Page: 1

Fame

CJR Profile PhotoCJR Profile Photo
CJR
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Fame#0
Posted: 5/28/03 at 8:50pm
Anyone else watching this new American Idol type show on right now?

Can I just say, I have never in my life heard so many people butcher All That Jazz....
"You're every gay man's wet dream!" ~ MA

If in Heaven you don't excel, you can always party down in hell...

ErikJ972 Profile PhotoErikJ972 Profile Photo
ErikJ972
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Fame#1
Posted: 5/28/03 at 9:39pm
From the commercials this show just came off as a rip-off of American Idol. Although I have a feeling that it might become my guilty pleasure of the summer. When does American Idol 3 start?
Alvin and My Sheepdog Rex Profile PhotoAlvin and My Sheepdog Rex Profile Photo
Alvin and My Sheepdog Rex
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Fame#2
Posted: 5/28/03 at 9:41pm
Thanks for the tip. I'll watch it later this evening out here on the Left Coast. Rex has a low tolerance for painful noise, so I'll let him be the judge.
My perfect day would begin at on the beach in Hana, Maui and end at a Broadway Musical.
CJR
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: Fame#3
Posted: 5/28/03 at 9:41pm
I hated AI, just fyi. The principle is the same, but I like that there's actually dancing involved.

bongoboy Profile Photobongoboy Profile Photo
bongoboy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Fame---Where's the spirit?#4
Posted: 5/28/03 at 9:58pm
I don't know...looks to cheesy. I also hate that they are searching for one "TRIPLE THREAT". I loved the spirit of the movie Fame where everyone had their individual talent and story. That would have been SO much more interesting...to find talented people in all performing genres, then go behind the scenes into their real lives and see how they go about making their dreams come true.
TheaterBaby Profile PhotoTheaterBaby Profile Photo
TheaterBaby
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I hated AI#5
Posted: 5/28/03 at 10:02pm
I never really watched American Idol because for one thing, I think we have enough pop stars; and secondly, I don't like the fact that you can vote more than once.

I did want to watch "Fame" though because Debbie Allan was behind it, but I forgot it was on tonight. And I may watch that new American Idol kids show....just for the humor of watching all those stage mothers. LOL
"It's the little things; the details, that distinguish the Barbra Streisands from the Rosalyn Kinds."~Gilmore Girls~
CJR
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: I hated AI#6
Posted: 5/28/03 at 10:35pm
Debbie Allen has not aged well, first of all. Second of all, I think it was incredibly fixed that 2 of the finalists (at least that we know of at this point and time) have worked with her before...

Also, one would think that Debbie would check these thing before they get announced to the public. The following is off the Fame website. It's the list of approved songs you could choose from. Can anyone spot the two errors?

"AIN'T NO MOUNTAIN HIGH ENOUGH" (DIANA ROSS), "AND ALL THAT JAZZ" (CHICAGO), "BAD GIRLS" (DONNA SUMMER), "BIG SPENDER" (FOSSE), "BLACK VELVET" (ALANA MILES), "CABARET" (LIZA MINNELLI), "DANCIN' IN THE STREET" (MARTHA & THE VANDELLAS), "DON'T RAIN ON MY PARADE" (FUNNY GIRL), "FALLIN'" (ALICIA KEYS), "FOR ONCE IN MY LIFE" (STEVIE WONDER), "GENIE IN A BOTTLE" (CHRISTINA AGUILERA), "GOT TO BE REAL" (CHERYL LYNN), "HIT ME A HOT NOTE" (SOPHISTICATED LADIES), "HOT STUFF" (DONNA SUMMER), "I DON'T WANT NOBODY TO GIVE ME NOTHING" (JAMES BROWN), "I GOTCHA" (STEVIE WONDER), "I'M EVERY WOMAN" (CHAKA KHAN), "ISN'T SHE LOVELY" (STEVIE WONDER), "JUST FRIENDS SUNNY" (MUSIQ SOULCHILD), "LADY MARMALADE" (CHICAGO THE FILM), "RESPECT" (ARETHA FRANKLIN), "ROCK WITH YOU" (MICHAEL JACKSON), "WHAT'S GOIN' ON" (MARVIN GAYE), "WITHOUT U" (USHER), "YOU'RE MAKIN' ME HIGH" (TONI BRAXTON), AMAZING GRACE, AMERICA THE BEAUTIFUL, STAR SPANGLED BANNER.

bongoboy Profile Photobongoboy Profile Photo
bongoboy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: re: I hated AI#7
Posted: 5/28/03 at 10:40pm
O.k...(1) Lady Marmalade is from Moulin Rouge and not Chicago...and (2)shouldn't one of the songs be "Hit me WITH a hot note"?? from Sophisticated Ladies??
TheaterBaby Profile PhotoTheaterBaby Profile Photo
TheaterBaby
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Big Spender#8
Posted: 5/28/03 at 10:43pm
Well, for one thing..."Big Spender" is originally from "Sweet Charity", even though it was also in "Fosse."
"It's the little things; the details, that distinguish the Barbra Streisands from the Rosalyn Kinds."~Gilmore Girls~
broadwayguy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Big Spender#9
Posted: 5/28/03 at 11:11pm
It was a glorified American Idol. Plain and simple. I don't like the fact that their definition of triple threat is singing, dancing, and being hot. It perpetuates the belief that you must be attractive to be good. I did like the blonde guy that made to finals. I wish the brunette girl would have made it. That blonde girl only made it because she looks like Britney Spears.
Alvin and My Sheepdog Rex Profile PhotoAlvin and My Sheepdog Rex Profile Photo
Alvin and My Sheepdog Rex
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: 7 minutes#10
Posted: 5/29/03 at 12:07am
I tuned in for about 7 minutes and then tuned out. I couldn't stand the pain!
My perfect day would begin at on the beach in Hana, Maui and end at a Broadway Musical.
PigletH13 Profile PhotoPigletH13 Profile Photo
PigletH13
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: re: 7 minutes#11
Posted: 5/29/03 at 7:12am
Such a shame that it was so bad...but there was no doubt that most of the 6 last night couldn't sing! Yes, they can dance...I think that is what Debbie was really looking for, a superstar dancer than can carry a tune.

Hell, I just watched it because Eric Millegan was on it. And Eric...please don't feel badly that you didn't make it past round 2 in NYC...you're already a star! (In case he reads this board!)

PigletH13
addition to the serenity prayer: Help me hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they pissed me off!!! :-)
CJR
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: 7 minutes#12
Posted: 5/29/03 at 9:24am
I lied -- there were 3 errors... I didn't spot the 3rd till just now.

Big Spender is from Sweet Charity, not Fosse
Cabaret is from Cabaret, not originally by Liza
Lady Marmalade is from Moulin Rouge not Chicago -- frankly I find it insulting that they would even entertain that notion!

Kudos to those who caught this... perhaps *I* should be working for Fame! lol

luluhed Profile Photoluluhed Profile Photo
luluhed
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: re: re: re: 7 minutes#13
Posted: 5/29/03 at 9:31am
Carny - wear something opaque.
CJR
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: re: re: 7 minutes#14
Posted: 5/29/03 at 10:29am
I second that.... I'd also like to mention that she should go back to being a redhead. I was not digging the blonde