Page: 1

Broadway Videos

Mr Roxy Profile PhotoMr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Broadway Videos#0
Posted: 4/7/04 at 8:35pm
Just started to watch Broadway Lost treasures & Ed Sullivan . All I can say is that if they ever release all the Ed Sullivan performances and/or the Tony Award numbers from the Alexander Cohen era , I am in big trouble as I would have to buy them all.
Poster Emeritus
Updated On: 4/7/04 at 08:35 PM
Rob Profile PhotoRob Profile Photo
Rob
Team BWW
Team BWW
re: Broadway Videos#1
Posted: 4/7/04 at 8:58pm
Broadway Lost Treasures is great... Haven't seen the Ed Sullivan DVD yet, though I think it's on one of my Amazon.com wish lists. re: Broadway Videos
liveforeverybreath Profile Photoliveforeverybreath Profile Photo
liveforeverybreath
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: re: Broadway Videos#2
Posted: 4/7/04 at 9:08pm
I think that all shows should make video's before the close, like cats.
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: Broadway Videos#3
Posted: 4/7/04 at 9:10pm
Of all the ALW shows to video. Why not Sunset BLVD or POTO ?
Poster Emeritus
Updated On: 4/7/04 at 09:10 PM
CapnHook Profile PhotoCapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: re: Broadway Videos#4
Posted: 4/7/04 at 9:15pm
All shows are videotaped, but stored in a museum without the intention (that we know of) to be released.

They really should experiment. Disney should release BEAUTY AND THE BEAST onto DVD and see if ticket sales fall. It wouldn't really hurt, BATB was released as an animated film already, and the OBC did a special event with BEAUTY AND THE BEST: ON ICE where they sang and ice skaters such as Scott Hamilton danced to them, dressed as the characters.

Producers would then see that it pays to release their shows on DVD (though I agree this is not true in all cases).
"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: re: re: Broadway Videos#5
Posted: 4/7/04 at 9:17pm
I really want to see, from Ed Sullivan , the number "Play Ball With The Lord" from the 60's Gantry
Poster Emeritus
HunterFosterIsMyGod Profile PhotoHunterFosterIsMyGod Profile Photo
HunterFosterIsMyGod
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: re: re: re: re: re: Broadway Videos#6
Posted: 4/7/04 at 9:22pm
agreed, LFEB.
beacon1
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Are all shows videotaped, really? Is it in such a format that it truly could be shown like on PBS or something?
Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket?

Patrick Wilson Fans --New "UnOfficial Fan Site". Come check us out!

Patrick Wilson Yahoo Group

Patrick Wilson Facebook Fan Page

nystateomind04 Profile Photonystateomind04 Profile Photo
nystateomind04
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
im sure most of you know, but in case anyone didnt, there is a video/dvd called "broadways lost treasures" which showcases clips from a lot of performances which were not previously released. it has betty buckly as grzabella and she is amazing, i like her a lot more than elain page.
Gothampc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Many shows do not release videos because they are hard to produce. First of all you have to get rights clearances from everyone involved in the show. If you shoot the show live, you have to make several tapings in order to ensure getting the proper closeups and angles. Many actors can't fit it into their schedule to do a studio version like Oklahoma did.

The Library of Performing Arts in New York tapes almost every show on Broadway and several off-Broadway and regional productions. But the quality is not intended to be for professional release. The Library also has an agreement that these tapes will not be released for profit. Although as much as the Library crabs about not having any money, maybe they should plan to tape a show and release it for public sale.
If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
joeyjoe Profile Photojoeyjoe Profile Photo
joeyjoe
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
i, for one, would love Love LOVE to see the original production of Follies!
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
1. I saw it & it was great
2. I doubt it was ever taped as taping was not in vogue than

The real reason is that every member of every union , actors, stagehands you name it plus the creative team would have to be paid so the cost of the tape would have to be astronmical
Poster Emeritus
Updated On: 4/8/04 at 07:40 PM
Dollypop
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
On two different programs, the ED SULLIVAN SHOW featured Ginger Rogers and Pearl Bailey singing fully staged renditions of "Before The Parade Passes By" from TWHM. How I wish they'd be relased on video!
"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)
BoxOfficeJon Profile PhotoBoxOfficeJon Profile Photo
BoxOfficeJon
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I still think that we should push to have ROSIE release the broadway shows on her show as a DVD.
And I thought thtey were supposed to have a pbs showing of the BIG RIVER revival

and why have they not released
AINT MISBEHAVIN'
or
SOPHISTOCATED LADIES
they both were videotaped and aired....
oh yeah and the NY OPERA of A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC
...this is wrong on so many levels... Diane Lane in "Must Love Dogs" "If you have poo, now is the time to fling it" -- The Monkey's from Madagascar
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Add to the List

I D I Do with Hal Linden & Lee Remick - It was on video & Long out of print. I copied it way back when & now have perserved it on DVD
Poster Emeritus
CATSNYrevival Profile PhotoCATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
PBS did THE WOMEN too! I wish they'd put that on DVD I only caught act two... re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Broadway Videos and CRAZY FOR YOU!!! I only saw act two and it pisses me off, cuz' that's one of my favorites. (Anyone have a copy? re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Broadway Videos ) I did tape CONTACT, though. That was really cool. I would never pay $75 to see that show, but I'm glad I got to see it. It was really nice.
Updated On: 4/9/04 at 06:41 PM
CATSNYrevival
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Having seen clips of AVENUE Q on VH1 I think it would be really cool on video/DVD. It has a DVD look to it....
CATSNYrevival
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
And ASSASSINS! It would be really cool if they film it for PBS. It's visually very interesting.