Page: 1

Queer Eye Parody Has Legs!

Queer Eye Parody Has Legs!#0
Posted: 2/23/04 at 9:22am
This program which airs tonight on Comedy Central made me laugh just reading about it.

"...Unlike the Bravo show, in which five gay men help a hapless straight man find his inner metrosexual, these advisers help gay men rediscover their outer alpha male. And like the original, the parody is a one-joke conceit that manages to have legs.

...Sticking closely to the "Queer Eye" formula, "Straight Plan" is as engaging as the show it mercilessly mocks. It is also funnier, which which is not always the case with satire...The humor never gets too cruel or homophobic; the joke is as much on the straight buffoons as it is on their gay clients, shown as good sports who can often get the last word."
[Just ask Richard Goldstein.]

Is there a connection to sexual orientation?

Broadway Bulldog
Straight Plan for the Gay Man
Updated On: 2/23/04 at 09:22 AM
MasterLcZ Profile PhotoMasterLcZ Profile Photo
MasterLcZ
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Gay men don't need to learn how to fire a gun.
They've seen Bette Davis in "The Letter".
"Christ, Bette Davis?!?!"
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Or "Johnny Guitar."
MasterLcZ Profile PhotoMasterLcZ Profile Photo
MasterLcZ
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Exactly.
"Christ, Bette Davis?!?!"
ErikJ972 Profile PhotoErikJ972 Profile Photo
ErikJ972
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
My question is....what possible benefit would I get from getting a make-over from these guys?
papalovesmambo Profile Photopapalovesmambo Profile Photo
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: queers have no legs#5
Posted: 2/23/04 at 10:05am
first i must say that this thread topic name is inflammatory and obviously false. i knwo several homosexual and lesbian people. all of whom have legs!

"[m]y question is....what possible benefit would [i] get from getting a make-over from these guys?"

well, it seems from what i've read that gay men seem to keep falling for straight men, so it will momentarily improve your chances of getting a date (not that you would ever need that ya little stud muffin). plus you'll have a deeper understanding of the macho persona thus allowling you to gain...oh fuhgettaboudit, i can't even finish this...it's all too silly.
r.i.p. marco, my guardian angel.

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective
SueleenGay Profile PhotoSueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: queers have no legs#6
Posted: 2/23/04 at 3:05pm
I know this show is tounge in cheek, but I find it rather offensive, nonethless. Most gay guys have had to "pretend" to be straight most of their lives. We all learned how to "butch it up" as a survival technique. Those days, thankfully, are over since times are changing. Don't make us go back to the days of "My Girlfriend Who Lives In Canada." It reeks of Homophobia. Kind of like, "Well, I don't hate gays, but why do they have to act so girly?"
PEACE.
SonofMammaMiaSam Profile PhotoSonofMammaMiaSam Profile Photo
SonofMammaMiaSam
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: queers have no legs#7
Posted: 2/23/04 at 3:13pm
Tongue in cheek ... the "made over" gay guy turning the gun on the four bubba's and then, using his newly-honed talent and dead-eye accuracy, blowing their testicles off.
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: re: queers have no legs#8
Posted: 2/23/04 at 5:56pm
Sueleen and SonofMamma, humor never hurt anyone, you both know that. Violence hurts. (Unless one dies laughing!)

Besides, Str8 & Gays have been teaching each other for centuries so there's nothing new there.

Bulldog
SonofMammaMiaSam Profile PhotoSonofMammaMiaSam Profile Photo
SonofMammaMiaSam
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: re: re: queers have no legs#9
Posted: 2/24/04 at 8:48am
Bulldog, I respect your opinion. I believe that we are violent by nature, non-violent by nurture. Violence will always exist, but it can be lessened. While my tongue-in-cheek statement might offend, I know from personal experience that humor can sometimes make a point. The five heterosexual men who used their fists, feet and a baseball bat on me several years ago simply because I was gay were only looking to teach me a lesson, not teach me to be a heterosexual. Two broken ribs, a cracked jaw and twenty seven stiches, while not funny, was a powerful lesson about how violent we as human beings can be and often are. These same men had raped and murdered a women the week previously and had robbed a man at gunpoint the following week. At the time, I would have loved to blow off their testicles. I'm not proud of having that feeling, and I certainly don't condone "an eye for an eye", but I do believe in justice. They're in prison, a good thing, but I'd still like to see them spend their prison terms as eunichs.
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: re: re: re: queers have no legs#10
Posted: 2/24/04 at 10:31am
SonofMamma. I know you have a sense of humor, I've enjoyed it many times through your posts.

I am very sorry to hear about your horrible experience. There is no excuse for what they did to you and others. Humans can be abysmally cruel to one another. I can only imagine the anger you continue to experience. In their own way each of these guys were/are tortured souls whether they recognize it or not, in my opinion. I would tend to agree they should remain incarcerated from what you've shared of their past.

As for "Straight Plan for the Gay Man" I watched it and it was a good satire, I did laugh loudly at several things. "Queer Eye" was good for a few episodes for me and I laughed loudly too, then the novelty wore thin. I'm sure it will be the same with "Straight Plan."

I don't take either program seriously and I don't add too much complexity to the behavior depicted.

Be well. Bulldog.

Page: 1