Page: 1

"La Cage Aux Folles" Broadway Revival 2004

COLT!!! Profile PhotoCOLT!!! Profile Photo
COLT!!!
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
Has anyone heard who will be playing the leading roles in the planned Broadway revial of "La Cage Aux Folles" scheduled for an October 2004 opening?
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Clay Aiken. And introducing Ruben Studdard as Albin.
Can you hear me now? Twitter: @NamoInExile
COLT!!!
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
Yeah. Thanks anyway.
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
You're very welcome. Giddyup horsey!
theatermafia Profile Phototheatermafia Profile Photo
theatermafia
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Namo I love your Icon. That jerk never looked better.
COLT!!!
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
You forgot the additional two exclamation marks for "Horsey!!!"
I don't care what you say about me as long as you spell my name correctly.
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I have no idea what you are talking about. I was making a reference to you coltness. Is there something you're trying to tell the group about your identity?
BrdwyThtr Profile PhotoBrdwyThtr Profile Photo
BrdwyThtr
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
It hasn't been cast yet. They don't even start rehearsals until July, so expect the announcement in June.
Dollypop
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I have it from good sources that the producers of the LA CAGE revival are hoping to get Gary Beach and Denis O'Hare for the two leads.
"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
And that's two of the very few things that would ever get me into that theater.
MasterLcZ Profile PhotoMasterLcZ Profile Photo
MasterLcZ
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Ditto.

But if ever a Broadway musical cried out for a heavily re-written book, this is it.
"Christ, Bette Davis?!?!"
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Master, you say "But if ever a Broadway musical cried out for a heavily re-written book, this is it."

In my opinion that needs to be amended to, "But if ever a Broadway musical cried out 'No Revival,' this is it."

I for one am plain tired of yet another gay-themed/gay-character musical. Enough already!
GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY.

How many times does it need to be said before it ceases to be a novelty? Does it really have to be rammed down everyone's throat?

I'm not anti-gay. I just don't believe that personal sexual preferences need to be the subject of every friggin' show on Broadway.

Broadway Bulldog
Dollypop
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
As fond as I am of WILL AND GRACE and QUEER EYE, I think we can apply Bulldog's sentiments to television as well. Every show seems to have at least one gay character. At first this was refreshing, but we're suffering from overkill at the present time!
tpdc
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I am not a big fan of LA CAGE and I think for success in 2004 it not only needs a drastically re-written book it also needs more high powered names than Beach and O'Hare.

I don't think LA CAGE is about being gay, it's a wedding farce with a little father/son sentiment on the side. At least that is what the other versions of it have been. Fierstein's 1984 book was more focused on being gay than the film versions.
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"How many times does it need to be said before it ceases to be a novelty? Does it really have to be rammed down everyone's throat?"

Why is it that that sort of imagery is always used by people who are "not anti-gay?" Rammed down everyone's throat.

I was listening to yell radio on my AM dial the other day and as you can imagine, there's a bit of a hubbub over the gay marriage flap. And I listened to this guy, who proudly declared that he is "not anti-gay" go on and on about "I'll be comfortable if we give them civil unions," as if anybody asked that "we" to "give" people rights that the court has already said they deserve. But he went on and on about how marriage is a round hole and gay couples are a sqare peg and this Massachusetts ruling is trying to ram the square peg into the round hole with the expectation that the hole would become square, which would therefore change the definition of marriage. It was specious argument, with such telling imagery that I think says more about the person who chooses it than argues their point.

Updated On: 2/8/04 at 08:54 PM
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I agree with yout tdpc. The film was far far superior than the dopey stage musical. The film was about more important issues. The musical was simply about being GAY GAY GAY GAY!

Bulldog
papalovesmambo Profile Photopapalovesmambo Profile Photo
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
now admit it, namo, you just listen to those screamers for the detailed explanation of things being rammed into holes. what a poorly chosen and hilariously freudian metaphor.
r.i.p. marco, my guardian angel.

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective
Dollypop
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
In its favor, though, LA CAGE has a wonderful Jerry Herman score.
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
And, of course, Bulldog's was just as Freudian! The other one that gets repeated frequently plays less into the forced sodomy fears/fantasies (because really, what is a fear other than a fantasy a person is afraid to admit he or she has?) and that is: "I'm not anti-gay, but I don't know why they always have to shove it in our faces." Okay, I guess it IS another forced sodomy fantasy.
BrdwyThtr Profile PhotoBrdwyThtr Profile Photo
BrdwyThtr
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Harvey Fierstein has mentioned that he will be doing some re-writes for the revival. I imagine that's why he's leaving Hairspray in May.
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The choice of words was deliberate, not a slip--Freudian or otherwise.

plus ca change...

Bulldog
Updated On: 2/9/04 at 07:13 AM
leeinlondon
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Aye Bulldog you will be telling us some of your best friends are gay next...

By the way who is the hunk on your postings ?
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Bulldog wrote: "...not a slip--Freudian or otherwise."

I never said it was a slip. But it definitely was Freudian whether you care to admit it or not. I'll be waiting for you to bring up this notion in yet another thread (because, let's face it, you've done it before) with imagery like, "I don't understand why they have to ram their GAY GAY GAYness in and out and in and out and in and out all the time."
MusicalComedyMan
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I think La Cage is an incredible musical. I'm tired of seeing all this "STR8" theatre. Back in the good ol' days of Shakespeare it was always man on man... then women had to get involved. Its about time we go back to the way theatre was intended to be ALL MEN ALL THE TIME!!!