Page: 1

Mame at North Shore.

ShineOn Profile PhotoShineOn Profile Photo
ShineOn
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Mame at North Shore.#0
Posted: 5/20/03 at 10:48pm
I've had season tickets to North Shore for God only knows how long. Now that I'm living in New York, I didn't get a chance to go back and missing "Mame" was like the end of an era for me. I'd really like to know how it went if anyone was fortunate enough to see it. I may be seeing "Smokey Joe's" next month, though I would have preferred the former over the latter.

-daisy
"You! You are the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber! And you, well, I just plain don't like you."
~Stewart Gilligan Griffin
Lctheatre
Swing
Swing
Saw it.#1
Posted: 5/21/03 at 12:26am
I saw it, and I loved it. It was a wonderful production. Some people didn't like Beth McVey(Mame) but I thought she was wonderful. She made Mame human. She was so beautiful in her act two costumes, and her "If He Walked Into My Life" was very powerful. Cindy Benson damn near stole the show as Gooch, though I thought she had moments of being over the top. Lisa McMillan wasn't that strong a Vera, she dropped lots of lines, but managed well enough. Daniel Plimpton was adorable as Young Patrick, and Adam Monley was charming as Older Patrick.
All in all, it was a great night of theatre.

P.S. The "Smokey Joe's" cast is really sounding wonderful. I got to hear some of their rehearsal, it's going to be good.
ShineOn
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Ooo..#2
Posted: 5/21/03 at 12:29am
That's good. I'll be taking my little cousin with me.

I really love North Shore. It's by far my favorite regional theatre. They put on some fabulous productions and get really creative with that stage. It's a fun place. I would love to work there one day. :)

Glad to hear you enjoyed "Mame." I'm really disappointed I missed it.
"You! You are the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber! And you, well, I just plain don't like you."
WSS2 Profile PhotoWSS2 Profile Photo
WSS2
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
Reviews have...#3
Posted: 5/21/03 at 12:32am
McVey as fine but not great.

And did you know she is the sister of Mark J. McVey, the long time Valjean?
Lctheatre
Swing
Swing
Yep#4
Posted: 5/21/03 at 12:57am
Yes I did know she was J. Mark McVey's sister as he was at the show one of the nights I was working Yep
orion59 Profile Photoorion59 Profile Photo
orion59
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Heard it was vey good#5
Posted: 5/21/03 at 5:57pm
I have a friend that went and very much enjoyed it. He said pretty much what has been written below, that McVey was good but not outstanding and Gooch did steal the show in spite of those over the top moments. I had really wanted to go but was too busy in a show myself to be able to work it into my schedule
http://www.danperezgallery.com
ShineOn
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
...#6
Posted: 5/21/03 at 8:47pm
I talked to my aunt and my mother and they both loved it. Sorry I missed it.

--daisy