"Nobody Likes To See Dead People on TV"

Auggie27 Profile PhotoAuggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"Nobody Likes To See Dead People on TV"#0
Posted: 4/13/04 at 9:36pm
If anyone -- any one of you at all -- thinks that was a winning Presidential performance tonight, please explain how and why. Forget his inability to answer the questions -- and read the transcripts, he didn't answer most of them -- that stammering ass-coverer was the leader of the free world -- a man who babbled about mustard gas at a turkey farm (in Libya?!)

Nobody likes to see dead people. Thank you, Mr. President. Now we can stay the course.
"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling
Updated On: 4/13/04 at 09:36 PM
papalovesmambo Profile Photopapalovesmambo Profile Photo
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'nobody llikes to see dead people...'#1
Posted: 4/13/04 at 9:43pm
whether or not he answered the questions was immaterial, auggie. the whole purpose of that press conference was for him to show some confidence, and get out his statements which he did. did you really think he was there to answer questions? i would bet that the polls show a decent bounce.

all the said, he got slam dunked by the what is your biggest regret question. but that was fortunately right in the middle and he got a chance to recover and rant some more before the end. to me, he looked committed and appropriately concerned and made the points he wanted to make.

my question is what the hell was that rambling monologue at the end by don from npr?
r.i.p. marco, my guardian angel.

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective
Auggie27
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Papa, no. That quivering defensive stance was your idea of leadership? You found the telling "babbler" tonight ... to bethe NPR questioner? If so, I am just sad. And more convinced than ever that we are doomed.
Updated On: 4/13/04 at 09:50 PM
jrb_actor Profile Photojrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I didn't see the speech tonight, so I can not comment on it. With that said, (from what I read on CNN.com) I agree that we have to take responsibility for what is happening in Iraq by finishing what we started. I also accept the point that the person to blame for 9/11 is Osama bin Laden (and his followers). Placing blame on any administration is indeed taking blame away from those who committed the crime. It's along the lines of trying to blame a girl for getting raped because she wore a short skirt or blaming the music industry for your kid's bad deeds.

On the other hand, to respond to the title of this thread, I find it deeply insulting that there is a ban on the media's showing coffins of "returning" soldiers. It's censorship (unless of the family's wishes) and it's covering the ugly truth of war. I've always felt it was indeed of a political motivation--show the coffins and Bush loses all support (for the war and for reelection). If we are stawalt in our cause for Iraq and for our reputation as President, we shouldn't need to cover our boo boos with pretty bandaids.

And, papa, your comments suggest that Bush need only be a strong figurehead--not the need to provide answers and to be a strong leader. Just want to point that out.
Victoria Grant Profile PhotoVictoria Grant Profile Photo
Victoria Grant
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
I normally don't like to comment on political issues, but one thing that really upset me tonight was when President Bush noted that he " Was disappointed with some of our military men & women some have done a great job and some have not." My reaction to this comment is that was a no no. Our Troops from all divisions are doing the best job they can, Mr. President. They have left loved ones behind to serve our country and I feel bad that our country has to basically be put through another Vietnam. Here is to all of Our Troops and hope that they return home soon to their loved ones.

I feel better now.
iflitifloat Profile Photoiflitifloat Profile Photo
iflitifloat
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
JRB...it's being replayed on CNN...just starting now (11:30)
Sueleen Gay: "Here you go, Bitch, now go make some fukcing lemonade." 10/28/10
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I'm watching a rebroadcast on my local PBS station. I just don't understand why simple use of the English language a) seems to be so difficult for the president of the united states and b) that doesn't bother a LOT of people.
Chat with the groan-ups: https://twitter.com/NamoInExile
MasterLcZ Profile PhotoMasterLcZ Profile Photo
MasterLcZ
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I'm finding it very difficult to watch. He looks drugged.

And the earpiece is very disconcerting.
"Christ, Bette Davis?!?!"
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The hypnotic tie.
"It's a time to hug and weep." "It's GUT-wrenching...," delivered like Chuck Heston at his most overwrought.
On a postive note, his frizz is reminding me I need a haircut.

Okay, I am trying to follow his logic about a free society being a hopeful society and how important it is that there be a free Iraq in "the midddle of the Middle East." Now, the majority of the terrorists in 9/11 were from Saudi Arabia where there is a HUGE number of people who are so disenfranchised that they are devoid of hope and from that came the very people who hijacked those plains into the buildings. What am I missing? I know, you're saying he stayed on point and it didn't matter that he didn't answer questions, papa, but WHY NOT FOR GOODNESS SAKE?
Updated On: 4/13/04 at 11:47 PM
iflitifloat Profile Photoiflitifloat Profile Photo
iflitifloat
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Broadcast News. Holly Hunter feeding William Hurt lines... what a concept.

And really, on The West Wing that tie would NEVER happen.
Sueleen Gay: "Here you go, Bitch, now go make some fukcing lemonade." 10/28/10
orion59 Profile Photoorion59 Profile Photo
orion59
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Ok Papa, I realize you are a Bush supporter but, come on. Even when one supports a president or candidate, one should be objective and realize that not everything the person does is wonderful. I don't think he looked committed and appropraitely concerned. Neither did he appear confident. He stammered, gulped audibly many times, his eyes shifted almost constantly and his body language gave allindications that he was nervous, afraid, uncomfortable....take your pick.

I'm not saying this indicates insincerity or an attempt to cover up anything but, it was clear from the body language that he was not at all at ease or feeling confident.
http://www.danperezgallery.com
papalovesmambo Profile Photopapalovesmambo Profile Photo
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
well, orion, that's a subjective matter. i think that on some questions, yes he did and i admitted as much, at least about one question. but taking the whole press conference into account i think that he achieved his goal with minimal damage to himself. the tone he achieved on most of the "answers" (and i use that term loosely) once he got rolling was confident.

let's face it folks, just like most of the objective commentators said beforehand, if you're a supporter you'll likely see the good things he achieved in this, and if you're an opponent, you'll see the problems. see, this is one reason i'm such a big supporter, he was generous enough to give something to everyone.

i think that you have to judge the performance not by the standards of a president who's telegenic and witty, but rather by the standards of this president. by gw standards he came across better than expected but still flawed. the key thing was that he achieved a seeming honesty and put himself out there to be flayed by the press corps which makes him look open and sympathetic as unlike some of us political junkies, the people in middle america trust the press even less than you guys trust the president.

i give the performance (and that's what it was, let's not kid ourselves that he was out there for any reason other than to help his numbers) a 6.5 out of 10. he could have been better but there was the potential for him to be much, much worse.
r.i.p. marco, my guardian angel.

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective
rlbgbc Profile Photorlbgbc Profile Photo
rlbgbc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"....I see....dead people...."
Mister Matt Profile PhotoMister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
What's the point of a press conference, if you're not going to answer the questions? Why not just give an address? I've never said this before, but I just think GWB is truly an awful President. The first sincerely bad President I can remember. His dad wasn't that great, either, but Little Bush is far worse.
"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
Auggie27
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I'm on the other side of the Grand Canyon from Papa's POV, but I agree with one thing he said: the conference served the deer in the headlights aspect of Bush, as far as his base is concerned. By not answering so many questions directly, he presented himself as a victim of an angry lynch mob, the press corp out to skewer an earnest, impassioned man just doin' his darndest to make some folks free. He used sidestepping, inarticulate babbling, and just plain ignorance of facts to suggest a martyr to the press's torture -- Papa's word "flayed" is perfect.

Now, all he needs is for Mel to make a movie about the last week, and call it The Passion of George Bush. As we've just found out, well done flaying sells, big time.
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I wish he could actually tell us his definition of "freedom" that he kept mentioning. Because it's so nebulous. Does it mean the freedom for WalMart to establish a base in Iraq, in the middle of the middle east?

I think of people who lament the "dumbing down" and lowering of standards in the United States... like Jose does on this board.... I personally think Bush is the literal pinnacle of this phenomenon. I think of all the people who were FREAKED OUT about Clinton and Monica and the message it sends to the children and I wish we, as a nation, could have a discussion about the garbled, ungrammatical message Bush sends every time he opens his mouth. But then again, I happen to think sex is good and mediocrity is not. Bush is dumbing down a culture that was getting pretty far down that slope before he came along.
Updated On: 4/14/04 at 11:15 AM
jrb_actor Profile Photojrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
papa--I remain unconvinced by that last post there--change a few words, and it could be an argument for why we shouldn't be so judgemental of John Stamos in Nine or Melanie Griffiths in Chicago. My point being that we DO have to hold the President up to a standard (not a standard within himself). I could absolutely understand your choosing to vote Republican in November, but I still do not see how anyone could be voting for HIM. He just seems beneath you.
Borstalboy Profile PhotoBorstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Why are the press such pussies? Where were the questions about the economy? Where the hell is that classy old coot Helen Thomas?
"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing. ~ Muhammad Ali
orion59 Profile Photoorion59 Profile Photo
orion59
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
A man died and went to heaven. As he stood in front of Peter at
the Pearly Gates, he saw a huge wall of clocks behind him. He asked,
"What are all those clocks?" St. Peter answered, "Those are
Lie-Clocks. Everyone on earth has a Lie-Clock. Every time you lie the
hands on your clock will move." Oh," said the man, "whose clock is
that?" That's Nelson Mandela's. The hands have never moved, indicating
that he never told a lie." Incredible," said the man. "And whose clock
is that one?" St. Peter responded, "That's Abraham Lincoln's clock. The
hands have moved twice, telling us that Abe told only two lies in his
entire life." Where's Bush's clock?" asked the man. Bush's clock is in
Jesus' office. He's using it as a ceiling fan."
http://www.danperezgallery.com
sabrelady Profile Photosabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I love this so much i am stealing it!!
Words that confuse censors:Fecund,penal,taint, titmouse, cockatoo,coccyx, ballcock, cockeye, prickly,kumquat, titter,cunning linguist, insertion, gobble, guzzle, swallow, manhole, rimshot,ramrod,come, fallacious, lugubrious,rectify,Uranus, angina, paradiddle,spotted dick,dictum, frock,cunctation, engorge,turgid,stiff, bush, uvula, crapulence, masticate, Dick Butkus, gherkin and of course the always bewildering lickety split. As you can see, context is every thing. Chuck Lorre Addendum: 555 382 5968 "Sexarama, Hexarama, Queeriosis, Feariosis!" Alec Baldwin Im going to have to science the shit outta this. The Martian
WindyCityActor Profile PhotoWindyCityActor Profile Photo
WindyCityActor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I have to agree with Matt. Why have a press conference if you aren't really going to answer any questions?! He should have just given a State of the Union Address. At least he would have seemed a bit more in control of the situation.

This "I'm just a good 'ole boy, who loves his country and is misunderstood and flayed by the press" is stomach turning to me.

I don't want a martyr as president. If you are gonna refer to yourself as a "War President," then you have to at least act the role!

Jeez, no wonder the man needs Cheney by his side when he goes before the 9-11 Commission!
MasterLcZ Profile PhotoMasterLcZ Profile Photo
MasterLcZ
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Isn't it funny.... Cheney wasn't there last night.

But that earpiece in Junior's ear sure was!
"Christ, Bette Davis?!?!"
Zola Q. LaPlaya Profile PhotoZola Q. LaPlaya Profile Photo
Zola Q. LaPlaya
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
He was inarticulate and uneasy. If he was supposed to be presenting confidence and a steady hand, he did not achieve that. Read the transcript in the NY Times.

Not everyone thinks it's okay to have a president who cannot construct a sentence or who constantly mispronounces words. Some of us do care about that, and some of us do care about how he answers questions. I was appalled how he thoroughly ducked the question about why he and Cheney had to appear before the 9/11 commission together. The reporter asked twice and twice the President of our United States totally and obviously avoided the question. The guy isn't even artful in his evasion!

This isn't about partisanship and spin (in which some posters here revel); it's about honesty and integrity and intelligence. This President, in his state of the union address, in his interview with Russert on Meet the Press, and in last night's press conference proved he has none of these. His own flunkies and supporters were disavowing him on CNN last night -- in much the same way David Broder, a moderate Republican, did on Meet the Press this weekend.
Stop worrying about what I'm doing -- focus instead on what you're eating.
Updated On: 4/14/04 at 05:05 PM
Auggie27
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Great points, Zola. Yes. Even his evasions were phumphering double-speak. I've been depressed all day over how little was made of his inability to simply take on a question and intelligently ruminate on a given point. People on FOX were complaining that the questions were biased, designed to "humiliate" this President.

Why wasn't he humiliated, coming in? By the 500 people who've died since the "battle" ended? The 70 killed last week while he was in Crawford listening on his truck radio as Condi filibustered? He should be humiliated. He lead us to a shock and awe based video game war that has turned into non-stop visions of burned, hanging bodies, dismembered civilians in shallow graves. And the dark expectation of even more dire doings. Are we to believe that a year from now, out will finally come those flowers for the liberators?

Isn't it startling how little we expect of this man now? Can you imagine a Democratic performance like that one passing muster among Republicans? Imagine Bill Clinton responding to the mistake question with a big day-glo question mark appearing over his head. Did anyone hear him even try to explain what the hell "stay the course" means in Iraq, other than to pour out a timetable that bears no relation to the ground war that will surely make it impossible. And why isn't there OUTRAGE over his use of the word "entity" to describe the blob we'll turn this ravaged land over to?

FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
And of course the pyschologically telling use of the phrase "my government." That I could kinda maybe overlook, but for the life of me I have not been able to figure out what the hades he was talking about when he mentioned "brown people." Does anybody know what he meant?