Page: 1

The sweeps guilty pleasure: "10.5"

Auggie27 Profile PhotoAuggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The sweeps guilty pleasure: "10.5"#0
Posted: 5/3/04 at 4:06pm
No, you afficianados of the popular new dick thread, it's not the title of Jack Wrangler's autobiography.

It's NBC's retro mini-series, the likes of which we haven't seen sinced Ava Gardner was Lorne Green's daughter (!) in EARTHQUAKE. Everything from the Lionel train used in cheesy miniatures to the plotting remind us of the genre's heyday.

What was "fresh" in the most bizarre sense was the opening act, during which the space needle in Seattle tumbled to the ground amid dust and rubble, and the President -- a gruff, Bushian type played by Beau Bridges -- was informed of the catastrophe. As he -- and we -- watched repeated slo-mo of the needle tumbling, the obvious allusion to 9/11 was hammered home. The dialogue in the Bridges White House featured all sorts of Busheque short declarative speeches. It was dreadfully exploitive of the era we've lived through, but there wasn't time to tsk-tsk, becaus in minutes we were back on Irwin Allen era terra not-so-firma. The Golden Gate Bridge's collapse had one of the single funniest effects outside of a Merry Melodies cartoon: as the bridge fell, the cars momentarily hovered in mid-air, and then reconnected with the pavement, en masse. And the relationship between Kim Delaney and poor Fred Ward, as Bridge's beleagured, deballed head of FEMA, is reminiscent of the obligatory scene of all such films -- most notably, Scheider and the Mayor in JAWS. You know, the government won't listen until X number of people are cobbled up/buried alive.

I will get my SOPRANOS fix on the Wed. repeat. But tonight, I wouldn't miss part two for anything.
"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling
Updated On: 5/3/04 at 04:06 PM
mominator Profile Photomominator Profile Photo
mominator
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: The sweeps guilty pleasure: '10.5'#1
Posted: 5/3/04 at 5:08pm
Auggie27 I am so with you!!! This movie is sooooo bad. The effects are horrid (and who ever told Kim Delany that she could act?) The opening with the kid on the bike? PRICELESS!! The Space Needle? what a hoot!! all I can say is The popcorn is all set to go and the dimmer is set. Bring on the 10.5!!!
Barbara
By the way I have some land near SF any takers?

"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." Conan O'Brien
Mister Matt Profile PhotoMister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I'm trying to remember if there was a decent disaster mini-series since "The Day After". That one was quite dramatic and edgy for its day.
"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
papalovesmambo Profile Photopapalovesmambo Profile Photo
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
mrs. mambo refused to let me watch, but i saw a trailer for this at the theatre when i went to see "hellboy." i think it was worth making if just for the line, and i am paraphrasing a bit here, "the west coast is going to drop into the pacific." delivered without a hint of irony.
r.i.p. marco, my guardian angel.

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective
Borstalboy Profile PhotoBorstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Aw, crap! I missed it! Did they at least have Charleton Heston or Genevieve Bujold do a cameo, for Chrissake?
"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing. ~ Muhammad Ali
mominator
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Don't think so Borstalboy (Sadly). But tonight is the night LA's turn!! Hollywood sign, does anyone know if the Angelin billboard gets it? Remember in Volcano? Mister Matt I almost forgot about The Day After, man I remember being scared by that one!
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." Conan O'Brien
Mr Roxy Profile PhotoMr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I taped part 1 last night & will do the rest tonight. In this way I can fast forward through the commercials ( & maybe most of the movie as well )
Poster Emeritus
mominator
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Yeah the only good stuff is when the ground starts a rumblin'
mominator
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Now let me get this straight.... They want to Nuke a fault line in order to stop the earthquakes???
Auggie27
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
This thread will die today, but before we bury 10.5 in the fault(of NBC) line, did anyone else find all the Presidential hand-wringing in the White House beyond bizarre? We kept cutting back to the tortured if entirely impotent Beau Bridges ("I want to go with Dr. Hill's plan!") I finally kept smelling a big ol rewrite, that all that was added in a 15th draft. It wasn't remotely organic, and it did nothing. I was almost offended by the Bush-like voice over at the end,as we viewed the new bay cut through LA (that looked a lot like a great new place to build condos, no? I mean, talk about on the water's edge...)

I thought the whole use of the Big Daddy in Washington seemed almost subversive, as he kept telling the nation about "prevailing" etc. I kept waiting for mission accomplished. It's pure post 9/11-speak, the way we had cold war/nuke metaphors in Godzilla movies back in the 50s.
Updated On: 5/4/04 at 07:57 AM
mominator
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I just found the whole thing bad really bad! I mean come on now Fred Ward had a 2 ton nuke fall on him and he can carry on a coversation w the President, Dr. Sam and make amends with his son? Please.. I enjoy mindless camp... but this one reached new lows. I hope that the director's kids got their toy train back.Yes I think this will be the end of this thread, but thank goodness that silly movie most likely is also dead and will never make it to DVD.
Barbara
BTW I still have that land near SF, ...
TheaterBaby Profile PhotoTheaterBaby Profile Photo
TheaterBaby
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I missed the first 5 or 10 minutes on Sunday, which apparently was the only good part.
What a crappy, crappy movie. Hmmm, well, let's evacuate the entire West Coast and then blow up nuclear bombs so that they couldn't possibly move back there even after the quakes stop, because it will be radioactive!
There were definitely too many characters' storylines. Who wants to watch the girl from 8 Simple Rules walk around and complain for a half hour?
Very ammusing how they were all smiling at the end. I assume it was because they were releaved to be alive, even though they just survived a major disaster and most of their family and friends were probably dead.

One thing that was cool was the shot of what California looked like after that giant piece of land broke off. I could picture Celebrities wanting to buy houses there so they could be on their own island. They could call it Malibu 2.

I'm not sure which was worse? Either 10.5 or Earthquake in New York. Both were really bad though.
"It's the little things; the details, that distinguish the Barbra Streisands from the Rosalyn Kinds."~Gilmore Girls~
Michelleruth Profile PhotoMichelleruth Profile Photo
Michelleruth
Stand-by
Stand-by
All of it was bad. The acting, the writing, the special effects...In years to come, this may be looked back upon as the "Plan 9 from Outer Space" for the year 2004.

What about the water/new shoreline that stopped two feet from where the main characters fell down at the end of the show? What about the smiling faces of the survivors surveying their new coastline? Were they enjoying the new view??? What about all the children who happened to hang onto their TOYS after running for their lives during the final 10.5 quake? COME ON!!!!! So terrible! So terrible!
"Do Real Magic....Live Your Dreams"
Mr Roxy Profile PhotoMr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Ooh, I cannot wait to watch it. I love bad movies. Back in 1986, they had the worlds worst film festival (NYC) with such gems as:

1. The Saved Hitlers Brain (Hitler's live head in a hatbox)
2. White Pongo ( About a white gorilla)
3. Terror of Tiny Town ( A midget musical western)
4. Attack of the Killer Tomatoes
5. Mothra
6. Plan 9 From Outer Space ( Ed Wood)
7. Night of the Ghouls (Ed Wood)
8. Glen or Glenda ( Ed Wood)
9. The Creeping Terror ( about a killer carpet from outer space)
10.Robot Monster ( a gorilla in a diving helmet with a bubble
machine - in 3 D yet)
Poster Emeritus
Updated On: 5/4/04 at 07:13 PM
Auggie27
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Roxy, ever hear of "Love Me Deadly" Starring Lyle Waggoner (Carole Burnette's so-called 'hunk'?) Not to be missed. A necrophiliac love story.
TheaterBaby Profile PhotoTheaterBaby Profile Photo
TheaterBaby
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Dont forget about Return To Oz. lol
"It's the little things; the details, that distinguish the Barbra Streisands from the Rosalyn Kinds."~Gilmore Girls~
mominator
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Does anyone remember Tentacles? Really bad and I think it was in Italian as well badly dubbed into English.
barbara