Posted: 11/23/21 at 10:07pm
"It's an idiom, you idiot!"
Anakela Profile Photo
Anakela
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend | Joined: 7/10/05

CLYDE’S Reviews

Posted: 11/23/21 at 10:14pm

Jeffrey Karasarides said: "Clyde’s’ Broadway Review: Uzo Aduba’s Devil Wouldn’t Be Caught Dead in Prada - The Wrap"

The Wrap and I saw different plays. To start, in mine it was Rafael in recovery, not Letitia. 

kwoc91
Stand-by
Stand-by | Joined: 9/2/21

CLYDE’S Reviews

Posted: 11/24/21 at 4:52pm

Excited to see this on Friday!

kwoc91
Stand-by

CLYDE’S Reviews

Posted: 11/29/21 at 10:01am

Well my friend and I both thought this was a huge misfire, and we were left wondering if we saw a different show than the critics.

This felt like a sitcom, in the worst way. The characters were at a 10 the entire time, just...so much shouting and yelling. I'm also not entirely sure what the point of the show was? Yes, incarcerated people carry that experience and stigma with them after they leave prison, that's not exactly a bold new sentiment. And Clyde/the restaurant being a stand-in for the devil/Hell couldn't have been more obvious if it tried.

The audience was awful too, which could be why I hated the overall experience so much. Like...bursting into applause after any semblance of a sentimental line of dialogue bad.

So it goes!

Updated On: 11/29/21 at 10:01 AM
gibsons2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star | Joined: 8/26/19

CLYDE’S Reviews

Posted: 11/29/21 at 2:01pm

kwoc91 said: "Well my friend and I both thought this was a huge misfire, and we were left wondering if we saw a different show than the critics.

This felt like a sitcom, in the worst way. The characters were at a 10 the entire time, just...so much shouting and yelling. I'm also not entirely sure what the point of the show was? Yes, incarcerated people carry that experience and stigma with them after they leave prison, that's not exactly a bold new sentiment. And Clyde/the restaurant being a stand-in for the devil/Hell couldn't have been more obvious if it tried.

The audience was awful too, which could be why I hated the overall experience so much. Like...bursting into applause after any semblance of a sentimental line of dialogue bad.

So it goes!
"

I've had the same exact experience. The dialogues were very trivial, predictable and honestly, some situations felt overused and unoriginal. The marquee says that Clyde's is the feel-good play of the season, but I felt very disappointed from the start and couldn't wait for it to be over. I can't believe it was written by Lynn Nottage. 

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend | Joined: 9/20/18

CLYDE’S Reviews

Posted: 11/29/21 at 2:53pm

Why on earth would they open this the Tuesday before Thanksgiving? I suspect the reviews got lost in the shuffle for most people. And then the timing of Sondheim's death couldn't have helped.

kwoc91
Stand-by

CLYDE’S Reviews

Posted: 11/29/21 at 3:22pm

gibsons2 said: The dialogues were very trivial, predictable and honestly, some situations felt overused and unoriginal. The marquee says that Clyde's is the feel-good play of the season, but I felt very disappointed from the start and couldn't wait for it to be over."

Agreed. As soon as someone said the line about no one knowing why Montrellous went to prison, I knew it would be told to us at some point toward the end of the show, and that it would be some sort of attempted tearjerker moment. Entirely predictable. 

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend | Joined: 12/25/09

CLYDE’S Reviews

Posted: 11/29/21 at 4:15pm

It’s certainly not groundbreaking theatre, nor is it’s Nottage’s best work, but I enjoyed myself for the 100 minute, $30 diversion that it was. 

It was definitely sitcom-y and a little too ham-fisted at times (pun intended) but I’m not mad that I saw it and I thought the cast was uniformly good with Aduba slithering with ferocity in leatherette and stilettos. 

Also, if the push-up bras in her outfits went any higher, they would have to make a special Tony for Best Supporting Of A Leading Actress In A Play

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm
BoringBoredBoard40
Broadway Star
Broadway Star | Joined: 9/27/21

CLYDE’S Reviews

Posted: 12/17/21 at 8:10pm

Just FYI Ron Cephas Jones is out all weekend

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend | Joined: 12/25/09

CLYDE’S Reviews

Posted: 12/17/21 at 9:57pm

BoringBoredBoard40 said: "Just FYI Ron Cephas Jones is out all weekend"

WORTH NOTING THAT THIS ABSENCE WAS PRE-PLANNED (Sorry, with all the COVID closures, I wanted to make sure this was stated)

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm
BoringBoredBoard40
Broadway Star

CLYDE’S Reviews

Posted: 12/18/21 at 1:01am

Wish I had known it was preplanned but glad to hear, dude had a double lung transplant so may he be safe

DiscoCrows Profile Photo
DiscoCrows
Broadway Star
Broadway Star | Joined: 11/15/18

CLYDE’S Reviews

Posted: 1/5/22 at 1:39am

Anyone stream this yet or see how that ended up going? Definitely planning on doing it, if not later this week perhaps for today’s matinee on a long car ride. Curious if it works on mobile devices, is pausable at all, is just a single house cam, and more or less how it all came together.

Friendly reminder the 2ST $30 Under 30 discount applies to the stream, just use the code 30UNDER30 at checkout.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend | Joined: 10/9/05

CLYDE’S Reviews

Posted: 1/5/22 at 9:18am

I was at the show last night and really enjoyed myself. I went into this one totally blind and we ended up having a really great time.

Last night was the very first recording and there were multiple cameras under the mezz. I was told this was going to be done for “Take Me Out”, as well. Im so happy to hear that and would love if this became a normal thing for every 2ST show. 

fosseboi008
Swing
Swing | Joined: 5/3/09

CLYDE’S Reviews

Posted: 1/5/22 at 2:20pm

Anyone checking out the simulcast today? Doesn't seem to be starting yet at the theatre? I heard there are two understudies going on.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend | Joined: 10/9/05

CLYDE’S Reviews

Posted: 1/5/22 at 3:10pm

There were two understudies last night, as well. 

VintageSnarker
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend | Joined: 1/30/15

CLYDE’S Reviews

Posted: 1/13/22 at 1:25pm

After reading the Vulture review, I think this would play better if I'd seen Sweat. 

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend | Joined: 8/10/17

CLYDE’S Reviews

Posted: 1/13/22 at 9:28pm

I just bought my ticket to watch the livestream on Sunday afternoon. Excited! 

A Director
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend | Joined: 12/18/07

CLYDE’S Reviews

Posted: 1/14/22 at 12:23am

VintageSnarker said: "After reading the Vulture review, I think this would play better if I'd seen Sweat."

Pay no attention to Helen Shaw.I have seen Sweat and Clyde's, they are stand alone plays. In Sweat, we learn about Jason and his crime; his backstory if you will.  In Clyde's, Nottage gives the audience enough information about Jason to understand him.

Ms Shaw mentions somethings that happen, but not the way she says.  There are things about the play I don't think Ms Shaw understands.

BoringBoredBoard40
Broadway Star

CLYDE’S Reviews

Posted: 1/15/22 at 10:56pm

I love love LOVED this and I think it might be the best new play on Broadway this season.

Also loved the connection to SWEAT but as other have said I don't think you need to have seen it to enjoy Clyde's

This for me is probably the front runner for pulitzer right now