Skip to main content Skip to footer site map

Page: 1

What makes NYC the “best city in the world?”

SouthernCakes
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend | Joined: 7/29/19
As someone who has lived there for 10 years and recently relocated I dont see how its the best. Its fine and lots of positive moments. But Id say London is slightly ahead. Thoughts? What makes it the best for you? Where else have you been that youve loved?
JGPR2
Understudy
Understudy | Joined: 2/18/17

Personally, I like London better than NYC also. I enjoy the West End more than Broadway, great shows, tickets are cheaper and audience is better behaved. The Underground transportation system is cleaner and more timely. The history of London is fantastic and it is incredible to see things like "Buckingham Palace" (seeing the crossing of the guard is awesome), "Tower Of London", "Big Ben" and "Westminster Abbey". The only real advantage I give NYC is the food is much better -lol.

The other two cities outside of the US I really loved was Rome and Athens. The other city I really loved in the US was SF but I was there a couple of decades ago, not sure I would love it today.

Updated On: 4/23/21 at 10:06 AM
Highland Guy Profile Photo
Highland Guy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star | Joined: 12/10/18

I   LOVE   LONDON   !!

NUEK
Updated On: 5/11/21 at 03:27 PM
JennH
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend | Joined: 11/14/13

Maybe it's just the past messy year talking, but in reality NYC, while certainly not an uncool place, isn't all it's been made out to be. Its cracks and overhyped qualities certainly have been revealed in this pandemic. I've been living here for almost 7 years and have been trying my best to find a way to leave. 

Just an interesting note to see a couple people here give a shout out to London. I've never been there myself (one layover years ago doesn't count LOL) but most people I know who have been there, say it's just another NYC, except with it's own unique UK/European qualities. I've heard its Underground is way ahead of our Subway and it's no secret shows are cheaper there (that reality is because their Equity is even weaker than ours, thanks to Thatcher), but I guess from an outside POV, it seems like just another metro of hustle and bustle.

As a native of CA, SF used to be pretty great, but it's gone downhill quite a bit over the past decade. Living there has officially outpaced NYC in overall cost, it's near impossible to live there or even anywhere in the Bay Area itself anymore. And that high time traffic...holy moly, it gives LA/SoCal traffic a run for its money and that's saying something. 

SmoothLover Profile Photo
SmoothLover
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend | Joined: 7/3/15

Covid stripped the city down to the cracks in the side walk. Pre Covid you could not beat it culturally, always so much going on from Fashion Week to huge concerts and exciting sporting events. People visiting from all over the world awestruck with the city landmarks and history or a simple stroll through Central Park. I do not know if it it the best city in the world but it is certainly up there.

George in DC Profile Photo
George in DC
Stand-by
Stand-by | Joined: 5/21/19

SmoothLover said: "Covid stripped the city down to the cracks in the side walk. Pre Covid you could not beatit culturally"

Sure you could - Paris beats NYC culturally as do many cities in Europe and Asia.

Phantom4ever
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend | Joined: 9/17/07

A tough question to answer because so much of what makes New York City great is the atmosphere and the buzz. 

Even the comments on this thread, in its own cool New York way, show how it's the greatest city. What other city in the world could have a thread about it being the greatest city and then have people come and hate on it/criticize it?  That might be the coolest/best thing about New York; people come and complain about the garbage on the sidewalk, the rats in the subway, the noise, and nobody ever says "oh no! we better do something!" People say the exact opposite. 

I think of New York as the best city because it attracts the best of the best in so many fields. And, it is very telling that the minute you say New York has very good A, B, or C, it'll be mere seconds before somebody says "yeah but so does Portland!  so does Chicago! So does Wichita!"   That's how people react to New York.  They get defensive and angry. But then ask a New Yorker about Portland, Chicago, Wichita.  Chances are they would say that those cities are cool and should be visited. It's just a given that New York is the best in terms of being a city. New York doesn't have anything to prove.With Wall Street, banking, finance, international relations with the United Nations HQ, Broadway, Madison Avenue (advertising), publishing, fashion, television all being headquartered in New York, it is quite  vibrant place to me. Yes, it does get a bit muffled in July and August when Manhattan gets overrun with flyover country tourists, but man oh man once September and October come, that is when New York's best city status really shines. 

Updated On: 4/26/21 at 03:52 PM
SmoothLover
Broadway Legend

George in DC said: "SmoothLover said: "Covid stripped the city down to the cracks in the side walk. Pre Covid you could not beatit culturally"

Sure you could - Paris beats NYC culturally as do many cities in Europe and Asia.

"
To each his own I guess. DC seems like a pretty cool place to live too.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend | Joined: 5/17/03
Sadly it no longer is
Poster Emeritus
iluvtheatertrash
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend | Joined: 11/9/04
You don’t even live here, Roxy. Please go away.
"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman
SouthernCakes
Broadway Legend
During Covid I moved out of the city and I remember getting so much flack for “not being a true New Yorker” and all that crap. Just interesting. I think it’s a fine city but it’s over priced for what you get. There’s no central air. The subway on its best day is hot and over crowded. You can’t even eat on the street without someone asking you for change. It has a ton of art and theater but so does London, so do so many other cities.

My main issue is that they keep building up, but not improving the subway. So they’re adding more and more high rises which means more people but not improving the subway system in any real way. They build new stations but the stations are still just hot and steamy and an odd use of space.
Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend | Joined: 7/20/13

So, you're surprised that they are building luxury buildings for wealthy people who will spend a fortune in the city instead of putting air cooling systems in every single subway station in the 4 boroughs in NYC?

K. 

Updated On: 5/7/21 at 04:45 PM
SmoothLover
Broadway Legend

SouthernCakes said: "During Covid I moved out of the city and I remember getting so much flack for “not being a true New Yorker” and all that crap. Just interesting. I think it’s a fine city but it’s over priced for what you get. There’s no central air. The subway on its best day is hot and over crowded. You can’t even eat on the street without someone asking you for change. It has a ton of art and theater but so does London, so do so many other cities.

My main issue is that they keep building up, but not improving the subway. So they’re adding more and more high rises which means more people but not improving the subway system in any real way. They build new stations but the stations are still just hot and steamy and an odd use of space.
"

Where prey tell did you move too?

SouthernCakes
Broadway Legend

Sutton Ross said: "So, you're surprised that they are building luxury buildings for wealthy people who will spend a fortune in the city instead of putting air cooling systems in every single subway station in the 4 boroughs in NYC?

K.
"

Well it’s more so, they keep building up but not fixing the subway system that has been there since World war 1 and just adding more and more people to it. Stand at 72 during rush hour it’s insane. 

and moved to LA for work related reasons!

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend | Joined: 7/20/13

I live a few blocks from the 72nd St subway, I am aware of the craziness, but that's just part of living here.

LA is fun, gorgeous weather, good luck to you. 

SouthernCakes
Broadway Legend

Sutton Ross said: "I live a few blocks from the 72nd St subway, I am aware of the craziness, but that's just part of living here.

LA is fun, gorgeous weather, good luck to you.
"

It does. it’s May and people are wearing jackets. Love it. 
But see, don’t you think you should want more instead of “this is how it is.” I don’t dig that. The platform is the same as it was in the 1950s. Cities are suppose to change and evolve and doesn’t seem like nyc has done that