Page: 1

City of Chicago Wins 2006 Gay Games

WindyCityActor Profile PhotoWindyCityActor Profile Photo
WindyCityActor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
City of Chicago Wins 2006 Gay Games#0
Posted: 3/2/04 at 9:18pm
Hmmm...I wonder if I can have my wedding planned by then!

Chicago wins 2006 Gay Games
From the Crain's Chicago Business Newsroom
Event forecast to draw 20,000 athletes, $50 mil.
March 02 15:55:00, 2004
By Kelly Quigley
-----
Chicago on Tuesday was selected to host the Gay Games VII, an
Olympic-style event that promotes athleticism and camaraderie among the nation's gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender communities.

The event's San Francisco-based governing body, the Federation of Gay Games, announced its decision Tuesday morning. Los Angeles was the runner-up.

The Gay Games will be held in Chicago in the summer of 2006, thanks to the $6.1-million proposal crafted by Chicago Games Inc., a local organization devoted to luring the games here. Chicago Games must work out licensing issues with the federation before it can begin planning for the event in earnest.

Chicago Games estimates the event can generate more than $50 million in revenue for the city. The games are expected to bring in as many 20,000 participants.

"Chicago Games Inc. put together an extraordinary proposal that
demonstrates significant community support, a sound financial plan and an international vision for Gay Games VII," federation Co-president Kathleen Webster said in a statement.

Federation Co-president Roberto Mantaci said the Gay Games spotlights cultural diversity of the host city, but is first and foremost about sports.

"A Gay Games that runs the sports well and provides a chance for every participant to do his or her personal best will be true to the founding principles of Gay Games I in 1982," he said in a statement.

The last Gay Games was held in Sydney, Australia, in 2002, and drew about 11,000 participants. The quadrennial event was launched in 1982.

Chicago Games said it would hold a public victory party at 5:30 p.m. Tuesday at Gentry, a cabaret club at 440 N. State St.

"With Chicago's amazing lakefront, gorgeous skyline, world-class sports facilities, strong LGBT community and renowned sports fans, we believe there is no better place than Chicago to welcome Gay Games participants in 2006," Chicago Games said in a statement.

Calls to the federation and Chicago Games were not immediately returned.
Mister Matt Profile PhotoMister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: City of Chicago Wins 2006 Gay Games#1
Posted: 3/3/04 at 1:04pm
I've never seen much on the Gay Games other than a cap a friend gave me from the Amsterdam Games. Is it really like an athletic event, or just another excuse for a circuit party? There's only so much techno and Stepford Queen clones I can take.
"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
WindyCityActor Profile PhotoWindyCityActor Profile Photo
WindyCityActor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
My partner and I went to the Gay Games in Sydney.

There's a lot of everything....cultural events, the usual sporting events as well as some others (who even thought Bridge and Chess would be sporting events).

Her are some of the categories:

Aerobics
Badminton
Basketball
Biathlon
Billiards
Bowling
Cycling
Diving
Figure Skating
Flag Football
Golf
Hockey
Inline Skating
Judo
Marathon
Martial Arts
Physique
Power Lifting
Racquet
Soccer
Softball
Sport's Climbing
Squash
Swimming
Swimming - Relays
Swimming - Alternate
Table Tennis
Tennis
Track - Men's
Track - Women's
Volleyball
Water Polo
Wrestling

And there are some "Circuit Party" type of venues...but that doesn't dominate the event.
Mister Matt Profile PhotoMister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Hmmmm....

I'll ask Jarico if he wants to go. It depends on who is playing at Ravinia that year.
"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian