Page: 1

Job Help.... WAY off-topic

SweetTea
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
Job Help.... WAY off-topic#0
Posted: 5/19/04 at 3:10pm
Does anyone out there have any ideas about good employment agencies or other places to look for employment while auditioning. I mean, the bills still have to get paid. Also.... I have been working in customer service at the same company for 3 years, and before that, at a different company for a year and a half. If I stay in this field, does anyone have any idea what kind of salary I should push for? I am A+ and MOUS certified (if you don't know what that means, you haven't worked in an IT field) and type about 45 wpm (one handed due to my injury). Any thoughts or ideas? I'm sure there are lots of "starving" artists in the city.... I just don't want to be one. Job Help....  WAY off-topic And for those of you who have read my previous posts.... I decided NOT to go to AMDA, and now I gotta find a JOB! Still Moving in mid-Jan. :)

-Tea
ckeaton Profile Photockeaton Profile Photo
ckeaton
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Job Help.... WAY off-topic#1
Posted: 5/19/04 at 3:12pm
The off-topic board is for topics that are "off-topic".
But I'm sure this was an innocent mistake. One of the boys will move us.
Hamlet's father.
redhotinnyc2 Profile Photoredhotinnyc2 Profile Photo
redhotinnyc2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Job Help.... WAY off-topic#2
Posted: 5/19/04 at 3:15pm
I suggest a temp agency called The Laury Group (212-832-3690, I believe)- they are very actor friendly (if you are looking for temp work) and have kept me employed for many years off and on while I was performing. Nice (if a bit eccentric) group of people.
"I don't really get the ending,all i can go with is when after several months,Judith saw Pat sang,and later she kissed him on the toilet,after that the story back to where Pat went down from the stage after he'd sung,and he went to the italian lady.I just don't get it,what Judith exatcly meant when he kissed Pat that she had seen,and did Pat end up together with The Italian Lady?Please help me,thank u very much!" Quote from someone on IMDB in reference to a movie he/she didn't understand. Such grammar!
SweetTea
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: Job Help.... WAY off-topic#3
Posted: 5/19/04 at 3:21pm
So sorry to post in the wrong board.... It was a boo boo on my part.... A slip of the mouse, if you will. re: Job Help....  WAY off-topic And thanks for the feedback so far.

-Tea
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: Job Help.... WAY off-topic#4
Posted: 5/19/04 at 5:16pm
Also good is Supporting Cast on 40th between 5th and Mad, if you're looking for a temp agency. Again, very friendly to theatre people.

I also waitress which, if done correctly, means you're fed for free, are able to drink and socialize and can make $100-$200 bucks a night.
SweetTea
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: Job Help.... WAY off-topic#5
Posted: 5/19/04 at 5:24pm
Yeah, I was thinking of waiting tables (which I have done in the past but DESPISED it, primarily because it was a Hooters, yes, Hooters *GAG*), but I only have about 65% movement in my left hand and my nerve reactions in that hand are pretty shady as well. I'd love to temp somewhere, but I'm concerned about not making enough $$ that way. I could probably bartend (never been to "school" for it, but I can pour a MEAN drink or 10 :)).... I dunno.... What's avearge salary for your everyday office temp?

-Tea
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: Job Help.... WAY off-topic#6
Posted: 5/19/04 at 5:28pm
You can make anywhere between 9 and 15 an hour, depending on where you go.

And, as good a pourer as you are, most restaurants require (in addition to experience, especially in NY) the certificate from an accredited bartending school.
SweetTea
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: Job Help.... WAY off-topic#7
Posted: 5/20/04 at 8:24am
Well, temping it is..... Thanks for the input. I'll check out the suggested agencies.

-Tea