'Match' not one made in heaven - yahoo.com

macbeth Profile Photomacbeth Profile Photo
macbeth
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Ruffian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
That is an OUCH, but I agree with a lot of it. I love Langella, & he was amusing & touching, but I found the play as a whole very contrived, very slight

Liotta has next to nothing to do.

I was disappointed with it.
johny0828 Profile Photojohny0828 Profile Photo
johny0828
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
i agree with you ruffian, but i kinda enjoyed it. ray liotta was the same character he plays in most of his movies. frank langella was the best part of the show. what is your opinion of the ending?
Ruffian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I think the ending was telegraphed very early in the play. I was not at all surprised, by then I was, frankly...bored. I think Liotta did as well as he could do, I like him ... but the character was so poorly written.....I enjoyed the actors, but not the play. Langella was very good. I am glad I saw HIS performance, but this play was certainly no "FORTUNE"

OK, close "MATCH" & put my Beloved "TABOO" back in the Plymouth....lol
secret-soul Profile Photosecret-soul Profile Photo
secret-soul
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I thought Langella was awesome. But Ray Liotta and Alexandra Neil (understudy to Jane Adams) were not. Liotta played the same character he always played and Neil seemed to me: unimpressive, a little unbalanced, whiney. Liotta was just stock. The character (I agree) had very little to do in the play. We're forced to focus on him because he's one of only 3 characters, but he eventually became an annoiance. Frank Langella, as I said, was amazing, but (and probably because of the director) the character had several moments that were there to say "I'm gay" or "this is how a gay person acts" and those parts distracted me more than anything.
My favorite part of the show was the beginning. Now, the set is AMAZING. it's BRILLIANT. So the second the curtain went up and there's frank langella all I could do is stare at the set open-mouthed. I really liked the beginning segment because it allowed the audience to become familiar and accustomed to the set and surroundings while watching Langella's character (Toby) develop before Mike and Lisa enter. the BEST part about the opening was when langella tastes the doritos and shouts obsenities. My mother was sitting next to me and says: "What did he say? The chips are stale?" and I turned to her and said "No, mom. He said Jesus f*cking christ."
Overall I enjoyed the show. The actors were very nice to the few fans who were outside waiting (I love it when actors bring their own sharpie) and the guy at the door (Dario) was very nice to us while we waited.
:)
laurs
Plince! Plince! Nein! T-Rex!!