Page: 1

I've just got back from seeing TABOO

JakeB
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I've just got back from seeing TABOO#0
Posted: 2/16/04 at 6:27pm
.. and I absolutely loved it.

I'm one of those people who's really fussy about what I like and what I don't like.. and there are so many productions that ruin it by having small unseen-to details that let it down. Taboo didn't.

I thought the script was very very funny.. but it also knew when enough was enough and it was time for grittiness. Boy George's music isn't distracting from the script, and the script isn't distracting from the music.

The costumes were great fun, though I was glad that I was 'looking in' and not by any means a part of the 80s era. At times I wondered whether the whole 'this is us' thing would become too much, but the 'Bromley-family' made there something to ground yourself on.

Thought the set worked excellently too. One fixed nightclub set where everything happens around it. How funny that this works so badly for some musicals, yet so well for this. (I'm thinking of course of Rent, where I found the staging on that metallic wreck a big fat mess).

The star of the show for me? No, not Boy George, no, not Leigh Bowery - but Phillip Sallon. What a performance! (though the lesbians in front of us did NOT laugh at the jokes poking fun at them.. they're the ones missing out..) I have to say, I did DREAD it when Leigh Bowery came out. I'm pleased I never saw the original London production, in such a smaller intimate atmosphere I think it would have been much more uncomfortable.

Without the lure of free tickets, I don't think I would have bucked up the courage to see this.. again, that was another reason I didn't want to see it in London, it's just not really my thing. But having seen it, I'm so glad I went and will certainly recommend it to friends.

Jake.

P.S For those wondering, I'm talking about the UK tour I've just got back from seeing TABOO
Chrysanthemum62001
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: I've just got back from seeing TABOO#1
Posted: 2/16/04 at 6:45pm
Who is playing Phillip Sallon in the tour?
"What a mystery this world. One day you love them and the next day you want to kill them a thousand times over." The Masked Bandit in THE FALL
LC
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
Drew Jamyson, who originally played Steve Strange in the West End version, and can be heard singing Out Of Fashion as a solo on the UK cast CD.
Jane2 Profile PhotoJane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I was wondering whose voice that was today as I was listening to the cd again. Very nice job on that song! but I did like the broadway version better, which had all the leads singing.
<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES
LC
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
It was a quartet in the London show, I just think BG wanted to give all the key peformers a solo on the CD.
Jane2 Profile PhotoJane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I see! I sure hope he doesn't do that on the NY cd!
<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES
LC
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
Don't think so re: re: re: re: re: re: I've just got back from seeing TABOO They all have their big solos in the Broadway version.