Page: 1

WICKED SONG LIST

CATSNYrevival Profile PhotoCATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
WICKED SONG LIST#0
Posted: 3/6/04 at 2:30am
I haven’t seen WICKED yet, but after listening to the CD again I have a question. Is it just me or does the song list look a little barren??? Some of the songs seem like they could have separate names or they have different sections to them which would call for a “/” and another song title; like is done with all kinds of song lists for different shows. What do you guys think? Like I said I haven’t seen the show so I won’t be able to include any short reprises or refrains that weren’t recorded or the overutre or enter’acte (if the show has ‘em.) but I think the song list should look a little something like this...

ACT I
Prologue: "Good News"
"Let Us Be Glad"
"No One Mourns the Wicked"
"Dear Old Shiz"
"The Wizard and I" / "Unlimited"
"What Is This Feeling?" / “Loathing”
"Something Bad"
"Dancing Through Life" / “We Deserve Each Other”
"Popular"
"I’m Not That Girl"
"One Short Day" / "Wiz-O-Mania"
"A Sentimental Man"
"I Hope You’re Happy"
"Unlimited" (reprise)
"Defying Gravity"

ACT II
"No One Mourns the Wicked" (reprise)
"Thank Goodness"
"I Couldn’t Be Happier"
* "The Wicked Witch of the East"
"Wonderful"
"I’m Not That Girl" (Glinda’s reprise)
"As Long As You’re Mine"
"No Good Deed"
"The March of the Witch Hunters"
"For Good"
Finale Part I: "Good News" (reprise) ("No One Mourns the Wicked")
Finale Part II: "For Good" (reprise)
*Bows*

* not recorded

But, hey I’m the first one to admit that I look into things WAY too much. What dose the song list in the Playbill look like as aposed to the list on the CD???
NYCbabe3789 Profile PhotoNYCbabe3789 Profile Photo
NYCbabe3789
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: WICKED SONG LIST#1
Posted: 3/6/04 at 1:04pm
"Good News"
"Let Us Be Glad"

In the show, these songs are all strung together, so it would not make sense to record them separately.

"What Is This Feeling?" / “Loathing”

You would certainly think the song should be called "Loathing," but I think it's called "What is this Feeling?" because it is so much funnier to hear the song not knowing what the *feeling* is going to be.

"Dancing Through Life" / “We Deserve Each Other”

I have to agree with you here. These are two totally different songs, and I think while they need to be contained in the same song, it should have a (/) title.

"I Hope You’re Happy"
"Unlimited" (reprise)
"Defying Gravity"

Again, these songs are too close together in the show with pretty much no dialogue in between. Defying Gravity comes before Unlimited, then comes back after, so you would have to say "Defying Gravity," "Unlimited," and "Defying Gravity, rep" which is unneccessarily drawn out.

"Finale Part I: "Good News" (reprise) ("No One Mourns the Wicked")
Finale Part II: "For Good" (reprise)
*Bows*"

The Finale usually runs different songs from the show together...many shows do this, so instead of having a reprise of something it is called "The Finale" because that's what it is. It's can be more than one song contained in one, and it most often has dialogue in it as well. There's no need to have more than one Finale to represent the different songs that have been incorporated into it.
Bret Profile PhotoBret Profile Photo
Bret
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: re: WICKED SONG LIST#2
Posted: 3/6/04 at 2:21pm
"The Wizard and I" / "Unlimited"

From a musical standpoint, unlimited is not a seperate track so to speak. It is just the "B" section of the number.
"Wherever you go... I'll be right there. When you get your own private kick in the ass, just remember: it's a present from me to you." Rose's dying words to Louise
CATSNYrevival
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: WICKED SONG LIST#3
Posted: 3/6/04 at 2:27pm
Well, I wasn't suggesting that they be recorded separately I was just saying that it would be nice to have a more detailed song list. "Thank Goodness" is really a strange way of hiding "I Couldn't Be Happier". In fact "I Couldn't Be Happier" is really the stand out song on that track so why it is even called "Thank Goodness" I don't even understand. "Thank Goodness" is just a chorus behind "I Couldn't Be Happier". And what about some of my questions?? does the show have an overture or entr'acte or any other songs that weren't recorded???
NYCbabe3789
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: re: WICKED SONG LIST#4
Posted: 3/6/04 at 5:43pm
Looking at my playbill, the only difference between the song list on the CD and in the show is "The Wicked Witch of the East" and in the beginning of the second act, there are seperate songs: "No one Mourns the Wicked, rep" and "Thank Goodness." There's also a very short "Wizard and I" reprise in Act 1 but it's only a couple lines so it's not even listed in the playbill.
wickedfan Profile Photowickedfan Profile Photo
wickedfan
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: re: re: WICKED SONG LIST#5
Posted: 3/6/04 at 5:59pm
I'd have to say that the ones that should be retitled are "Good News/No one Mourns the Wicked", i say this because there is over 2 minutes of "Good News" and "Let us be Glad"
another one would be "Dancing through life/ We deserve each other" then "I hope you're happy/Defying Gravity". "Thank Goodness" should be changed to "I Couldn't Be Happier", I think originally that was the original title of the song. because when the website came out, instead of "Thank Goodness" it said "I Couldn't be Happier" Everything else is fine.
"Sing the words, Patti!!!!" Stephen Sondheim to Patti LuPone.
CATSNYrevival
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

There's also a very short "Wizard and I" reprise in Act 1 but it's only a couple lines so it's not even listed in the playbill.

THAT'S THE KIND OF STUFF I WANT TO KNOW! When does that reprise take place???
Updated On: 3/6/04 at 08:22 PM
NYCbabe3789
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
SPOILERS....

Right after Madame Morrible tells Elphaba how she's off to meet the Wizard (after I'm Not That Girl) Elphaba sings "And there we'll finally be, the Wizard and I..." then Glinda enters and the next scene starts. It's so short they don't list it in the playbill and CERTAINLY don't record it for the CD.
wickedfan
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
not to mention a tiny reprise of "Sentimental Man", and sort of a reprise of "No one Mourns the Wicked" in the end. and no, I'm not talking about the finale. sort of a flashback audio moment. for those who have seen the show, you know what im talking about right?
NYCbabe3789
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
SPOILERS!!!!!!!!....SPOILERS!!! DO NOT READ BELOW UNLESS YOU WISH FOR THE SHOW TO BE COMPLETELY RUINED FOR YOU!!! LOOK AWAY!

SPOILERS!

AHHH THEY'RE COMING!!!....

"not to mention a tiny reprise of "Sentimental Man", and sort of a reprise of "No one Mourns the Wicked" in the end. and no, I'm not talking about the finale."

I forgot about that...when the Wizard realizes he was Elphaba's father, he sings "I am a sentimental man, who always longed to be a father..." Also, when Glinda gets in her bubble, about to address the Ozians, you can see their shadows dancing backstage and they sing "Good News! She's dead!...etc..." Good point I'd forgotten.
Updated On: 3/6/04 at 10:25 PM
wickedfan
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
SHHHHH! EDIT THAT FOR THOSE WHO HAVENT SEEN THE SHOW YET!
Updated On: 3/6/04 at 10:28 PM
NYCbabe3789
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I made it quite clear there are spoilers in that post. :) Hopefully I haven't ruined it for anyone.
Updated On: 3/6/04 at 11:19 PM
CATSNYrevival
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
So why then did they not record "The Wicked Witch of the East"? Did they not want to spoil it??? What about the people (like me) who'll never be able to see the show???
NYCbabe3789
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I think another reason they didn't record "The Wicked Witch of the East" is because it's not a real song. It is a scene with a lot of dialogue and singing here and there. It would've been very difficult to record for the CD.
CATSNYrevival
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Okay so how's this, then....

Act One
"Good News" / "Let Us Be Glad"
"Dear Old Shiz"
"The Wizard and I"
"What is This Feeling?"
"Something Bad"
"Dancing Through Life" / "We Deserve Each Other"
"Popular"
"I'm Not That Girl"
"Dear Old Shiz" (mourner's reprise)
"The Wizard and I" (reprise)
"One Short Day" / "Wiz-O-Mania"
"A Sentimental Man"
"I Hope You’re Happy"
"Defying Gravity"

Act Two
"Thank Goodness"
"I Couldn't Be Happier"
"The Wicked Witch of the East"
"We Deserve Each Other" (reprise)
"Wonderful"
"I'm Not That Girl" (Glinda's reprise)
"As Long As You're Mine"
"No Good Deed"
"March of the Witch Hunters"
"For Good"
"A Sentimental Man" (reprise)
"Finale"
Updated On: 3/15/04 at 09:33 PM
CATSNYrevival
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
What about an overture or entr'acte? Were they not recorded or does Wicked not have them.....
NYCbabe3789
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
All that there is of an overture in Wicked in Act 1/2 is on the CD. Not much.
sweeedboy
Stand-by
Stand-by
I think the song is called 'Thank Goodness' to further the theme of wickedness vs good... and to further promote Glinda's character. You can take the phrase to mean "thank GOODness" instead of "well at least that happend or we would be screwed."
I think its more a testiment to good and to show how the ozians love glinda and that she embodies good. I hope that made sense
nystateomind04 Profile Photonystateomind04 Profile Photo
nystateomind04
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
i think so. how thoughtful. lol