Cop#14
Posted: 5/26/04 at 12:49pm
i still want the backstory on MATT_G's avatar, but i join in saluting his bravery. The only advice i'd offer (when i have experienced things like this) would be to consider getting his badge or license tag or whatever, and going to see him at the station later (after your heart is through pounding, and when you can be calmer). The point being, confronting someone in front of peers is not necessarily the best way to (hopefully) educate them. By holding your cool a bit (but keeping the passion) you can show HOW important it was to you; returning later shows the offender you are taking it seriously yet can be civil. Just a thought.
Will: They don't give out awards for helping people be gay... unless you count the Tonys. "I guarantee that we'll have tough times. I guarantee that at some point one or both of us will want to get out. But I also guarantee that if I don't ask you to be mine, I'll regret it for the rest of my life..."
mamamia sammy Profile Photomamamia sammy Profile Photo
mamamia sammy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Okay, I Just Told Off A Cop#15
Posted: 5/26/04 at 1:15pm
Good thought, Two Step!
BroadwayWorld: A home for the dangerously unhinged
Borstalboy Profile PhotoBorstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Okay, I Just Told Off A Cop#16
Posted: 5/26/04 at 2:46pm
Big hats off to you, Matt....whenever confronted with those situations, I just turn into a big **** and say nothing. Mind your own business......and then feel like crap about it for the rest of the day. Kudos. I admire you!
"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing. ~ Muhammad Ali
broadwayguy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Okay, I Just Told Off A Cop#17
Posted: 5/26/04 at 4:56pm
BRAVA for that retort!!!!!

DC huh???? Hmmm.... that is to be expected what with the current occupancy there and all......
on1ystarinthesky Profile Photoon1ystarinthesky Profile Photo
on1ystarinthesky
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Okay, I Just Told Off A Cop#18
Posted: 5/26/04 at 5:01pm
*applause for Matt_G*

What a brave soul you are. And very collected. I would have probably just flipped him off and muttered some obscenities under my breath. Nice job. re: Okay, I Just Told Off A Cop
DJ Jellyfeltz's Weekly "Don't You Just Hate That?" (courtesy of Scott Cohen)
Walking by the same person you've already walked by in the dairy, produce, and frozen-food sections.
*I AM A MEMBER OF THE BWW.COM RADIOACTIVE SQUIRREL CLUB*
Jane2 Profile PhotoJane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Okay, I Just Told Off A Cop#19
Posted: 5/26/04 at 5:06pm
Good for you, Matt. I hope you would have also spoken up if it were a plain citizen who said that.
<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES
Cyndy Profile PhotoCyndy Profile Photo
Cyndy
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Okay, I Just Told Off A Cop#20
Posted: 5/26/04 at 5:11pm
Good for you ,Matt...just be careful. I also think Two Step has some great points.
"If there is to be any peace it will come through being, not having." Henry Miller
jrb_actor Profile Photojrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
DAME
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Okay, I Just Told Off A Cop#22
Posted: 5/29/04 at 1:43pm
Proud of you Matt. We must stand up against the Mr Roxys of this world.
HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!
NuggetMonkeys Profile PhotoNuggetMonkeys Profile Photo
NuggetMonkeys
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Okay, I Just Told Off A Cop#23
Posted: 5/30/04 at 2:11pm
ROCK ON.
-d.b.j-
Vary My Days.