Skip to main content Skip to footer site map

THE MINUTES
pixeltracker

“Schitt’s Creek” star Noah Reid to replace Armie Hammer in “The Minutes”; Original Cast To Return

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend | Joined: 12/25/09
Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm
Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend | Joined: 10/9/05
Oooooooooooooooooooh. <3 <3 <3
Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend | Joined: 2/26/16

Oh yay. Allegations aside, Hammer was quite a dull performer in Straight White Men (at least when I saw it) so I'm glad this was recast. Happy to buy a ticket!

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.
BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend | Joined: 2/27/06
Patrick! Love Noah Reid. This’ll now get me to see this.
JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend | Joined: 4/6/12

Great casting! I don't know him outside of Schitt's Creek, but from that role alone it seems like this role in The Minutes will fit like a glove. 

I'm not sure if it's enough to get me to see the show again. I liked the show, but usually don't see things twice unless there's a replacement actor I REALLY want to see. Not sure Noah Reid fits the bill for me, but I have no doubt that he'll be great.

FWIW, I thought Armie Hammer was much better in The Minutes than he was in Straight White Men. But he wasn't irreplaceable in the show, by any means. 

Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend | Joined: 1/1/70

Valentina3 said: "Oh yay. Allegations aside,Hammer was quite a dull performer in Straight White Men (at least when I saw it) so I'm glad this was recast. Happy to buy a ticket!"

He really didn't have much charisma on stage when I saw him either. I'm not a fan of people being blacklisted for unsubstantiated accusations but I am definitely in favor of bad actors being replaced with good actors.

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend | Joined: 12/25/09

Valentina3 said: "Oh yay. Allegations aside,Hammer was quite a dull performer in Straight White Men (at least when I saw it) so I'm glad this was recast. Happy to buy a ticket!"

From my recollection, his character in a play called “Straight White Men” wasn’t really plumbing the depths of his acting abilities.

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm
Falsettolands
Stand-by
Stand-by | Joined: 11/18/13

I may have to re-visit Big Cherry. I *really* thought this was awful during its initial previews, but I'm willing to give it another chance with someone with a tad more charisma running the ship.

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend | Joined: 7/20/13
Great musician, this should be really great.
Kad Profile Photo
Kad
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend | Joined: 11/5/05

The role is pretty thankless and bland- not particularly a great showcase for anybody. And honestly, I'm surprised the play is coming back at all.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."
Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend | Joined: 2/26/16

Kad said: "The role is pretty thankless and bland- not particularly a great showcase for anybody. And honestly, I'm surprised the play is coming back at all."

Curious why you say that. I'd have thought this was a sure thing, considering the names attached to the project and the play being a Pulitzer finalist.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.
ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend | Joined: 2/11/06
Nice!
A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.
MemorableUserName
Broadway Star
Broadway Star | Joined: 3/27/19

Valentina3 said: "Kad said: "The role is pretty thankless and bland- not particularly a great showcase for anybody. And honestly, I'm surprised the play is coming back at all."

Curious why you say that. I'd have thought this was a sure thing, considering the names attached to the project and the play being a Pulitzer finalist.
"

The box office numbers weren't good in the few weeks before the shutdown, and that was with an ostensible "star" in the lead:

https://www.broadwayleague.com/research/grosses-broadway-nyc/525378/48895/

Reactions were decidedly mixed in both its Chicago run and to the Broadway previews, and being a Pulitzer finalist two years earlier (and now four years earlier) doesn't seem like it would help much. Plus it has a hard-to-describe premise, which doesn't help sell it.

Yeah, I was surprised it was coming back too. If audiences weren't interested before the shutdown, it's hard to imagine they would be now. (Though admittedly Noah Reid is nearly enough to get me to attend. Almost. But not quite.)

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend | Joined: 4/6/12

If they really wanted to sell tickets, they'd boot the current cast and make it a whole Schitt's Creek reunion - Eugene replacing Letts, O'Hara replacing Blair Brown, Sarah Levy replacing Mueller, Chris Elliott replacing Austin Pendleton - wait...did I just joke my way into a legitimately brilliant idea? 

Updated On: 10/15/21 at 10:21 PM
RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend | Joined: 8/14/05

They could just do Schitt's Creek live and sell-out some massive theater for one weekend and make all the money they'd need. 

I think this is a smart move for Reid. He was a great supporting player on a great show, but I'm not sure he's gonna put booties in seats, but I mean, if I was in town I'd def go see it. But I like Letts .

Damiensta
Stand-by
Stand-by | Joined: 5/11/12
As soon who says it in previews , I agree with poster about surprised that it’s coming back. There really wasn’t anything special about play; It was just okay. I believe that it was barely selling back then. I wouldn’t be surprised if it closes early. They could of at least try to get a big name. Character is basically the straight man around kooky characters.
The standouts were Blair Brown and Austin Pendleton
CopleyScott17
Chorus Member
Chorus Member | Joined: 5/5/19

I agree 100% -- the play certainly wasn't boring, but it wasn't very good.  I'd much rather see "Hangmen" get another chance.  I thought it was brilliantly written, acted, and staged.  And in terms of charisma and star power, give me Dan Stevens over Armie Hammer any day.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend | Joined: 11/5/05

Valentina3 said: "Kad said: "The role is pretty thankless and bland- not particularly a great showcase for anybody. And honestly, I'm surprised the play is coming back at all."

"

As others have said, it's not a bad production or play at all. It's a cast stacked with top-tier performers. The play is pleasingly weird and funny, most of the time. It just never becomes more than the sum of its parts, and its resolution felt a little half-baked. Word of mouth was largely just... fine. Despite tackling the heavy theme of how to deal with the legacy of racism in America, it ended up feeling very slight and undercooked. 

Noah Reid may bring a better everyman, Jimmy Stewart quality that his role needs that Armie Hammer lacked- he's far more relatable than Hammer, who can never really shake the air of the patrician that comes with being a model-gorgeous heir to a fortune, and that may help everything snap into place a bit better, but who knows?

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."