Page: 1

Fair and Balanced - GWB

jrb_actor Profile Photojrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Fair and Balanced - GWB#0
Posted: 4/9/04 at 1:59pm
I want to give people a fair chance to communicate here in this thread. I would like CIVIL comments on this thread listing the reasons why one SHOULD vote for George W. Bush. Only positive comments listed here. Let's give the "other side" (since we've apparently become sports teams or characters in a sci fi film) a chance to talk about this subject. Folks who are not Bush supporters may ask CIVIL questions seeking answers about certain issues or further clarification. But, I can not stress enough the importance for both sides to turn off "attack mode" and simply discuss positive elements about one of the candidates.
papalovesmambo Profile Photopapalovesmambo Profile Photo
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: fair and balanced - gwb#1
Posted: 4/9/04 at 2:33pm
while i respect the idea behind the thread, jrb, i would bet that it cannot survive as you intend it. that aside though, i will start off with a few reasons why i intend to vote for george bush and i'll ven do it without resorting to sarcasm.

i think that going into iraq was the right thing to do regradless of whether there were wmd or not and i am convinced that no democrat would have done it. this decision is part of why i will vote bush, even though i have huge problems with some of his decision and positions. i honestly believe that he gives us the best chance to survive. and that's what it is, survival. as much as people make fun of him for being resolute even in the face of overwhelming evidence, that's what we need in my mind. i fear an administration that would show such nuance and worry so much about offending our allies that it became for all intents and purposes impotent.
r.i.p. marco, my guardian angel.

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective
ckeaton Profile Photockeaton Profile Photo
ckeaton
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Fair and Balanced - GWB#2
Posted: 4/9/04 at 2:46pm
I'll dip my toe into this obvious bit of entrapment. I'm sure that many will beat me in public or private about this post:

Social Programs
There will always be societal problems such as poverty and disease. No president, republican or democrat will be able to fix those. Some have ideas we agree with, some don't... this is a fact of life. I personally agree with attempting to stop the problem at it's source... not throwing money at the fire. I think many social programs are wasteful, and with a republican mindset, I think they can be improved. For instance, I support marital incentives (I'm sorry gay folks, because I also support your right to them as well). I think that if there were more happy families, straight or gay, we would have a more balanced society. Things were not like this decades ago when the American family was a more formidable unit.

Economic Policy
I think that President Bush's economic policy will be best for our current economy. (It is turning around, after some very challenging times.) Kerry wants to roll back tax cuts that are driving much of this, and I don't think that increasing tax is the way to help people. Letting the government have more money is a way to get a bigger government, not a way to help people.

(The costs of only 44 out of Kerry’s 85 campaign promises sum up to at least $977 billion over 5 years and $1.9 trillion over 10 years.)

Hearing that a .50 per gallon tax increase on gasoline scares me. The cost of living in that case would greatly increase. I can't afford that, and neither can you.

Personally, since Bush has been in office, I have been able to buy a home (mortgage rates were a challenge to me in the past), find a new job at an expanding company, increase my IRA, and turn a larger tax refund into a fabulous trip to NYC/payoff some debt. I guess my experience has been a blessed one. I can't advocate fixing something that I can't see as being broken. I realize that this isn't the case for all.

Defense
Terrorists will continue to attack us, regardless of our president. I think that we are safer with the Bush administration at the helm. I am willing to yield to some aspects of the Patriot Act if it means that even one life has been saved. If you are a law-abiding citizen, you shouldn't fear anything in its text. Civil liberties are important, yes... but staying alive is too. (not the Bee-Gee's version though)

I think that we need to not abandon the Iraqi's in their plight. The great majority of the population was living in fear of a gas-wielding madman for too long. Our coalition has liberated them from this, but there are many who would like to take up the previous administrations tryannical rule. We need to help stabilize the region, so that the average citizen in Iraq is not subjected to the misery and fear that they were (are) feeling. We must finish what we have started. (I have family serving in Iraq, that I want home. However, I respect what they are doing, and believe that it is very important for our world). If we abandon the region now, hatred of the U.S. will grow and flame out of control. Leaving will not generate love on our behalf either.

These are but a few examples. There are several issues that the Bush-Cheney campaign are touting that I don't agree with as well. But to choose between a waffling, say what you want to hear, two-faced New England liberal :: and what some would characterize as a :: war-mongering, trigger-happy, corporate lapdog... I choose the guy that will establish a conistent policy, who will protect us, who will work to make our economy stronger by supporting our businesses.

I am aware all of my points can be countered. They are simply my beliefs.

Since you asked.
Hamlet's father.
Updated On: 4/9/04 at 02:46 PM
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: Fair and Balanced - GWB#3
Posted: 4/11/04 at 4:22pm
Question: Are you voting for Bush or for the Republican candidate?
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: fair and balanced - gwb #4
Posted: 4/11/04 at 6:11pm
bush

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective
HunterFosterIsMyGod Profile PhotoHunterFosterIsMyGod Profile Photo
HunterFosterIsMyGod
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: re: fair and balanced - gwb#5
Posted: 4/11/04 at 6:23pm
may we be sarcastic?
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: fair and balanced - gwb#6
Posted: 4/11/04 at 7:54pm
did ya read the first post, hfimg? i think jrb is going for civil dialogue in this one thread. there are plenty of venues for sarcasm elsewhere. but, jrb, it's your call, sarcasm?

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: re: fair and balanced - gwb#7
Posted: 4/11/04 at 8:45pm
well, it would prob be a fun sarcasm lol! But, no, I want civil honesty here.

So I elaborate: You like Bush, papa? You think he is more than a figurehead, but a smart, thinking man? (I ask that with absolute sincerety--as I would about any leader).
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
he ain't no einstein, that's fo sho! but i think he's smart enough to know what he doesn't know and rely on his instincts to lead him in the right direction. he's had a few missteps when chosing those around him. but i think that most administrations have had missteps, but these being as they were in a time of war, were made much more glaring. i don't think he's nearly as dumb as he's made out to be. i think that he's not a comfortable public speaker, but when he's really had to be good, like after 9/11, he was. he was good enough to argue al gore to a draw in their debate and to hold his own with ann richards which, baby, is no mean feat! i believe that he is more than a figurehead. he's no rhodes scholar, but then not many of our presidents have been.

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort