Page: 1

How is the HAIRSPRAY tour?

GottaGimmick
Understudy
Understudy
How is the HAIRSPRAY tour?#0
Posted: 4/8/04 at 5:28pm
I have not seen the broadway one so I will not be able to compare... But how is the tour? I plan on seeing it next month.
StraightToHeaven
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: How is the HAIRSPRAY tour?#1
Posted: 4/8/04 at 5:38pm
The tour is great! My personal favorites were Keala Settle as Tracy, Jordan Ballard as Amber and Sandra Denise as Penny. I'm sure you'll have a great time!
BroadwayKate
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: re: How is the HAIRSPRAY tour?#2
Posted: 4/8/04 at 7:05pm
I LOVE AUSTIN MILLER!!! As someone who was a huge fan of Matt's performance....Austin was creative and sexy! I loved his performance! I promise this show will be worth your money!

kate
say the word...and i just might listen...
CATSNYrevival Profile PhotoCATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: How is the HAIRSPRAY tour?#3
Posted: 4/9/04 at 4:22am
How's Bruce Vilanch as Edna?
ckeaton Profile Photockeaton Profile Photo
ckeaton
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I thought Bruce was hilarious. I was a little worried about how he would stack up compared to Harvey, but I wasn't let down. Both men bring their own take on Edna, unique of course, but both excellent. Bruce colored outside of the lines a bit more, I think his Edna was a bit more edgy. (A gift of taking on an established role)

I'm not entirely sure how he does his local research, but his 'ad-libs' during "Timeless to Me" are fantastic. Some reviewer mentioned once that the local references are too much of a 4th Wall violation. Personally, I think that this specific instance a delightful way to personalize the show for a local crowd.

All told, he's great! A fantastic take on a great show.
Hamlet's father.
Updated On: 4/9/04 at 10:20 AM
DottieD'Luscia Profile PhotoDottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I've seen both the tour and broadway productions twice and to be honest with you, I preferred the tour. I'm excited that Carly Jibson is going to Broadway where she belongs.
Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany
DangerousTalent
Swing
Swing
re: How is the HAIRSPRAY tour?#6
Posted: 4/9/04 at 4:30pm
The tour is AWESOME! Keala Settle is just wonderful as Tracy, Bruce Vilanch was fantastic as Edna... the whole thing was very well put together. I loved Penny as well, she was precious & so funny.

Always,
Abby
wildparty20 Profile Photowildparty20 Profile Photo
wildparty20
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: re: How is the HAIRSPRAY tour?#7
Posted: 4/9/04 at 8:01pm
I saw the tour in Chicago and I loved it. I'm a little partial since a friend of mine is in the cast, but I thought that Carly was better than MJW. However, she's leaving the show soon. My friend in the show said that the girl taking over Tracy is also very good. The chorus is energetic, Austin is fun and sexy, and the supporting roles are quirky and right on. I didn't like Bruce as much as Harvey. The ad-libs in Timeless To Me were funny, but took me completly out of the show. Although, I suppose it does work for that number. My friend said that Bruce tries different things out at every city and the big laughs stay and he searches for new ones after the duds. He says you never know what he's going to say (the actor playing Tracy's dad broke when I saw the show). I think Harvey brings a humanity and femininity to the role that Bruce doesn't. With that said, the sets are the same, except for a house missing in the opening number, and the show is still as fun as ever. You won't be wasting your money!
From the evil she done Lord Set her free, Set her free, Set me free Don't let my sorrow Make evil of me