Clay Aiken

DAME Profile PhotoDAME Profile Photo
DAME
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Clay Aiken#0
Posted: 5/13/04 at 2:17am
Watching Clay Aiken perform tonight reminds me just how inferior this years contestants are. I was lucky enough to be at American Idol last year when he sang Solitaire. Nothing so far this year has come close. That said... I think Latoya London will do just fine on her own. She reminds me of a young Diana Ross. She has the same kind of elegance.
HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!
Matt_G Profile PhotoMatt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Clay Aiken#1
Posted: 5/13/04 at 2:22am
Dame,
Latoya London is a class act. She is such a graceful lady and the way she handled America's stupidity tonight was fantastic. Just smiles and thank you's to her fans. I will be the first in line to buy her CD when it comes out.
"Noah, someday we'll talk again. But there's things we'll never say. That sorrow deep inside you. It inside me, too. And it never go away. You be okay. You'll learn how to lose things..."
mominator Profile Photomominator Profile Photo
mominator
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Clay Aiken#2
Posted: 5/13/04 at 9:24am
DAME!! I am so jealous. Not to mention Erin will flip when I tell her that you were there!! Clay didn't win and he is doing quite fine on his own. I hope someday he'll come to Broadway. LaToya as well will sell a million her first day.
B
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." Conan O'Brien
redhotinnyc2 Profile Photoredhotinnyc2 Profile Photo
redhotinnyc2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Clay Aiken#3
Posted: 5/13/04 at 9:38am
Ya know, I liked Clay's voice - but totally agreed (for the first and last time) with Simon the night he said that if he were casting a Broadway show, he'd hire clay in a second, but that Clay's voice is not Pop Idol material. That is so true (to me anyway)...I listened to Clay's first CD in Barnes and Noble one day and was bored out of my mind...I think he's much more vocally suited to musical theatre.
"I don't really get the ending,all i can go with is when after several months,Judith saw Pat sang,and later she kissed him on the toilet,after that the story back to where Pat went down from the stage after he'd sung,and he went to the italian lady.I just don't get it,what Judith exatcly meant when he kissed Pat that she had seen,and did Pat end up together with The Italian Lady?Please help me,thank u very much!" Quote from someone on IMDB in reference to a movie he/she didn't understand. Such grammar!
SueleenGay Profile PhotoSueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Clay Aiken#4
Posted: 5/13/04 at 10:45am
Well I see one major difference between LaToya and Diana Slosh..er, I mean Ross. One of these women can actually sing!
PEACE.
Broadwaylilhead Profile PhotoBroadwaylilhead Profile Photo
Broadwaylilhead
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Clay Aiken#5
Posted: 5/13/04 at 11:24am
There were just no good homo's this year to make the show shine like Mr Clay :)
Call it a regime change...
Borstalboy Profile PhotoBorstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Clay Aiken#6
Posted: 5/13/04 at 12:20pm
Clay has a lovely voice but no personality to speak of...LaToya, if she wins, has the interesting distinction of being the first AI contestant to have some edge, her lack of polish helps her, I think.
"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing. ~ Muhammad Ali
Broadwaylilhead Profile PhotoBroadwaylilhead Profile Photo
Broadwaylilhead
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Clay Aiken#7
Posted: 5/13/04 at 12:30pm
Well Ruben had er..well more curve than edge but he definitely NOT polished... which is apparent by AI constantly rolling out Clay anytime they need a spokesperson or appearance.
Call it a regime change...
Matt_G
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Clay Aiken#8
Posted: 5/13/04 at 12:39pm
Whatever happened to Ruben? I heard a rumor that he choked on a ham sandwich and died. Is that wrong?
"Noah, someday we'll talk again. But there's things we'll never say. That sorrow deep inside you. It inside me, too. And it never go away. You be okay. You'll learn how to lose things..."
Updated On: 5/13/04 at 12:39 PM
JohnPopa Profile PhotoJohnPopa Profile Photo
JohnPopa
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Clay Aiken#9
Posted: 5/13/04 at 12:56pm
"Whatever happened to Ruben? I heard a rumor that he choked on a ham sandwich and died. Is that wrong?"

The only thing wrong is your notion that you're being funny.
Matt_G
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Clay Aiken#10
Posted: 5/13/04 at 12:59pm
I was making a Mama Cass joke and I just woke up. Cut me some slack. I'm a lot funnier once I'm awake.
Updated On: 5/13/04 at 12:59 PM
DAME
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Clay Aiken#11
Posted: 5/13/04 at 1:29pm
Well; Clay has proven to be a huge hit in the pop category. As far as people saying his voice was too broadway. I never understood that. Because he can sing? Because his voice sounds full and rich ? Because he sounds even better live? And as for Clay not having a personality; Did any of you watch him on the tonight show this last week? He has really come into his own. He is going on tour on his own this summer and I plan on going. He supposively is singing with each cities Symphony orchestra or something like that.
Updated On: 5/13/04 at 01:29 PM
JohnPopa
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Clay Aiken#12
Posted: 5/13/04 at 1:45pm
"I was making a Mama Cass joke and I just woke up. Cut me some slack. I'm a lot funnier once I'm awake."

No.
Matt_G
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Clay Aiken#13
Posted: 5/13/04 at 1:56pm
Yes
Jane2 Profile PhotoJane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Clay Aiken#14
Posted: 5/13/04 at 2:11pm
Dame, I agree. Clay has a winning personality. I think his enormous popularity is reflective of his charm and of course, his voice!
<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES
redhotinnyc2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Clay Aiken#15
Posted: 5/13/04 at 2:39pm
I guess I just don't like the brand of pop that he sings - it all sounds so generic - but I do agree that he has a beautiful voice.
"I don't really get the ending,all i can go with is when after several months,Judith saw Pat sang,and later she kissed him on the toilet,after that the story back to where Pat went down from the stage after he'd sung,and he went to the italian lady.I just don't get it,what Judith exatcly meant when he kissed Pat that she had seen,and did Pat end up together with The Italian Lady?Please help me,thank u very much!" Quote from someone on IMDB in reference to a movie he/she didn't understand. Such grammar!
Auggie27 Profile PhotoAuggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Clay Aiken#16
Posted: 5/13/04 at 2:51pm
He's very gifted, and his legit vocals give him something many kids his age lack: musical integrity. But he's in danger of becoming his generation's Wayne Newton. The biz, paradoxically, can be cruel to artists that dare to appeal to TOO broad a base, i.e. grannies can take their 'tweens to his concerts. His Peter Pan side -- the lack of pronounced sexuality -- contributes to that syndrome. Even Michael Jackson grabs his crotch.

Whether fair or not, his PG-ness makes him uncool to like in some circles. Sometimes -- though he sounds nothing like her -- he reminds me of Karen Carpetner. Considered plastic and cornball when alive, but now revered (by K.D. Lang, no less--who also admires Wayne) for her musicianship.
"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling
Updated On: 5/13/04 at 02:51 PM
theatermafia Profile Phototheatermafia Profile Photo
theatermafia
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Clay Aiken#17
Posted: 5/13/04 at 3:00pm
I see nothing wrong with him becoming this generations Wayne Newton. Better than this generations Vanilla Ice. wayne Newton was and is very popular among his generation. So I guess I don't understand what the danger is. I guess madonna could be in danger of becoming this generations Mae West or that Latoya London could be this generations Ms Ross. I don't see what the DANGER is in any of that.
Updated On: 5/13/04 at 03:00 PM
DAME
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Clay Aiken#18
Posted: 5/13/04 at 3:22pm
And Karen Carpenter was also a huge superstar. All struggling artists should be so lucky to fall into that "Danger."
JohnPopa
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Clay Aiken#19
Posted: 5/13/04 at 4:29pm
He's really closer to being a new Barry Manilow who was also seen as being bland and sexually vague throughout most of his career.

The difference is Manilow wrote most of his own songs but I think in terms of persona and singing style Aiken and Manilow are very comparable.

And, no, there's nothing wrong with being the next Barry Manilow.
Matt_G
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Clay Aiken#20
Posted: 5/13/04 at 4:31pm
And isn't Barry Manilow one of the world's best selling artists?
JohnPopa
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Clay Aiken#21
Posted: 5/13/04 at 4:33pm
Probably.
redhotinnyc2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Clay Aiken#22
Posted: 5/13/04 at 4:40pm
Barely ManEnough?
DAME
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Clay Aiken#23
Posted: 5/13/04 at 4:41pm
By Manilows own admission; Clay Aiken can sing circles around him
JohnPopa
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Clay Aiken#24
Posted: 5/13/04 at 4:46pm
I agree that Clay's a better singer than Manilow. In fact, I'd love to hear Clay sing some of Barry's tunes.