Page: 1

Broadway Puzzler #62

Broadway Puzzler #62#0
Posted: 2/14/04 at 6:44pm
This non-musical play of the 1930s first went to film then to Broadway musical nearly 30 years later. It was contemporized and the author of the original play was co-author of the musical book before his death. It is rarely produced today although the score is quite fine. The composer and lyricist had a bigger contemporay hit 4 seasons earlier.

Name the musical?
Name the co-author
Who are the composer & lyricist?

Broadway Bulldog
magruder Profile Photomagruder Profile Photo
magruder
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Broadway Puzzler #62#1
Posted: 2/14/04 at 6:50pm
GOLDEN BOY
Co-author: Clifford Odets
Composer/Lyricist: Charles Strouse, Lee Adams
Earlier hit: Bye Bye Birdie
"Gif me the cobra jool!"
Belter
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: re: Broadway Puzzler #62#2
Posted: 2/14/04 at 7:03pm
Is that the answer? I was thinking Pygmalion, which became My Fair Lady -- since there was a film in the 30s and a musical approximately 30 years later ... and Shaw's script is nearly intact in a lot of places in My Fair Lady ... however, Shaw died in 1950, and Pygmalion was written in 1914.

So then I thought about Chicago, which was a play called Roxie Hart (?) and then Ginger Rogers did the part in a movie, also called Roxie Hart ... and of course, it became Chicago ... but I'm not sure if Kander and Ebb had a hit four years before, nor if the original writer was involved in the musical script ...

So it's Golden Boy? How was it contemporized??

I just returned from seeing Can Can this afternoon, and my friend and I were talking about our disappointment in the choice of Bye, Bye Birdie as one of the shows coming up in their season. I was wishing for a different Adams and Strouse musical ... say It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's Superman -- which also has several yesses when answering this puzzler (film [okay, comic book!], contemporized, then a musical) .... so it could be the answer, too. Couldn't it? ....
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: re: re: Broadway Puzzler #62#3
Posted: 2/15/04 at 7:42am
Magruder is filling his cigar box!

Why to go!

(Sorry Belter.)

Page: 1