Page: 1

The right wing take on "children of gay marriage"

Auggie27 Profile PhotoAuggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Lest anyone thinks the right wing spin on gay marriage is harmless, just about "the sanctity" of the heterosexual edition, check this out, available at the conservative web site, Townhall.com. This is from Mona Charen, whom some call a "moderate." This chills me. It's reminiscent of the old Anita Bryant toxicity of the 70s -- implying that gay parents "freshen the ranks...", Anita's old term.

http://www.townhall.com/columnists/monacharen/mc20040521.shtmlhttp://www.townhall.com/columnists/monacharen/mc20040521.shtml>http://www.townhall.com/columnists/monacharen/mc20040521.shtml
"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling
orion59 Profile Photoorion59 Profile Photo
orion59
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
It's interesting that she takes a fair, legitimate study, sites the outcome of it and quotes the findings of the reasearchers, yet tries to use it as support for her views that gay marriages are unhealthy for children. Anyone with half a brain reading this can see that the study does not support what she is trying to say. If anything, it sounds pretty inconclusive given the limitations of the study and the inability to include a wide range of subject from various living situations, regions and socioeconomic backgrounds
http://www.danperezgallery.com
SonofMammaMiaSam Profile PhotoSonofMammaMiaSam Profile Photo
SonofMammaMiaSam
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I actually used this and similiar studies for a thesis in grad school a few years ago. You are correct that the research results were inconclusive given the limited data. And, in fact, were more supportive that gay parenting has little if no effect on children comparitively.
orion59 Profile Photoorion59 Profile Photo
orion59
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I suspect that even if they were able to study a better cross section and get mor conclusive data, one of the findings would be that children of gay couples say that they have experimented with same gender sex moer than children of heterosexual couples. Any intelligent person will understand taht just about every child entering puberty has a desire to experiment and explore sexuality with anyone that is willing. They have hormones going crazy and, especially boys, think of almost nothing other than sex.

The only thing a study like this will show in that area is that the children of gay couples are not afraid to talk about this experimentation and do have the same sense of shame about it. Unfortunately, people like this woman will put tehir own spin on it and use it as evidence that these children are confused sexually. even more unfortunately, there are enough people in this country stupid enough to believe that.

The only difference I can imagine would be found is that children of gay couples will be more likely to be ridiculedand ostresized by peers and will therefore be under additional pressure.
http://www.danperezgallery.com
Auggie27 Profile PhotoAuggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Yes, as Orion and Sonof astutely clarify, the startling POV of this article is: ignore the data, and go with your own "morality." Because homosexual "erotic urges" are wrong. This 1952 pre-Kinsey deduction (forget the Psychiatric community elimninating homosexuality as an "illness" -- or God forbid, a socio-political event like Stonewall) is shocking in 2004, yet many conservatives -- supposedly thinking, well-read people -- clearly cling to it. Exhibit A: Rick Santorum. Charen suggests, not too subtly, that mere tolerance alone breeds more gays and lesbians. In other words, keep saying it's wrong, and the number of "practicing" gays will decrease. Again, 1952, or 1852. As always, such a philosophy conveniently ingores the statistics on violence to gays, or teen suicide, which is very closly tied to gay teen self-esteem (I did much research on that myself for a TV show).

So whenever someone suggests that a mere difference of opinion on the subj of "what gays do behind closed doors" doesn't breed hatred -- and hate crimes -- it's a smoke screen. I don't think we can discuss this topic enough. Let us not forget: This fear based culture war is far more insideous, despite Will and Grace and Queer Eye drawing big Neilson ratings. (Amos and Andy was a popular show, too, even as people were being lynched.)
"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling
Updated On: 5/21/04 at 09:58 AM
SamIAm Profile PhotoSamIAm Profile Photo
SamIAm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Well if this were the case#5
Posted: 5/21/04 at 10:17am
then all children of gay parents would be gay and all children of heterosexual parents would be straight. IGNORANCE is more frustrating to me than anything...but you pass on that ignorance...that is the most toxic. So...lest we spend too much time worrying about gays 'passing it on' (and so what if they DID?) let's put all our worry into people drawing conclusions based on stupidity, bigotry and the mindless insistence of making statements that are factually incorrect!
"Life is a lesson in humility"
EddieVarley Profile PhotoEddieVarley Profile Photo
EddieVarley
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Well if this were the case#6
Posted: 5/21/04 at 10:41am
Bravo Sam!

Having two very old school and very IGNORANT parents, I struggled mightly to rise above much emotional horror, but with passion, luck and a very healthy heaping of creative fantasy and some Scott Baio photos I made my choices and created the person I am today.

And as stated I had a Mother who would scream out such gems as;
"The Star Wars Got You GAY!" and "Don't LOOK at your Father, he was drinkin' ALL day!"

The main thing I would hope we all do is build and nurture tolerance, we are in troubled times, and logic and insight will prevail, and wonderful discussions like this are an important part of "Our" war on the terror known as IGNORANCE.
Are you following BroadwayWorld.com yet on Facebook & Twitter? click here.
SamIAm Profile PhotoSamIAm Profile Photo
SamIAm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Star Wars made you gay?#7
Posted: 5/21/04 at 3:01pm
Now THAT'S original. Must have been the subtle overtones of sexual tension between Chewbaca and Han
"Life is a lesson in humility"
dramaqueen Profile Photodramaqueen Profile Photo
dramaqueen
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Star Wars made you gay?#8
Posted: 5/22/04 at 1:49pm
What are they trying to prove?? That kids raisd by same sex couples are worse off in life??? THis makes me mad (GRRR) I was raised by lesbain parents and though i think its true that we feel more comfortable experimenting with sexuality-it has nothing to do with the rest of our lives!
:) cco
MasterLcZ Profile PhotoMasterLcZ Profile Photo
MasterLcZ
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Star Wars made you gay?#9
Posted: 5/22/04 at 2:59pm
STAR WARS???!!!

Well, I think it was those suggestive light sabers. Or the white disco interplanetary pantsuits.
"Christ, Bette Davis?!?!"
Updated On: 5/22/04 at 02:59 PM
EddieVarley Profile PhotoEddieVarley Profile Photo
EddieVarley
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Star Wars made you gay?#10
Posted: 5/23/04 at 10:45am
Sam and Master I think you might of hit it on the head, the "Force" must be with you both!

Are you following BroadwayWorld.com yet on Facebook & Twitter? click here.