Page: 1

The Secret Window

The Secret Window#0
Posted: 3/13/04 at 3:11pm
Anyone gonna see The Secret Window??

I'm reading it right now, it's really creepy, I can't wait to see the film...

and to think, i didnt know it was based on a stephen king novella when i first saw the preview!!
Updated On: 3/13/04 at 03:11 PM

re: The Secret Window#1
Posted: 3/14/04 at 11:21am
i'm gonna check it out, hopefully, but still lemme know what you all think.

and is anyone going to see it cuz it looks good, or just cuz depp's in it.
redhotinnyc2 Profile Photoredhotinnyc2 Profile Photo
redhotinnyc2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: The Secret Window#2
Posted: 3/15/04 at 9:29am
I can't wait to hear what you think of it - I want to see it myself - to give Mr. King another try - lately his stuff has been lacking and not up to what he used to write in the '70s and '80s. But I figure, if Johnny Depp signed on to the project - it must have something going for it.
"I don't really get the ending,all i can go with is when after several months,Judith saw Pat sang,and later she kissed him on the toilet,after that the story back to where Pat went down from the stage after he'd sung,and he went to the italian lady.I just don't get it,what Judith exatcly meant when he kissed Pat that she had seen,and did Pat end up together with The Italian Lady?Please help me,thank u very much!" Quote from someone on IMDB in reference to a movie he/she didn't understand. Such grammar!
orion59 Profile Photoorion59 Profile Photo
orion59
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: The Secret Window#3
Posted: 3/15/04 at 9:44am
I'm looking forward to seeing it as soon as I get the time to do so. I love Stephen King, particularly his earlier work. Although adaptations of his books and stories into movies haven't always been the best. This movie looks pretty good judging from the trailers. Let us know what you think after seeing it.
http://www.danperezgallery.com
robyn525600
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: re: re: re: The Secret Window#4
Posted: 3/15/04 at 10:30am
I saw it and I really liked it. I never read the book so it was all new to me and Depp did a great job. Good suspense movie . . .
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away."
orion59
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: re: re: The Secret Window#5
Posted: 3/15/04 at 11:45am
last week, in anticipation of the opening of Secret Window, MSn did an item on the 5 best and 5 worst SK movies which was pretty interesting. I wonder where Secret Window would fall on those lists in the future
Mister Matt Profile PhotoMister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: re: re: re: The Secret Window#6
Posted: 3/15/04 at 4:54pm
I would also like to see that article. I'm wondering how The Shining fits into that list. It was a great film by itself, but really sucked when compared to the novel. I'm excited to see Secret Window. I read the story years ago and remember that it was one of his better short subjects.

As far as the film adaptations are concerned, I think the best with regards to film quality AND adaptation are:

The Shawshank Redemption
The Green Mile
Stand By Me
Dolores Claiborn
Misery
"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
i read the novella
and saw the film

the film's not too shabby, some nice intense moments!
don't wanna say too much, dont wanna spoil it!
orion59
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Matt, You can probably find it archived on the msn site by doing a search under their articles for Stephen King. I would find it and put a link here but, don't have time right now. Gotta run off to a rehearsal.
bernadette88
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I thought the movie was great! Some jumpy moments, but altogether it was pretty twisted...but very cool!:)
JohnPopa Profile PhotoJohnPopa Profile Photo
JohnPopa
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The best movie based on a King property is 'Carrie.'

I don't mind the major format change from the book and it perfectly captures the tragedy of the story.

And it's a horror movie built around ONE horrific event, not an endless parade of victims.
Broadwaylady Profile PhotoBroadwaylady Profile Photo
Broadwaylady
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Mister Matt, I agree with all your movie adaptations from the book. Usually, his books are so much better. I would like to add Dead Zone.

I also liked his earlier works better than the ones in the 90's. I particularly like Salem's Lot, Carrie and Pet Cemetery.

They republished Four Past Midnight in paperback with the four novellas in it. I am now re-reading The Secret Garden. I did see the movie and enjoyed it. Well, I am both a Stephen King fan and a Johnny Depp fan.
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by moments that take our breath away." "Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain."
popcultureboy Profile Photopopcultureboy Profile Photo
popcultureboy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: The Secret Window#12
Posted: 3/16/04 at 8:51am
The novella scared the living bejeesus out of me so I am intrigued to see the film. However, the original title of the novella is Secret Window, Secret Garden and it has very specific reasons for being called that. Judging from the trailer, they seem to have altered all those reasons and the shortened title now seems to refer to something else altogether. Anyone who has read it and seen it care to enlighten me?
Nothing precious, plain to see, don't make a fuss over me. Not loud, not soft, but somewhere inbetween. Say sorry, just let it be the word you mean.
Dollypop
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: The Secret Window#13
Posted: 3/16/04 at 11:09am
If you look out the secret window, will you see the Secret Garden?
"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)
JohnPopa Profile PhotoJohnPopa Profile Photo
JohnPopa
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: The Secret Window#14
Posted: 3/16/04 at 11:20am
Acatually isn't the original novella titled 'Secret Window, Secret Garden?'
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: re: The Secret Window#15
Posted: 3/16/04 at 1:36pm
yes it is and it's still the title for the book within the film as well.
Mister Matt Profile PhotoMister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: re: re: The Secret Window#16
Posted: 3/16/04 at 2:17pm
Carrie, like The Shining, I thought was a very good film, but not well-adapted from the novel. The novel was not really horror at all, but more psychologically suspenseful. The television movie tried to be closer to the text, but it was just as far off, if not more, than the original film.
"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
ckeaton Profile Photockeaton Profile Photo
ckeaton
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: re: re: re: The Secret Window#17
Posted: 3/17/04 at 10:54am
I enjoyed 'Secret Window' a great deal.
I was a very satisfying ending... and the suspense was great... I want one of those hats for Halloween...
Hamlet's father.
WestEndBird Profile PhotoWestEndBird Profile Photo
WestEndBird
Stand-by
Stand-by
I saw Secret Window yesterday and was quite entranced by Johnny (as I usually am...one beautiful man...) and was very impressed with his acting ability...His hair was great..I chuckled a couple times at it, when he actually combed it I was like...goodness I would love to run my fingers right through it...The ending was INSANE..I was quite impressed...you think you know but you have NO IDEA!!! That hat will become a legend..I bet it will show up in a Planet Hollywood somewhere or something cool like that.
"Even if I could let you see me cry you would never understand what I was feeling inside, you see it and use it but dont believe in it..."