Page: 1

Once On This Island!

Princess MimiChica Profile PhotoPrincess MimiChica Profile Photo
Princess MimiChica
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Once On This Island!#0
Posted: 2/27/04 at 10:44pm
Wow, I just saw a production of this and i'm amazed!!! I really thought I hated ALL musicals by Ahrens and Flaherty, but, this is superb!!! Great, fun music. I was crying at the end but the nI was smiling and laughing too! WHY isn't this on Broadway now!?!?
I think AIDA has just been replaced on my list of favorite musicals....
DivaMommy
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Once On This Island!#1
Posted: 2/28/04 at 3:11am
Yeah for you MimiChica! I think Once On This Island is one of the best kept secrets of the Musical Theatre! I just did a production last fall where I played Andrea and my husband was Papa Ge. It was the best experience I've ever had in the theatre, and I don't know if it will ever be duplicated.
...and your children start to leave you from the moment they are born.
Princess MimiChica
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: re: Once On This Island!#2
Posted: 2/28/04 at 4:21pm
thankks for the reply, divamommy! you're right, this show really IS underrated! 58 views and only 1 reply? hmm...=)

I'll never understand how this show can be so amazing, and yet anything else written by Ahrens and Flaherty seems so deviod of soul and emtion....
Mister Matt Profile PhotoMister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: Once On This Island!#3
Posted: 2/28/04 at 4:32pm
I saw the national tour of Once on This Island and was blown away. It was so brilliantly and economically staged. One of the most emotionally moving shows I've ever seen. It will always be in my top ten. Absolutely underrated and deserves a revival. I think it is Ahrens and Flaherty's finest work. For a bit of fun, check out Lucky Stiff. It's a silly musical farce, but the recording is so much fun. Mary Testa's work on the recording alone is worth the price of the CD.
"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
Menken Fan Profile PhotoMenken Fan Profile Photo
Menken Fan
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: re: re: re: Once On This Island!#4
Posted: 2/28/04 at 5:05pm
Once on This Island is terrific. I saw the London production five or six years ago, and they had the whole theater done up with the island theme. What a great show! But then, I'm a big fan of the songs for Ragtime, Seussical, My Favorite Year, Lucky Stiff and A Man of No Importance. Even the movie Anastasia.

There are two cut songs from Once on This Island on the Lost in Boston CD's too.

And Mary Testa rocks.
StrictlyShowtunes
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: re: re: re: re: Once On This Island!#5
Posted: 2/28/04 at 9:02pm
Oh, the "Once on This Island" score is so beautiful. I've only seen high school productions, but I'd love to see it come back to B'way. MimiChica, get the OBC and the London cast recordings--Asaka's voice on the London recording, but the OBC orchestrations are better. And no one can compare to La Chanze. Still, it's really neat to compare the two--and how can you have too much "Isalnd" ?
There are glasses to raise in the praise of survivin' the day
Princess MimiChica
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
oh my gosh, I didn't know these guys wrote the music for Anastasia!!! I absoultely LOVE that cd!!! Wow, this really opened my eyes. I really dislike My Favorite Year, Seussical, ect. but, these two are obviously great songwriters =)

StrictlyShowtunes, i was trying to decide which version i should own, but you're right, why chose!?! =)
Dollypop
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Oh dear! I thought this was a musical about Corine and her iguanas.
"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)
BoxOfficeJon Profile PhotoBoxOfficeJon Profile Photo
BoxOfficeJon
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Once on this Island....
What can I say about this show...
Whenever I am in a bad mood or when I clean my house, in pops the cd and I end up dancing all around the house.
THE HUMAN HEART was sung at my commitment ceremony (since split.. the bastard.. but I digress). It is one of the best songs ever.
...this is wrong on so many levels... Diane Lane in "Must Love Dogs" "If you have poo, now is the time to fling it" -- The Monkey's from Madagascar
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
OOTI is a wonderful show - but then I LOVE EVERYTHING by Flaherty and Ahrens! (LOL) My absolute favs of a score full of great songs are "The Human Heart", "Ti Moune", "Forever Yours" and "Some Girls". Varese Saraband's "Lost In Boston 3" CD has a superb song cut from the show, sung by La Chanze - "When Daniel Marries".

I know this has been discussed at length but I can't comprehend why anyone thinks "Ragtime" is devoid of emotion. When I saw the show and whenever I listen to the incredible score, I find it just about the most emotional show I've ever encountered. Also "A Man Of No Importance" has the perfect blend of poignant emotion and wit - it is really touching.

But it's great to find that lots of other people agree with me that OOTI is a fab show.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY*****
EffieWhite Profile PhotoEffieWhite Profile Photo
EffieWhite
Stand-by
Stand-by
There is going to be a production of ONCE ON THIS ISLAND this summer at THE BAY STREET THEATRE in Sag Harbor directed and choreographed by Marcia Milgrom Dodge.
"You got the same dress I got?" "Yes.""You got the same wig I got?" "Yes." THEN SHUT UP!
GirlfriendFromCanada
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Is "Waiting For Life to Begin" in this show, or am I thinking of the wrong show?

I've never seen the musical, but I heard that song performed at benefit and I adored it. Is the rest of the score similar to this song? I think I'd really like it if it was!
Menken Fan Profile PhotoMenken Fan Profile Photo
Menken Fan
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Yes, "Waiting for Life" is from this show. So many great songs!
jcr279
Stand-by
Stand-by
Once On This Island is a wonderful show! It has so much energy and a great score in my opinion. We Dance is an awesome opening number when done correctly. We did the show when I was in high school.
Cutielyricist Profile PhotoCutielyricist Profile Photo
Cutielyricist
Stand-by
Stand-by
Bob...I TOTALLY agree with you on EVERYTHING about A=F...they are my favorite songwriters and my role models. They find the heart in everything they create, then write around that heart.