Page: 1

Economy continues to disappoint....

ErikJ972 Profile PhotoErikJ972 Profile Photo
ErikJ972
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Economy continues to disappoint....#0
Posted: 3/5/04 at 6:34pm
According to the report released today...unemployment holds steady at 5.6% and only created 21,000 new jobs....not a good start to the amount of jobs Bush predicted his administration would create this year.
iflitifloat Profile Photoiflitifloat Profile Photo
iflitifloat
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Economy continues to disappoint....#1
Posted: 3/5/04 at 6:37pm
And a lot of those jobs yield paychecks that one can't live on and have no health care benefits attached.
Sueleen Gay: "Here you go, Bitch, now go make some fukcing lemonade." 10/28/10
Gothampc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Those unemployment numbers are way off. They are much too low. They don't take into consideration people that are underemployed such as temp workers.
If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
Corine2 Profile PhotoCorine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I think we are in a depression. It is really hard to find a decent job.
papalovesmambo Profile Photopapalovesmambo Profile Photo
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
a depression would require a tensy bit more than it being difficult to find a "decent" job. but let's just toss around words regardless of their meanings.
r.i.p. marco, my guardian angel.

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective
Auggie27 Profile PhotoAuggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Isn't the biggest issue here the difference between the rather arrogant projection and actual jobs? Would the backlash be as big if the boasting hadn't created a yardstick? Attaching a quantifiable number to job growth is political suicide. But I'm not so naive as to believe a president can single-handedly turn around a job outlook. The factors contributing to the job erosion are complex, and certainly aren't all White House strategy or policy-dictated. Yet in a world where perception is everything, the philosophy from the conservative base in power -- tax reduction imbalanced toward top earners, corporation benefitting deregulation, no movement on health care insurance crises -- creates the impression of indifference toward the "little people."

These numbers came out on the day of Martha's verdict. Some juror was particulary interested in "sending a message" re Martha's arrogance. Looking at all the news as part of a bigger picture ... I wonder if there's been a sea change. No matter what Bush does, he is perceived to be part of an elitest mindset that's at best oblivious to the hardships of the struggling lower middle class. As a Democrat who wants him gone, I'm not defending this man -- but from a sociological perspective, I think the backlash is bigger than the divisive politics. The culture is losing its patience with the chasm between have and have nots (don't have stats available, but I read recently that the diff is bigger than ever). That chasm isn't easily fixed by either party, but in a world where perception rules, the "compassion" seems too lacking among this band of conservatives. And when you add Greenspan's remarks about SS -- only a week ago -- though only one opinion, there's a scary perception that this flavor of compassion may very well run out all together in the future.
"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling
Updated On: 3/6/04 at 12:34 PM
papalovesmambo Profile Photopapalovesmambo Profile Photo
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
the thing is that it's not just the white house that was expecting better numbers. i watched two economists last night on the newshour talk about the fact that everyone and all of the indicators pointed to better job growth. they pretty much came to the conclusion that we are seeing a new trend that defies accepted logic. all, and i mean all, of the leading economic indicators have been pointing at job growth, and it just is not happening. the worrisome thing is that they as yet had no explanation. these were non-partisan sources who were saying that it could bounce back in a huge way next month, or that we are seeing a new economic reality that has yet to be quantified.
r.i.p. marco, my guardian angel.

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective